The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my name is elizabeth i am about to turn 18 and was diagnosed with type 1(i do the shots or whatever) about a year ago and i am a junior in high school. I am on practically a baby dose of insulin so the doctors arnt sure if i will always make a little bit of insulin or if i am just in a long honeymoon period. i am going to look at pumps in late april to try and get set up with one.

i dont participate in sports and rarely work out. Im about 5 foot 1 and a little less than a hundred pounds. i get really worried because i am in high school so i do party and i get nervous that it will all catch up to me later =/ or that something will happen. I drink on the weekends and smoke cigs occasionally. I'm good about doing my insulin and such but is it really a big problem what im doing or as long as my A1C is good and im taking my insulin and shit is it ok?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Drinking and diabetes is never a good mix. Your blood sugars can crash and no one would know if you were drunk or acting drunk because of low blood sugar. Anyway, since I am a Mom, I can't condone underage drinking in any case! :D Your A1C is your indicator over the long haul but that doesn't mean you couldn't have some crisis on occasion which you still need to watch out for. I know it is very difficult but you really need to take better care of yourself. Volunteer to be the designated driver!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahahaha yes yes yes i know that =]
hahaha i have never been the DD in all my life =p that would suck so bad hahaha i would rather just stay home instead of hanging out with my friends at all hahah but tis a nice "in a perfect world", "mom" answer.

i want to live life, make memories, not have to look back and think what if
every single one of my friends knows i have diabetes and what to do in an emergency
the main thing i worry about is longterm i have a lot of anxiety about having to get one of my limbs cut off or going blind or some shit like that =/

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well, if you want to live life and make memories, with some of the choices you make I sure hope you don't have to look back and say 'what if...' if your lifestyle has some dire consequences later on. And, yes, I am talking about not taking care of yourself and possible having some severe diabetic complications in the long run. Sorry, I just can't help being a Mom!. :rolleyes: I don't want you to be saying "What if I had taken better care of myself, would I be having these complications now?" I'm really not trying to start an argument. I'm concerned for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahaha no no i know your not starting an argument =]

thank you i will think about things =]
diabetes sucks i just want to do normal fun things =/ hahah oh well tis life

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for putting up with me, Elizabeth. Yes, I agree, life sometimes sucks. I send you a big hug. Get out there and conquer the world, girl!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks for putting up with me, Elizabeth. Yes, I agree, life sometimes sucks. I send you a big hug. Get out there and conquer the world, girl!

Yeah Liz, Get out there and live life!!! :D And enjoy your drink with food!! Good food. As the drink makes the BG fall, You can ballance it with the food. Welcome to DF. :D:D;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Liz, I never did any of that partying stuff. I was too shy to mix when I was growing up. I never drank or smoked and I never used drugs. I have been a diabetic for 63 years and I am very healthy with no complications except minor nerve damage. I hope you will also have a long, healthy life with your diabetes but what you are doing could end up causing you much trouble. Good luck!

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts