The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All from SA,

I was diagnosed with daibetes 2 last week. it came as a shock as my family always had heart problems. I am determined to reverse it. I have read Jonathan Legg and a few others who managed to do so. if there is anyone one out there who have tried, please let me know. I am glad to be part of this Forum. Thankyou so much.

I am learning a lot from the net, but there is nothing to beat personal experience. I would love to hear from you.

warm wishes
tish

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Tish. It's good to see you're ready to work hard to control your diabetes. Most of us have done exactly that and can help you out in your quest to do it yourself. As long as we agree that "reversing" is control, and not cure. Jonathan Legg's own doctor says he must maintain forever the changes he's made - he can never return to his old lifestyle & eating habits, or his diabetes will come roaring back - he is not cured, but he's doing a great job of controlling his diabetes.

Ask all the questions you want - there are many wise & experienced folk here who have handled whatever diabetes throws at them.

Take care & visit us often!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I'm not sure if Diabetes can be cured or reversed but it definitely can be managed with different oral medications, inusulin, exercise and a lower carb diet. Many of us can keep our bgs in a near normal range by managing our bgs. This requires lots of BG testing especially in the beginning. Test when you first wake up and before and 2 hours after meals. Record everything plus what you ate. Ideally bgs for fasting should be under 100 and close to that before meals. I like to keep my after meal bgs 110-120 or under but some go as high as 120-140. If you find bgs too high, talk to your doctor about medication.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Tish! I have no idea who that is, but hope he can help you. I read Richard Bernstein, Atkins, and Eades in the beginning and have had fantastic results with them. My PCP doesn't really have a good grasp on diabetes, but I do, thank God! He thinks since I lost weight, I've got it handled. One day I may take his time to educate him, or maybe not....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi from SA

Hello and welcome, Tish. It's good to see you're ready to work hard to control your diabetes. Most of us have done exactly that and can help you out in your quest to do it yourself. As long as we agree that "reversing" is control, and not cure. Jonathan Legg's own doctor says he must maintain forever the changes he's made - he can never return to his old lifestyle & eating habits, or his diabetes will come roaring back - he is not cured, but he's doing a great job of controlling his diabetes.

Ask all the questions you want - there are many wise & experienced folk here who have handled whatever diabetes throws at them.

Take care & visit us often!

Hi Shanny

Thanks so much for your response. it makes such a difference to talk to people who knows first hand. Oops, I was maybe way too optimistic, thinking like most other illnesses it can be 'fixed' and it will go away.I did not realise its a lifelong illness, once you have it under control. Psychologically its hit me very hard. I suffer from daily dizziness and Im on Glucophage and a cholestral pill. I have to also take an Amloc pill to control the hypertention. does the two go hand in hand or can one have one without the other? If I take the HB & BS pills together, then I feel sick all day. I have to seperate them in intervals. I have only done this for a week and it drives me crazy. I was never on medication except for short periods when I had pneumonia returning from a cold NY ens. So the body is taking strain with new medication. I guess I would have to adjust and accept kinda. I thought J Legg had beaten it for good. How are you doing now?

cheers for now
tish

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, Tish, and welcome!

You will learn a ton here!

I have quite a few FB friends from your part of the world, it seems like such an interesting place -- and pretty nice, too.

Not much to add to what others have to say, but eating and exercise trump drugs, every time. Docs will never tell you the effects of diet and exercise are stronger than those of any medication they can give you, but it is true.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi from SA

Welcome to DF. I'm not sure if Diabetes can be cured or reversed but it definitely can be managed with different oral medications, inusulin, exercise and a lower carb diet. Many of us can keep our bgs in a near normal range by managing our bgs. This requires lots of BG testing especially in the beginning. Test when you first wake up and before and 2 hours after meals. Record everything plus what you ate. Ideally bgs for fasting should be under 100 and close to that before meals. I like to keep my after meal bgs 110-120 or under but some go as high as 120-140. If you find bgs too high, talk to your doctor about medication.
Hi Jwags,

thankyou for your response and information. good to hear from people in the same boat. I experience daily dizziness and seem to be losing hair. Im not sure if this is part of the problem. I am taking Glucophage for the BS and Amloc for hypertention as well as a cholestorol pill. I really thought it could be reversed and that would be it. it hit me quite hard psychologically and especially now that I am told its a lifelong illness. I still have to buy a test machine.
I am glad for the support of the Forum. how are you doing now?

cheers for now
tish

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi from SA

Hi, Tish, and welcome!

You will learn a ton here!

I have quite a few FB friends from your part of the world, it seems like such an interesting place -- and pretty nice, too.

Not much to add to what others have to say, but eating and exercise trump drugs, every time. Docs will never tell you the effects of diet and exercise are stronger than those of any medication they can give you, but it is true.
Hi Foxl

good to hear you like this part of the world. it certainly is beautiful. i was born here and never seize to appreciate its beauty. I travelled the States extensively and loved NY. visited a few times.
I absolutely agree that doctors wont admit to excercise and natural meds or eating is good enough. But I believe in it. My doctor is not so bad though, he does say that excercise fixes everything. But the med make me sick and I loathe to take it. Its been a week and I feel foreign to my own body. but I guess its adjustment and acceptance first. Thankyou for your response.

cheers for now
tish

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
patdart

Hi, Tish! I have no idea who that is, but hope he can help you. I read Richard Bernstein, Atkins, and Eades in the beginning and have had fantastic results with them. My PCP doesn't really have a good grasp on diabetes, but I do, thank God! He thinks since I lost weight, I've got it handled. One day I may take his time to educate him, or maybe not....
Hi Patdart,

Haha. maybe you should. thankyou for your response. I hope Im not writing to myself. I see my responses are are showing up under my first intoduction. I would like to know if my dizziness is part of the problem. I like to follow Patrick Holford and want to buy his book this week. not so clued up on it yet. but I am aiming at least at getting it down from 16. Im on Glucophage and amloc. it sometimes makes me ill. I have to adjust I guess.
How are you now?

cheers for now
tish

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
patdart

im still hoping im responding to the correct 'post'
that is excellent. 5.4. would you say its is now normal and you could indulge in a bit of sweets etc or are we always ready to rocket to extreme high levels.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
5.4. would you say its is now normal and you could indulge in a bit of sweets etc or are we always ready to rocket to extreme high levels.
Sadly, it is the latter - there is no quick fix it is a lifelong condition. Worth grieving for it at the start so you can get on with the business of living. Occasional treats/slips though are not worth beating yourself up over. It is a way of eating rather than a diet is how I think these days...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shanny

Hi Shanny

Thanks so much for your response. it makes such a difference to talk to people who knows first hand. Oops, I was maybe way too optimistic, thinking like most other illnesses it can be 'fixed' and it will go away.I did not realise its a lifelong illness, once you have it under control. Psychologically its hit me very hard. I suffer from daily dizziness and Im on Glucophage and a cholestral pill. I have to also take an Amloc pill to control the hypertention. does the two go hand in hand or can one have one without the other? If I take the HB & BS pills together, then I feel sick all day. I have to seperate them in intervals. I have only done this for a week and it drives me crazy. I was never on medication except for short periods when I had pneumonia returning from a cold NY ens. So the body is taking strain with new medication. I guess I would have to adjust and accept kinda. I thought J Legg had beaten it for good. How are you doing now?

cheers for now
tish
hi shanny,

i am such a novice at this, i may be making a few mistakes. I seem to be answering the respondents in my own posts.
thanks t

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1970clea

Sadly, it is the latter - there is no quick fix it is a lifelong condition. Worth grieving for it at the start so you can get on with the business of living. Occasional treats/slips though are not worth beating yourself up over. It is a way of eating rather than a diet is how I think these days...:rolleyes:
hi. thanks. i am a bit depressed about it and being so new. is hair loss associated ? and does it grow back if so? I have always had a lot of hair, but noticed that its thinning. i tested 5.7 today which I am pleased about. and now got a machine too. its also the tiredness or fatigue I need to get under control, if. I thought it was fixable. thanks for the support. appreciated. t

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Since my bgl have come under control I have stopped having hair loss, am no longer exhausted and skin is no longer getting spots that last for months. Honestly, I feel like a new woman. :D It took about five months to get to a place where I felt like me again and the shocker was that I had felt 'off' for such a long time I didn't realize it wasn't normal! There is a lot to reward you for your efforts, energy being one of the most useful!

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since my bgl have come under control I have stopped having hair loss, am no longer exhausted and skin is no longer getting spots that last for months. Honestly, I feel like a new woman. :D It took about five months to get to a place where I felt like me again and the shocker was that I had felt 'off' for such a long time I didn't realize it wasn't normal! There is a lot to reward you for your efforts, energy being one of the most useful!

thanks again. I seem to fluctuate very very quickly. I tested about 10 days ago and it was 7.9 before being given a glass of glucose to drink. after 2 hours i tested 16.8 at the lab. today i tested 5.7. is this normal? I have cut back on carbs & sugars, but 5.7 is down fast from 16. So its very confusing for me. Oh it was 5.7 after I had soup and boiled eggs. It was not after a fasting, which would have brought it down more. so its terribly confusing. Compared to your 5months. did you also fluctuate or was it always high in the 5months?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
is hair loss associated ? and does it grow back if so? I have always had a lot of hair, but noticed that its thinning.
Sudden hair loss has been a big issue for me. I've spoken to 4 docs and 2 hairdressers, had almost everything tested (thyroid, B12, etc), and everyone has a different opinion.

What I've learned is: nobody knows. In my case, I had a quadruple threat: diabetes, menopause, stress, stress and a 5th thing, oh yeah, stress. The dermatologist directed me to Rogaine for Women, which I've done half-heartedly.

I feel more inclined, if this is permanent, to hold my head up high and be the sassiest bald woman I'm capable of being.

Good luck to us both!

Reactions: Shanny and d33na

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sudden hair loss has been a big issue for me. I've spoken to 4 docs and 2 hairdressers, had almost everything tested (thyroid, B12, etc), and everyone has a different opinion.

What I've learned is: nobody knows. In my case, I had a quadruple threat: diabetes, menopause, stress, stress and a 5th thing, oh yeah, stress. The dermatologist directed me to Rogaine for Women, which I've done half-heartedly.

I feel more inclined, if this is permanent, to hold my head up high and be the sassiest bald woman I'm capable of being.

Good luck to us both!
Hi thanks.

hair loss is a big issue for me too. Im just wondering if it corrects itself as we manage the diabetes. or if it just keeps spiralling until there is little or nothing left. I also had my thyroid tested as well as kidneys, liver, heart. all came back positive. 6months ago I went through the most traumatic period with my youngest son who had to undergo 3 operations in less than 2 weeks due to a botched appendix op. it was
so stressful for the family. it was shortly afterwards that i became sick which eventually led to this.
Enjoy being sassy :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Well, the one thing all those professionals I consulted agree on, is that stress is the biggest factor in hair loss. Hopefully, with your son okay now, and blood sugar control, your hair will regrow in time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts