The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Have had type 2 for 2.5 years now. I have a way of living/eating all my life and old habits die hard but is it really that bad. After a day's work (which is not a normal day) I sit down to eat dinner around 9:30 PM with a glass or 2 of red wine. I retire then about 2 hours after that. Now I know that’s not really healthy but I've been doing it that way since I lived at home with mom & dad. My morning BSL is usually 160 to 180, and sometimes higher like 240 if I have a "bad boy" dinner night like pizza or pasta. I take my Metformin in the morning & befor bed. Normally I do eat healthy and exercise regularly and my BSL is usually in the range of 120 to 140. My Dr. said for me my BSL is ok below 150 (hummm).

Question is, If I change my way and start having a dinner at a "normal time" may that lower my BSL by any significance? Due to my work it would be a strain to do that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You'll have to check for yourself because we are all different. I suffer from DP - high bloodsugar in the morning. For me eating dinner early definately helps to lower my morning BSL. Also if I eat a very light low carb dinner it helps and so does a glass or two dry red wine. In my opinion a glass or two of dry red wine has definite health benefits. My grandmother always said one must eat like a king in the morning, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pheasant... I can see the value of this approach especially when low carbing.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi!

Have had type 2 for 2.5 years now. I have a way of living/eating all my life and old habits die hard but is it really that bad. After a day's work (which is not a normal day) I sit down to eat dinner around 9:30 PM with a glass or 2 of red wine. I retire then about 2 hours after that. Now I know that’s not really healthy but I've been doing it that way since I lived at home with mom & dad. My morning BSL is usually 160 to 180, and sometimes higher like 240 if I have a "bad boy" dinner night like pizza or pasta. I take my Metformin in the morning & befor bed. Normally I do eat healthy and exercise regularly and my BSL is usually in the range of 120 to 140. My Dr. said for me my BSL is ok below 150 (hummm).

Question is, If I change my way and start having a dinner at a "normal time" may that lower my BSL by any significance? Due to my work it would be a strain to do that.
Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of folk here who will be happy to offer you the benefits of their experiences with this d,,,,m condition.

However, without knowing a lot more about your general condition, I can't say that changing your evening meal time will or won't make a difference.
It probably would since it would mean your body would have a longer active period to burn off some of the glucose - but that would depend on what you ate and how you spent the extra time - couch potato or athlete?
You eat "healthy"? Who defined healthy? (My doctor's definition of healthy diet and mine are seriously different).
Speaking personally, a fasting blood sugar of in excess of 120 would not leave me happy and even my "high carb" doctor gave me a range of 80 to 120 as a target.
Why not post a slightly fuller introduction of yourself, that way some of the other members of the forum can offer their views.
John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Everyone is different when it comes to food. You need to test 2 hours after every meal to see what food tends to spike you. Ideally you want to be 120-140 or less. I choose less and aim for 100-110 after meals. No one knows exactly where diabetic damage begins so I want to play it safe and stay as close to normal as possilble. What I can tell you is having bgs above 140 may mean diabetic complications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.