The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i am new to this forum that i will call it my second house. my name is Abdellah, i live in USA. My dad was diabetic. He passed away when i was 15 years old. My mom and bro are diabetic as well. About me lately i started to feel weird. My small finger of the left hand feels like it has no sense and when i sleep on my left side it would take 20 min or more then starts being numb. I didn't check with the doctor yet, but my wife is a nurse, i talked to her about what's going on with me.
just for precautions, i stopped completely drink or eat any food or drink has sugar period.
today, i had some noodles around 3pm. i walked after that for almost an hour doing some shopping. when i came back i desired so bad a banana, i had one :). i made black coffee without sugar, i had a cup of it. Now it 1:35 i started feel dizzy but i' good. a friend of mine tested my blood and says 157 mg. I looked online to define how good or bad is that. I didn't get enough answers for that.
I hope i didn't bother you my brothers and sisters, but i would love to know more about controlling my blood glucose.
Thank you so much and have a good evening.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Abdellah,

You need to visit a doctor to confirm what that level of blood glucose means. And you will also need to do a fasting blood glucose test (10-12 hour fasting). Have your dinner, sleep and then test in the morning before you eat anything

The doctor may also recommend a HbA1C test which will show your average blood glucose levels over the last 2-3 months. I am sure your wife who is a nurse can advice you. These tests are normally not that expensive and you can get the results immediately

What you did is a random blood sugar test. For a random glucose test normally (what I have read) anything over 200 is considered diabetes while 140 - 199 is considered pre diabetes. But you need more tests to confirm.

In anycase (whether diabetes or pre diabetes) I think it's time you made some lifestyle (exercise) and food related choices (low carb diet) to reduce you sugar levels. It will go a long way in helping you.

I will let others in the forum add more to this

Also Welcome to the Forum !

hi,
i am new to this forum that i will call it my second house. my name is Abdellah, i live in USA. My dad was diabetic. He passed away when i was 15 years old. My mom and bro are diabetic as well. About me lately i started to feel weird. My small finger of the left hand feels like it has no sense and when i sleep on my left side it would take 20 min or more then starts being numb. I didn't check with the doctor yet, but my wife is a nurse, i talked to her about what's going on with me.
just for precautions, i stopped completely drink or eat any food or drink has sugar period.
today, i had some noodles around 3pm. i walked after that for almost an hour doing some shopping. when i came back i desired so bad a banana, i had one :). i made black coffee without sugar, i had a cup of it. Now it 1:35 i started feel dizzy but i' good. a friend of mine tested my blood and says 157 mg. I looked online to define how good or bad is that. I didn't get enough answers for that.
I hope i didn't bother you my brothers and sisters, but i would love to know more about controlling my blood glucose.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
hi,
Abdellah,

Tony in his post said it all. Whilst a value of 157 is high, you didn't mention how long you waited after your banana (which is very high carb and relatively slow acting), so you may have seen its impact in your test rather than anything more sinister.

As a first step, try checking your fasting figure for a few days - before you do anything else in the morning. If you keep getting values over 120, then it might well be worth asking your doctor (as Tony suggests) to do some more serious tests.

Again, as Tony said, regardless of the outcome, it's well worth having a hard look at your diet. You've stopped using sugar. That's good, now look at the other things you eat - especially snacks - for "hidden" sugars especially the man made sugar substitutes like high fructose corn syrup. They are (in my opinion) worse than simple old fashioned sugar.

Ask on the forum for information on any food you are curious about, someone will have come across it and have a view. Another place you can look for advice is Blood Sugar 101 That site has lots of helpful hints on handling your blood glucose.

Good luck, John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since you have a family history the best thing is to go to the doctor and get an official test. Most people think diabetics only need to avoid sugar, but the reality is all carbs no matter the source will raise our bgs. You may want to pick up a Relion bg meter from Walmart and test 2 hours after carby meals. A normal non Diabetic will be definitely under 120, usually close to 100. Their fasting bgs are usually 70-95 or so. So if you are higher than that that may indicate a problem. The foods I now have to avoid is any product made with Flour or other grains, especially bread, crackers and cookies. I also have to avoid cereal, even oatmeal, corn, potatoes, pasta and rice. I even have to limit fruit to a small serving of berries about once a week or so. The good thing is diabetes can be managed to avoid complications. Check out Blood Sugar 101 for great information on diabetes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts