The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. I was diagnosed in 1997 with Type 1. I wear a MM pump and use the CGM (when I remember to order sensors appropriately such that I don't run out of them, which is rarely).

I am married with 6 year old daughter. My husband and I are both pharmacists. He teaches and I work prn at 2 hospitals in the ATL/Athens area of GA.

I am rarely serious and like to find the humor in things, including having a busted pancreas.

I love cop shows, crosswords, ice cream, Coke Zero, and naps. I adore music and will listen to just about anything except crossover country pop, hardcore rap, whiny-boy alternative, and jangly jazz.

I believe in God, marriage, the Constitution, and not wearing white after Labor Day.

Here to learn from and play with others.:ranger:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think it is important to joke about the things in life in order to keep things in perspective.
How is your control?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is your control?
I hate that question. :ballchain: I'm used to lying about it lately (I work with a bunch of pharmacists and nurses and they are always asking), but I suppose that defeats my purposes for being here.

Very poor at the moment. Part of the reason I'm here. I did well the first few years, and during my pregnancy, my A1c was 5—the lowest it's ever been.

Now it's 8.7 which is SUCK. And I'm about 40 lbs overweight. Yikes that looks ugly when you type it out like that.:eek:

I'm here to find some inspiration and shared experiences. I am committed to doing better.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I hate that question. :ballchain: I'm used to lying about it lately (I work with a bunch of pharmacists and nurses and they are always asking), but I suppose that defeats my purposes for being here.

Very poor at the moment. Part of the reason I'm here. I did well the first few years, and during my pregnancy, my A1c was 5—the lowest it's ever been.

Now it's 8.7 which is SUCK. And I'm about 40 lbs overweight. Yikes that looks ugly when you type it out like that.:eek:

I'm here to find some inspiration and shared experiences. I am committed to doing better.

Thanks for the welcome.
Sometimes the best catalyst to getting yourself under control is to see those numbers on a page written out. You have admitted to it and no one here is going to judge you. We are here to help you. Hopefully you see this as a good place to come and we are behind you 100%.
WE WANT YOU TO CONTROL YOUR DIABETES AND NOT LET YOUR DIABETES CONTROL YOU!!!!
You are doing the right things by admitting the problem and now you can focus on fixing the problem. I know you have been a diabetic for awhile and I am relatively new but I do have a piece of advise if you are willing to hear it. We have to face each day on its own merits. Do not worry about your numbers from yesterday or the day before in terms of fighting the battle today. We have to wake up each morning in an attempt to fight this disease and BEAT IT!! We cannot treat today because of numbers from before. We test and move on. We cannot test and worry about the results. This does not mean that you don't think about what caused that bad/good number and repeat or fix it, just don't stress about it. Attitude is a big factor in getting this under control.
:clap2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome !!! I've only been associating with these fine folks here for a coupla weeks, and I seem to be drawn back here everyday. I add to my inspiration here, although being newly diagnosed with type 2 is pretty inspiring on it's own. I find information thats shared in terms that I can understand. I read a few different Diabetes forums, and this one is my favorite...hands down !! Stick around....look forward to learning from you, or inspiring you. Either one is great !! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Beetus, we're really glad to have you on board. Thank you for joining us. Most things in life are easier to bear if there are people who understand you & support you. That's what we're here for! So c'mon in & make yourself at home! :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm new here. I was diagnosed in 1997 with Type 1. I wear a MM pump and use the CGM (when I remember to order sensors appropriately such that I don't run out of them, which is rarely).

I am married with 6 year old daughter. My husband and I are both pharmacists. He teaches and I work prn at 2 hospitals in the ATL/Athens area of GA.

I am rarely serious and like to find the humor in things, including having a busted pancreas.

I love cop shows, crosswords, ice cream, Coke Zero, and naps. I adore music and will listen to just about anything except crossover country pop, hardcore rap, whiny-boy alternative, and jangly jazz.

I believe in God, marriage, the Constitution, and not wearing white after Labor Day.

Here to learn from and play with others.:ranger:
Hello and welcome to the forum! Tell us more about yourself and come on in and make yourself at home. I hope you can take the time to visit often and take care.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard Beet!

Glad to have you here

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Beetus, I know I wrote a message to you on another site, so I won't repeat myself here. I doubt that there two different people using the name "Beetus". :D

Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum! Tell us more about yourself ...
Ah, my two favorite things in one spot: words + me.

I was born in GA the daughter of a Methodist minister. We moved about every 3 to 4 years. Including college, I've moved 13 times in my life. We've been near ATL for going on 9 years, and that is the longest I've ever lived in one town or house.

I have two brothers and a sister (she is also type 1—misdiagnosed as type 2 for several years) and I am the baby in the family and even though I'm about to be 40 they still treat me like it sometimes.

I spent ten years in college and graduate school, racking up various worthless degrees (A.S. in Chem, B.S. in Bio, M.S. in Bio) and finally settled on pharmacy, which I love.:nerd:

I worked retail pharmacy for about 4 years until 9/11 happened. Then I decided life was too short to do something you hate every day, so, knowing very little about hospital pharmacy, I applied for a job at a hospital where one of my former pharmacy student employees was doing a residency. Somehow, I tricked them into hiring me, and I've been there going on 9 years. And that student is now supervisor over my department, which I think is freaking awesome.

As for the beetus, I was diagnosed my next-to-last year in Rx school, about 5 months after I'd gotten married. I lost about 30 lbs without trying, I was thirsty ALL the time, and I had recurrent infections. We were studying diabetes in depth and as my professor went down a list of symptoms, I realized I had experienced almost all of them. I made an appt. with the student health center to have my fasting glucose checked.

That morning, I went in and they did a fingerstick (not what I was expecting) and it was over 300. The nurse got all nervous and kind of acted like she wasn't real sure what to do about that. I'm sure they were used to dealing with the flu and birth control pill refills mostly, so I rocked their world a little.

The doctor seemed to have a little better handle on the situation and she started me on glyburide 5mg and said she'd see me in a week. I bought a glucometer and checked my sugar every morning. It never dropped below 300, and once, after I stupidly ate a bunch of corn chips (I didn't know better...no one told me what to eat or not eat)it went to 540 and it freaked me out. I titrated my dose up to 15mg by the end of that week but my fbg was still 300 or more.

So I went back to student health and this time the doctor was more aggressive. She admitted it was beyond her scope and referred me to an endo she knew at Med College of GA and got me an appt that same day.

The endo was a very nice woman who was very matter-of-fact about everything. She was confident, she put me at ease, and she explained everything and answered all my questions. Then she had a nutritionist come in and we talked about food. Within a month, she had me carb counting, and within 3 months of starting insulin, I converted to Humalog which was pretty new back then. In fact, one of my classmates had just done a new product review on it for the faculty.

My roommate was interning at K-Mart and I went there to have my insulin filled and it was so new they had to order it. I had never really grasped the whole insulin thing, even after studying it in class (half ass) so my roommate kind of went over it with me and then I went home and tore through all my textbooks to learn whatever I could.

I grew up in the 70s, and back then it was still kind of a social stigma to have it. When I was a kid, I only knew two diabetics and they were total opposites. My maternal aunt, who was diagnosed at 13 and had always been very careful of her diet and very compliant, and a family friend who had the floppety feet, was half blind, and still ate donuts for breakfast.

By the late 90s, when I was dx, it was no longer kept so hush hush and more and more people were being dx, plus I was in the middle of rx school so I was surrounded by healthcare people and it was just not a big deal.

It was more difficult to explain to people I'd known before the dx, esp. if I hadn't seen them in a while. Oh, by the way, I now have diabetes. It just seemed awkward.

I have a pretty good sense of humor about it all, but there are two things that really grate on my nerves. Ok, lets make that three:

1) When the movies and TV get it backwards and have characters act all sweaty and shaky (low symptoms) because they lost their insulin. I'm looking at you, Con Air.

2) When people say, "Oh, I could never give up sugar!" I highly doubt those same people would go up to someone with cancer and say, "Oh, I could never wear a wig!" Insensitive morons.

3) Jokes about shooting up like diabetics are some kind of IV drug junkies. Especially if accompanied by hand motions like smacking the arm to find a vein. Not only is this NOT. FUNNY., it is woefully inaccurate, and that drives me nuts. (See #1) First off, I don't inject insulin into my ARM. Second, it's a sub-q injection. Get a clue.

I know I need to yank a knot in my own chain, so that's why I'm here.

Thanks for the warm welcome.:tea:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Beetus, I know I wrote a message to you on another site, so I won't repeat myself here. I doubt that there two different people using the name "Beetus". :D

Richard

I had a feeling you'd pop up over here, too. Glad to see you. Enjoyed reading your history blogs yesterday. Made me want some pie. :hungry:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ah, my two favorite things in one spot: words + me.

I have a pretty good sense of humor about it all, but there are two things that really grate on my nerves. Ok, lets make that three:

1) When the movies and TV get it backwards and have characters act all sweaty and shaky (low symptoms) because they lost their insulin. I'm looking at you, Con Air.

2) When people say, "Oh, I could never give up sugar!" I highly doubt those same people would go up to someone with cancer and say, "Oh, I could never wear a wig!" Insensitive morons.

3) Jokes about shooting up like diabetics are some kind of IV drug junkies. Especially if accompanied by hand motions like smacking the arm to find a vein. Not only is this NOT. FUNNY., it is woefully inaccurate, and that drives me nuts. (See #1) First off, I don't inject insulin into my ARM. Second, it's a sub-q injection. Get a clue.

I know I need to yank a knot in my own chain, so that's why I'm here.

Thanks for the warm welcome.:tea:
**Waves welcome** It helps to have a sense of humor fofr sure :)

Another big irritant to me? The Oh-So-Well-Meaning Diabetic Food Police. (are you really sure you should be eating that one cookie?!?!?) Never mind that it was only one...and I covered it with insulin....Nothing grates on my nerves faster. As if they are imparting some huge bit of wisdom that I don't know about my diabetes that I have had most of my life *eyes rolling*

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another big irritant to me? The Oh-So-Well-Meaning Diabetic Food Police. (are you really sure you should be eating that one cookie?!?!?) Never mind that it was only one...and I covered it with insulin....Nothing grates on my nerves faster. As if they are imparting some huge bit of wisdom that I don't know about my diabetes that I have had most of my life *eyes rolling*
I hate that as well. I commented in another thread earlier that I can't stand for people to talk about the food I'm eating, especially as I'm eating it. I think that's rude, really. How about MYOB? :hand:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Maybe I present a terrifying enough presence that people are reluctant to tell me what I can/can't eat. :rolleyes: I know I look & sound like a grouchy old grizzly bear! When we're traveling & it's harder for me to resist temptation, I sometimes commission my better half and my beloved sister to warn me away from enticements . . . they wouldn't speak up otherwise, and they don't speak up much even when asked!
Ah well . . .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I present a terrifying enough presence that people are reluctant to tell me what I can/can't eat. :rolleyes: I know I look & sound like a grouchy old grizzly bear!
I like bears.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
After my kids grew into strong strapping men, they owned up that they were afraid of me when they were young. All I can say about that is, it never hurts for a child to have a little healthy respect (all right - fear!) for the parents! heheh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.