The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Found out about my type 1 diabetes Jan 08, not that long really. It was my boyfrined who diagnosed my type 1 diabetes, not the doctor. I was very thin, could not put on any weight no matter how much food I ate!!! I was tired all the time, getting up about 4 times a night to go to the toilet, overall generally unwell!!!! I kept going to the doctor because I knew something wasn't right, but he just kept sending me away! My boyfriend used the internet and input all my symptoms. I went to the doctor and got tested straight way!!!!

I would like to hear how you found out about your diabetes. I don't really know anyone with Type 1 diabetes, and it would be nice to talk to someone who is going through the same thing.
xxx :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello and welcome! I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1945 when I was 6. Not much was known about diabetes back then and the first three doctors who examined me didi not make a diagnosis. My parents took me to a fourth doctor and I was finally diagnosed. There are still some doctors today (like yours) who do not recognize the symptoms and do not make the correct diagnosis. There are almost 24 million diabetics in the USA so you would think that ALL doctors would know as much as possible about it and be able to recognize the symptoms. I realize you are from the UK but I know many diabetics online who live there and they tell the say things about some of their doctors.

Ask all the questions you want. We are here to help!

Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello There: :)

Well, you sure are a Newbie to Diabetes. Thank Goodness that your Boyfriend connected your symptoms to Type 1. Terrific that you kept going back to your Dr. Good for you. Many don't until they have unfortunate damage.

Well, I can't help you much with your question. I was 3 years old when I was dxd. and I honestly don't remember any symptoms or being dxd. for that matter. I first remember hearing the word Diabetes when I was 6 years old. I was about 8 when I heard that I would be blind by age 19, have amputations by age 30 and death by about age 35. Obviously, those old bitties were incorrect. ;) Welcome!

My 2 older Brothers were both dxd. at age 4 before I was. I guess my Mom just knew the symptoms to look for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts