The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone,
Been dealing with type 2 for quite a few years.
Manage to keep my numbers pretty low(ish)
A1C 6.4 - 7.0 (last test)
Daily glucose 145-185..

Numbers starting to creep up so decided to truly get into living with this.
Daily meds Janumet 1000/50
Dr added 1000 Metformin to the list last week.
Was on Actos for about 3 years.

Developed bladder cancer at 49 years old.
I was lucky, two tumors removed and a few follow up surgeries.
Still clear 3 years later.
Just love them going in for a look :)

Try to stay healthy, mostly LCHF diet, workout 3 times a week.

SO, hi :)

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

We're glad you joined the forum, and I know you will be glad you did, also. This is a great bunch of folks to hang out with because we are a determined bunch to get and keep our blood glucose (BG) low and stable.

There is a great site we like to direct new members to for accurate information about diabetes Blood Sugar 101 There is a section there called "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar" which is a testing protocol that can help a diabetic gain good control.

You'll find that most of the folks here eat some version of LCHF, so you'll be in familiar territory. You may find reading other members' intro threads to be helpful and encouraging, and full of good advice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi Chief, from Pensacola.

I would wager my next paycheck that disciplined LCHF will work to get your BG numbers down....

(Go Gators!)

Reactions: MaJoie

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
magnetchief Welcome aboard....

On your introduction you show your A1c to be A1C 6.4 - 7.0 (last test) ... I never seen an A1c presented in a 'range' vs one number. 6.4 would be pretty good, 7.0 not so much.

Just a reminder that the increase in your metformin is a good thing provided you can tolerate it. I too take 2000mg of metformin, half when I eat breakfast and half before bed. It will take a few weeks for this added dosage to show any results....seems to be it starts helping in about 3 weeks....

Have you read Blood Sugar 101?

Keep in touch and best of continued good health!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
magnetchief Welcome aboard....

On your introduction you show your A1c to be A1C 6.4 - 7.0 (last test) ... I never seen an A1c presented in a 'range' vs one number. 6.4 would be pretty good, 7.0 not so much.

Just a reminder that the increase in your metformin is a good thing provided you can tolerate it. I too take 2000mg of metformin, half when I eat breakfast and half before bed. It will take a few weeks for this added dosage to show any results....seems to be it starts helping in about 3 weeks....

Have you read Blood Sugar 101?

Keep in touch and best of continued good health!
A1C range is over the past year. Maybe 4 visits to the Dr.
Working on 101 :)
Thanks for the welcome..

Go NOles...

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Hi magnetchief, welcome to the forum. With some guidance, I bet you can be saying A1c range has been 5.4 to 6.0 in the future.

Interesting that your doctor put you on 1000 mg metformin. Is that your daily dose of the met, because that Janumet 1000/50 is 1000 metformin and 50 Januvia. How are you taking it? 2550 mg is maximum recommended dose of regular metformin and 2000 is maximum recommended dose of extended release metformin.

I ask because Janumet is usually prescribed twice a day.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi magnetchief, welcome to the forum. With some guidance, I bet you can be saying A1c range has been 5.4 to 6.0 in the future.

Interesting that your doctor put you on 1000 mg metformin. Is that your daily dose of the met, because that Janumet 1000/50 is 1000 metformin and 50 Januvia. How are you taking it? 2550 mg is maximum recommended dose of regular metformin and 2000 is maximum recommended dose of extended release metformin.

I ask because Janumet is usually prescribed twice a day.
Well spotted,
I happen to have 2 months supply left of the Janumet dose I am presently taking.
My Dr added an extra dose of metformin to take in combination with my existing Janumet.

Once I have used up my supply I will be changing to 2 pill a day janumet..

Sounds confusing, but it's all in hand.

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Have you read much about diabetes medicines, risks vs benefits?

From the Bloodsugar101 website, there is a section a general overview of diabetic drugs, and then a more detailed section on the class of drugs., this is the one about Januvia/Janumet family.

You may have already done the research.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for scaring the crap out of me.
Hoping to eventually get off Janumet and manage it with just metformin and diet/exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Not trying to scare, just that we all need to be aware of what the drugs we take can do to us. Maybe it can happen, maybe it won't. Know the risk and then make educated decisions.

I used to be on Januvia too, until I read about it. No bad effects that I was aware of, but not much benefit either. I just quit and asked my doctor for the Metformin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Chief, from Pensacola.

I would wager my next paycheck that disciplined LCHF will work to get your BG numbers down....

(Go Gators!)
Funny, How bigs your paycheck?

Spent the past week really cutting down on carbs, dropping them from my menu most days.
PLus a better discipline with my metformin meds ect.
This mornings level was 120 .. can't recall the last time it was that low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to thank you guys. With a reduced carb intake and gym 3 mornings a week my morning glucose number is now down below 110 and I have lost about 5 lbs.
Great advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well something works. Today's number was 95. Don't ever recall it being below 100.
Question is, is this the medication or he change in diet plus regular gym.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will discuss this with my Dr next month. I really would like to as its expensive and has possible bad side effects. Had the whole bladder cancer / Actos issue a few years ago so am a little wary of taking a medication with possible cancer risks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I was put on Januvia by my doctor along with metformin and long acting insulin. I started having frequent upper respiratory infections. They would come on one day and within 24hrs. they were full blown deep chest bronchitis. Each time the only way I could get over them was to take heavy dosages of antibiotics. I finally started looking at all my meds and possible side effects.

Januvia had a side affect of 'upper respiratory infections! The next day after seeing this, I stopped taking it. That was over 6 years ago, and since then I have had on 2 cases of bronchitis.

And after all of that my blood sugar did NOT change, the Januvia was making me sick and did nothing to help my blood sugar levels.

I found LCHF early last year and since then have had world class A1c's and generally improved health, not to mention losing 50lbs so far! I only take metformin and a nightly injection of 25u of Lantus Insulin. LCHF eating has given me full control of my diabetes. And that my friend is a powerful feeling to have...!

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I will discuss this with my Dr next month. I really would like to as its expensive and has possible bad side effects. Had the whole bladder cancer / Actos issue a few years ago so am a little wary of taking a medication with possible cancer risks.
My point of view is - I am the one who ultimately decides what I put into my body. I research and weigh the options and make the final decision. (It's not the doctor who has to live with dangerous side effects.) But this is just my personality - not Type A, be definitely in charge of my health.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts