The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce my self. I have had type 1 diabetes for 31 years and I am on novorid and lantus. I have suffered from depression with diabetes but over that now. I am also on the cgm system. Happy to chat to all. Looking forward to seeing how this forum works. Best to all

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just wanted to introduce my self. I have had type 1 diabetes for 31 years and I am on novorid and lantus. I have suffered from depression with diabetes but over that now. I am also on the cgm system. Happy to chat to all. Looking forward to seeing how this forum works. Best to all
Good to meet you, Yianni, welcome to our little corner of cyberspace! It's always nice when veterans of the diabetes wars join us - they know most of the tricks of the trade! ;) Good to know that you've overcome the depression too - that's a major improvement all by itself!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shanny said:
Good to meet you, Yianni, welcome to our little corner of cyberspace! It's always nice when veterans of the diabetes wars join us - they know most of the tricks of the trade! ;) Good to know that you've overcome the depression too - that's a major improvement all by itself!
Nice to meet you Shanny, yes overcoming depressions was tough but it was also very eye opening! I went through a cbt structure and also looked in to mindful meditation which works very well with diabetics. I have had diabetes since I was 2 so I do know every trick of the trade but always keen to learn more! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, what is "CBT"?

Hi there! Glad to meet you. What is cbt structure? So good to learn new things. I suffer at times with a low grade depression, so I am curious.

Keep talking, we're learning!
I'm an ultra-rapid cycling bipolar II, so I would definitely like to hear more about CBT. Lamictal is working very well for me but I'm always trying to build more safety rails to keep myself on the road. Welcome!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Yainni, welcome! I have been type 1 since 1945, when I was 6. I am convinced that 90% of what I know about diabetes comes from Google search and communicating with fellow diabetics on the diabetes websites, like this one.

I see you are doing well now, and have a good attitude. That makes such a big difference! We diabetics can have long, healthy lives if we take good care of ourselves.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all, sorry for my late response as I have been very busy. ( trying to set up a new business). CBT, in high level, is cognitive behavioural therapy, which in short is why we think the way we do which has an effect on our physical, behavioural, emotional and thought, thus cbt is a structured approach in understanding how and why we think the way we do and it turn helps to re-programme our brain to think differently! I.e. Someone with depression could be walking along the high street and see a friend talking on the phone, they try to get their attention to initiate a welcome dialog but they get ignored..... Depressed person would naturally think that the person on the phone did not want to talk them which in turn has an effect on their physical ( could be anxiety or heart palpitations) their behaviour ( head down, isolation, alienation etc), emotional ( sad, worried etc) and thought ( I am not liked etc) - which works like a downward spiral stare case. CBT would challenge that thought and think in an alternative way, for example, the person on the phone could be very busy, they could be receiving important news and they marly didn't see me etc. I think you are getting the picture.... CBT Is not easy but once you go through set activities, it allows the person suffering from depression to place things into perspective and thus change their outlook upon life... For CBT to be successful for diabetics it has to be coupled with mindful meditation.... Have a look at it on YouTube. Happy to chat more about this if anyone is interested in finding out more info :) have a great day all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts