Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hey Gang!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  onlymep 
#1 ·
I'm Robert though go by Rob to friends so since I am among friends we'll go with Rob :p I've been a Type 2 since 1997 and have used pretty much all the meds to the point that now I've been told the high dosage of metformin put me at Stage 4 kidney disease. I use the Bayer Contour USB and absolutely think its the BEST meter I've had. Speaking of meters where would one post a message offering a free meter and test strips? Oh well I got off on another tangent...lmao...ya'll feel free to yell at me, throw rocks at me or just say hi!

#3 ·
Welcome Rob!

#5 ·
... and a hearty :welcome: from me, also!

#6 ·
I've never heard that about metformin, either. I take a very high dose , now you have me worried. I also use a Contour meter and like them. I just got a free USB meter from the Bayer website with free 25 strips. Welcome to DF.

G
#7 · (Edited)
welcome Rob :) I was diagnosed type 2 in 98. I used to take Metformin at all different doses for approx 5 years and I simply couldn't tolerate it. My docs finally agreed to take me off it. I was then trialled on all the other drugs on the market (except the Avandia one that apparently causes heart problems and has been banned now here). The fact is none of the oral drugs helped lower my BGLs. Last Feb I demanded to know why and asked for GAD and C-peptide tests to be done. It turns out I don't produce enough of my insulin anymore and that's why oral drugs weren't working. I'm now on full time insulin and still being closely monitored by my endo. It makes me wonder how long I had been like this? (maybe I should have been on insulin a lot sooner). I haven't heard of Metformin damaging kidneys... although I wouldn't be surprised as I know it is the only drug that works on the liver.... and all drugs have to pass through your kidneys I guess. Have your docs taken you off Metformin now? Do you know current state of your pancreas? Have you had recent C-peptide & GAD test done? If not, ask for it. Even though you may still produce you own insulin (as I do), you may not be producing enough. All the sites I've read they estimate most people wind up on insulin in about 12 years or so due to beta cell damage in pancreas. Personally I have GI problems at the moment and I sometimes wonder if Metformin is what stuffed my GI tract up... I still haven't diagnosis as yet... but my whole GI tract upset and I chronically burp constantly, get nauseated, upset bowel, etc. On Metformin it upset my GI tract constantly too... that's why I'm wondering. hmmm. But I've also been on tonne of antibiotics too in last 4 years... so I've had too much drugs really. Drugs are supposed to make us better right? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.