The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:yo: Well, how do I start this? 44 yr old female from Illinois. I was diagnosed two years ago with Type 2 Diabetes. My whole family has Diabetes. From Juvenile, to Type 2. Lost my father who could never keep his BS up in the normal range to Pancreatic Cancer 20 years ago. Me, I went into denial that I have it. I am disgusted with myself for letting it get this bad. Taking your meds for 3 months and thinking your doing ok with out them is just stupidity at it's finest. So here I am to learn from you all how to get my health stabilized. I am on my meds and I see an Endocrinologist a week from this Monday. I just saw my NPR who was of no help and I could have taken up slap boxing with her real easy. :boxing:
I have been reading a lot of threads and hope to participate daily.

Thanks Marybeth

·
Registered
583 Posts
:yo: Well, how do I start this? 44 yr old female from Illinois. I was diagnosed two years ago with Type 2 Diabetes. My whole family has Diabetes. From Juvenile, to Type 2. Lost my father who could never keep his BS up in the normal range to Pancreatic Cancer 20 years ago. Me, I went into denial that I have it. I am disgusted with myself for letting it get this bad. Taking your meds for 3 months and thinking your doing ok with out them is just stupidity at it's finest. So here I am to learn from you all how to get my health stabilized. I am on my meds and I see an Endocrinologist a week from this Monday. I just saw my NPR who was of no help and I could have taken up slap boxing with her real easy. :boxing:
I have been reading a lot of threads and hope to participate daily.

Thanks Marybeth
Hi Marybeth! Don't beat yourself up....it's great that you are ready to get the situation under more control and I like your sense of humor!! :) You're in the right place now!:cool:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi there, Marybeth! You found your way to a lovely place and get ready to learn more than you ever wanted to know about your condition. Don't worry about going into denial, many do exactly that, but you are now able to fact things. As some say, it just takes what it takes!

Tell us more about your current condition...FBG, meds, do you like what you weigh, etc. As you can see, we're a nosy group, but we're so glad you found us here.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First you should never blame yourself for getting diabetes. The medical profession likes to play the blame game. Before diabetes, I was a vegetarian who worked out 2-3 hours at the gym. I was normal weight and had no family history. So I did everything right and still got it. So sometimes it just happens. A great resource I found that explains everything my doctor forgot is

Blood Sugar 101

Read this before your endo appointment. Go into your appointment with a list of questions. Don't accept an attitude from him that blames you for your diabetes. Diabetes can be controlled but it takes a little work on your part. First use your meter a lot, when you wake up and before and 2 hours after meals. Once in awhile do a random bg to see how your bg does with fasting for 4-5 hours. Once you read BS 101 you will realise how carbs play a role in raising bg. When you are diabetic your pancreas is dysfunctional to some extent. You may still produce insulin but your cells don't always accept it and use it efficiently. Your pancreas may actually overproduce insulin. This is called Insulin Resistance. By using your meter after meals you see the action of carbs on your bgs. This way you can eliminate foods that spike you high.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think that one of the issues with T2 is that for the most part, one is asymptomatic. It is hard to get serious about about something when there are no aches and pains associated with it, especially in its early stages. It's not like I wake up feeling miserable ever.

What one does is educate oneself as to the long-term negatives to this disease (disorder). Waking up with my foot amputated would make me feel miserable.

Read,Test,Read,Test....that's become my mantra.

There is so much conflicting data out there, on about any ill, not just diabetes, that it is hard to know what to to do. Being here in this forum will be a help in finding your way.

OBTW....Welcome to Forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the welcome. :hug:

Jwags : I started reading that site (Bloodsugar101) yesterday. I will continue to add it to this site and read a bit every day. I also have been testing before and after eating.

Patdart : Will the words "way to plump" work for weight? :eek: No seriously I am 220lbs, 5'6", oh never mind!! You asked me " Do I like what I weigh?" I think I read things backwards sometimes. No I don't like what I weigh...at all. The only time I lost weight was when I went on the Atkins diet years ago.
Ok starting out last week I took my BS reading as I wasn't feeling great. It was 452. By the time I got into the Dr's and had my lab work done. The fasting test read HemoglobinA1C 11.3. The glucose read 275. My Triglycerides are 1000. Scared out of my mind. So as far as meds. I realize these may change after my visit with the Endo. Oh and I have also added Fish Oil with Omega 3's 1000mg/300mg x4 a day.
Metformin 1000mg 2 x a day
Simvastatin 20mg 1 x a day
Glipizide ER 5mg 1 x a day

I have been sticking to LCHF Diet the best I can. Trial and error on a few things. Like the lowfat cheese. This morning I didn't even think about Milk raising my BS and WOW! :eek: I think it spiked around 30-40 points. Anyway it has been 2 hours since breakfast and I just ran my BS and I am at 171. Every day I notice that it has been coming down slowly and more than the previous days reading.
Ok I think that covers everything.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I feared as much...and I do know way too plump! :) I have lost 50 lbs since I began to treat my BG and brought my A1C down to 5.4 as well as great lipid panel. I went on a modified Atkins diet after reading Dr. Bernstein's book "Diabetes Solution" and am still on it, but not losing anymore...my doctor actually told me it was time to quit losing!!! I found that if I ate carbs generally, I then craved more. When I eat about 30-40 a day, I never am tempted to eat them. (Well, not so much that I 'have' to have them.) The craving just goes away. The secret is to get enough fat while you do this...it makes you feel full.

By the way, low fat cheese, etc., is not the way to go...full fat is much better for you...a surprise to me.

Good luck,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts