The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My name is Beckie and i've been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes controlled by Metformin. I am struggling to loose weight although I've changed my diet. I need help with recipies support on days I am down and certainly information on sweet stuff I can eat! I have a sweet tooth it's annoying! Lol

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Beckie. I think you've found the right place for all those needs . . . funniest thing - all the rest of us come here for exactly the same things! :D

It's good to have you with us - thank you for joining us.

Take care & visit often!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, Beckie!

I had to cut way, way down on carbs to lose, but when I really lost I had the momentum of DKA on my side ... I dropped 35 - 40 lb. Now I eat low carb, and use insulin (sparingly), and range by about 3 - 5 lb per MD visit. Most of it I carry in my "lower depot," ie not belly.

What to eat? protein and fat, and for sweetening I use Truvia, Splenda, erythritol, in various combinations. If you like baked goods, you will want to learn how to use almond flour, coconut flour, and flax meal. Some of the simplest recipes use flax meal -- you can make a microwave cracker or tortilla, with jsut flax meal and water. And there is bluffin muffin or muffin in a minute ... peruse the recipes forum, and then ask!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Becky. I have been very successful with weight loss and now am below my goal weight. I owe it all to Metformin and a very low carb diet. For breakfast I usually eat less than 3 carbs, lunch 10- 15 and about 10 carbs for dinner. Check out our recipe forum, we have fantastic cooks here who do like to eat. Even though I eat low carb I still make muffins, cookies, pancakes, and tons of other great food. Here are a few of my favorite websites for recipe ideas. Also check out Gluten Free websites. Since they don't use flour many of their recipes are low carb. Just swap out the sweetner for splenda, erythitiol, stevia,etc.

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets
Healthy Gluten Free Recipes | Elana's Pantry
Comfy Belly

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Beckie! That's just why we are here chatting and Shanny's right about that. Jwags is right on target too...that's how I lost 50 lbs and am keeping it off...took me about 6+ months, but as she is, I'm below my goal weight and trying to learn which carbs I can eat to keep my weight stable and keep my good numbers so I can avoid meds for this condition. Read all those sites she so kindly listed for lots of good ideas and have a peek at out own recipe section...some real goodies there too!

Ask any question you have and tell us more about yourself...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts