The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Friends,

My Aug A1c is 13.1 and current one is 6.5 . I wouldnt have reached this without your help .

I have couple of questions where i am doing small mistake .

Advice me below are good or bad inorder to traget 5+ for next visit .

1) is spegatti is good ?

2) Is Quonoa is better than rice ?

3) Corbohydrate 5.2 in which sugras 1.3g ::::: what does it mean ?
( Coup a soup creamy brocoli )

4) How many grams of carbo equallent to 1 gram Sugar ?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Many people find that spaghetti and other pastas are not favorable in their diets.

Quinoa is a wonderful substitute for rice, but you'll have to test your blood sugar after you eat it to see how it affects you.

Pay attention to the total carbohydrate in your foods. It all converts to glucose in your body, with the exception of fiber.

Jen

G

·
3) Corbohydrate 5.2 in which sugras 1.3g ::::: what does it mean ?
( Coup a soup creamy brocoli )
It means that there are 5.2 grams of carbohydrates in the soup and of those 5.2 grams...1.3 grams of that is (refined) sugar.

4) How many grams of carbo equallent to 1 gram Sugar ?
All carbohydrates are made up from sugars. 1 gram of sugar is 1 gram of carbohydrates. Refined sugar is a simple carbohydrate. I suggest you Google "Simple And Complex Carbohydrates" and learn the difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boiled and just little fried potato is good for diabates ?

and I wanted to know about sweet potato also ? Raw sweet potato is good ?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Boiled and just little fried potato is good for diabates ?

and I wanted to know about sweet potato also ? Raw sweet potato is good ?
Potato is very often NOT GOOD for diabetes, regardless of how it is prepared.

Sweet potato is still pretty high carb, and I've never eaten it raw, but I can tolerate a little of it baked, with butter/salt/pepper.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You need to learn to eat by what your meter tells you. That means testing before first bite and then one or two hours later (either from first bite or from last bite) to determine how what you ate affects your blood glucose levels.

This will give you guidance for determining whether you can eat this food, cut the portion, or eliminate it from your meal plan for the time being. After tight management levels have been reached, then you can experiment with adding back small servings of foods your have removed. Some foods may be off-limits permanently, while others in small quantities may be okay.

I am doing this about every two years - just to see what can be added back. I have been able to add a few back, but most of the list is still off limits.

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Friends,

Advice me below are good or bad inorder to traget 5+ for next visit .
Let me get this straight. You are targeting an HbA1c of 5?

That is difficult to do and furthermore is not entirely healthy especially when you have more years (though I believe it's not recommended even early on). 6.5 is really good and you should focus on keeping it there.

Remember to avoid going too low as it poses a greater threat than a slightly higher BG.

Keep above 5mmol/l (if you are used to mg/dl don't go below 90). Check before meals and plan acordingly.

As for keeping a good HbA1c remember that it's not just the BG that defines it but it's consistency. If your average is low enough but it keeps going up and down then the A1c will be higher.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think she said 5+, and while I agree that 5.0 may be a little severe, anything around 5.5 and up would be perfectly safe as long as you're not experiencing severe lows to get there. My doc would like to see me under 6.0 . . . which average is far enough from 140 that I can live with it and strive for it. My goal is to maintain all numbers under 140 (7.7) and prevent even the slightest damage to my organs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It also important that we all realize that what works for one person, may not work for another. Some people are able to maintain A1c's near or below 5.0, while some of us are doing good to have A1c's near or below 6.0.

I have been below 6.0, but lately I am fighting to stay below 6.5. I think it has a lot to do with the types of foods consumed and your own individual body chemistry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts