The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi.

I joined the T1 club in 2007 at the ripe old age of 52. Needless to say it was quite a surprise - but at least I'm unique! No-one else in my family is a member:D.

As for meds, it's Levemir and Novolog for me. A few vitamins: Fish oil, CoQ10, D, B12 and calcium (the usual suspects). My last A1C was 5.6 - yay!

I follow a lower-carb diet (no rice, spuds, pasta), but do indulge in some bread since I love to bake it. I've found that you cannot be a total Ascetic as a diebetic - it's too depressing. Picking something that you aren't willing to give up, but are willing to moderate makes foregoing the other things so much more bearable. Diabetes has made me a much more adventurous cook - always looking for lower-carb ways to do things. No one ever leaves my house hungry, or even knowing that they're participating in the lower-carb experiment.

Glad to have found you all!

Jen

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just wanted to say hi.

I joined the T1 club in 2007 at the ripe old age of 52. Needless to say it was quite a surprise - but at least I'm unique! No-one else in my family is a member:D.

As for meds, it's Levemir and Novolog for me. A few vitamins: Fish oil, CoQ10, D, B12 and calcium (the usual suspects). My last A1C was 5.6 - yay!

I follow a lower-carb diet (no rice, spuds, pasta), but do indulge in some bread since I love to bake it. I've found that you cannot be a total Ascetic as a diebetic - it's too depressing. Picking something that you aren't willing to give up, but are willing to moderate makes foregoing the other things so much more bearable. Diabetes has made me a much more adventurous cook - always looking for lower-carb ways to do things. No one ever leaves my house hungry, or even knowing that they're participating in the lower-carb experiment.

Jen
Boy am I glad to meet YOU! (May I now direct you to the recipes board to make a few contributions?! heheh! :D) I love that your guests aren't even aware!

I heartily agree . . . there are many times our kids come home & get fed low-carb the whole time, and don't really know it! Sometimes they "kinda" know it, but then they say 'wow - I LIKE this!' And I even send them the recipes sometimes - never hurts to raise their consciousness a little.

Make yourself at home here, Jen, and thank you for joining us. With advice from you, maybe I can get my A1c down where yours is!

take care & be well,

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just wanted to say hi.

Jen
Great to meet you Jen! You have an awesome attitude...it really makes a difference in your life doesnt it? I like to think that yes..I am diabetic...but I am also a wife, a sister, a daughter, a nurse, a friend and so much more. We have to manage our disease and still live life. I agree that sometimes you just have to have some little treat that you cant completely give up or you just arent living. You just have to plan for it and account for it. That would be great if you could share some recipes. I really need to post a few I have come across too. I have gotten a lot of great ideas from Shanny.

BTW...I want to have an A1c like yours when I grow up :p

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Jen, welcome aboard! Your attitude is awesome and your A1c is great. We have the same A1c, does that make us twins? Lol! I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. With the good control you and I have we can live long, healthy lives. I am only 70 now, I have a long way to go before I am old.

Good luck in the years ahead. I hope you stay with us and share recipes and more details of your success!

Richard

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome, jen! This is a very congenial group - I'm a recent member, myself. As a T2 on insulin, I'm always interested in T1 postings.

I'm like you about cooking, too, although not really about baking, per se. I cook a lot for my friends & family and often, they don't know they're eating particularly healthy. Of course, the teens among them complain because I don't have the kind of "junk food" on hand they're accustomed to, but that's not a bad thing in my book.

We're in the same age bracket, too. I'm just a couple of years older than you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts