The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I was diagnosed with type one diabetes last Sunday night in hospital, I had been very sick. Im out now since Thursday eavning and to say its been a bit of a struggle is a understatement! Im ok with taking my insulin but my ditet!! I really dont know what food to buy, how to cook it and how much I should be eating. Im so hungry but im scared to eat too much or too little... Getting this illness has really been such a shock to me as im only 28 and now I have to change my old life for a hole new one, this is looking to be very hard and stressful for me to a point im depressed over it :(

Iv started trying to do some research on the net and joined this forum to see if I can get any good advice and help on what my diet should concist of?

I really hope someone can give me help as i really do need it at the moment, im sure after a few months il start getting the hang of it, right now do, im lost. I dont know what too do :(

Thank you so much for reading and any little bit of help will go a very long way for me.

Regards,
Stephen.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hello and welcome!
I`m also type 1, and I got it 1 year ago age 45.
In the beginning I ate just as the nutrition experts recommanded, but that didn`t work at all, and my BG seemed like it was a rollercoast. First I cut out everything with sugar in,bread, rise, potato and pasta. That helped a little, and then I started to live like most people in here do;
I live LCHF. It is the carbohydrates that makes the BG rise, and instead of eating stuff loaded with carbohydrates, I increase the fat. This makes my BG stady, it tastes good, I am not hungry and there is usually a weightloss livving like this.
Check out Blood Sugar 101 it will help you with a lot of your questions.
You will also find lots of tips what to eat in the diet section here.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to learn the DAFNE program. That stands for dose adjustment for normal eating. Learn to count carbs and how to dose for them. Then the diet thing is easy. It is a see food diet. If you see it and it looks good you can eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads.

Im def going to do a lot of reserch on this! It is for the rest of my life after all and I dont want to have any bad complications from it.

It has me worried like.... so I just hope I can start picking up on all the advice I recive and work hard at doing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shanny i wouldnt wish it on anyone!! I was so so sick... but as you said I live to tell about it and thats all that matters now. Im going to do everything I can to never put myself through that again. I will do it, its just after the last week and im only out of hospital since Thursday im still lost kinda on howm my diet should be. Its so much to deal with for me at the moment.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Until you get things sorted out, Optimist gave you the best advice so far. It may not be the advice your diabetes educator will give you, but it works for most of us. Richard is an 'old hand' at the tricks of the trade and perhaps can offer you some guidance.

What drugs are you on now? How much and how often will help all of us advise you. How's your weight? Are you lean or do you want to lose some. All of these questions will help us help you understand what you need.

Fear not asking a question. In my opinion the only 'dumb' question is the one not asked.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K im on humulin insulin one shot in the am after I wake up and another at about 7 pm just before my evening tea. My weight at the moment is just about 10stone 10pounds (That down from 14 and a half stone in two months!!) so I feel I need to put of a bit for sure. lmao whats the dumb question??

Il be back in a bi gotta go take my insulin and all dat other jazz!

Thanks again lads ye are great, im loving the help :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was diagnosed at the begining of the year, i'm 35 and when i was in hospital they just filled my head with to much info, my levels are good eat normally, i havent really change my diet at all, just a couple of things like every morning i eat rolled oats, which helps with the cholestoral side of things, one thing thats helped me from another diabetic at work is the carbs on the food labels if it says carbs 30 suger 25 thats not real good, more sugar to complex carbs you take the sugar from the carbs that will give you sugar 25 complex carbs 5, if the
Label reads just say carbs 40 and sugar 10 thats good because the ratio will give you complex carbs 30 and sugar 10, and exercice if your sugars are high exercise that will drop your sugars down as well i do weights twice a week, one more thing have a peice of toast before you go to bed, hope that helps

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Smmjde. Can you give us a little more specific information? How were you diagnosed & what tests were administered to make the diagnosis? What were your results on those tests?

How often do you test your blood sugar, and what are your current readings - your postprandial levels - fasting levels?

Besides rolled oats & toast, what foods do you eat to maintain good levels of blood sugar?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the few tips Smmjde. Il definitely take every bit of help i get on board.
Id also like to know what type of other foods you eat during then day to keep your suger levels at a good number. Mine are all over the place at the moment, nothing bad just up and down but i suppose that will all come good in time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends really on what insulin your on, im on nova rapid 3 times a day and long lasting lantus once a day, like i said i still eat the same as i did before still have sugar in my coffee, but the sugar i use is a low gi, i do allot of walking at work so i tend to use up my sugar in my system, so i snack on apples 3 times a day have a soup or lunch, like the other day i was out with the family i had an icecream on a waffle cone, an hour and a half later, i had dinner meat pie and an ice coffee had my normal insulan dose got home checked my levels and they were high i scored a 23 so i took my normal lantus dose, went out to the shed did a weight session that droped it to 19. Went to bed, then woke up the next day checked the levels, it was then 12 had my rapid nova had breaky then latter it was a 9.5 i was happy with that in the end, aim for between 5 and 10 your levels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh you eating sounds ok to me Smmjde, im afraid to eat anything with sugar in it haha if im having tea I just use some sort of sweeter, never sugar. My blood sugar levels are all over the show at te moment well at least it looks that way to me but what do I know... my last test was before my brakfast just after I woke up and it was 10.8 thats low i know but its normly around 17 to tops 24. Iv been told do the more I get out walking and that it will start to level out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i just want to ask to see if im eating ok, im really not sure so im just going to run through what i had yesterday.

Breakfast: Two slices of toast and a bowl of sultana bran cereal (low butter spread on the toast)

Dinner: A cod fillet with some mash potatoes, sugar free peas and gravy.

Evening meal: Toasted sandwiches with ham & cheese.

Thats basically what my 3 meals were yesterday, I had snacks in between. Things like a banana, apple and some yogurt.

I really aint been planning my diet!! Iv just been having food that i think is low in sugar (trying to stay away from all sugar really) I def need some pointers heh becuse its driving me insane not knowing how to get a proper planned dite going :( :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I Know ya it is high and has been since I got out of hospital on Thursday. Im going to join a gym now tomorrow so do you think that will help a lot ya?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I dont eat bread or any thing made of grain, rice, pasta or potatoe.
All of that stuff is loaded with carbohydrates which in our body will be transfroned to glukose/sugar. The same with fruit. It has lots of carbohydrates, especially banaba and grapes.
I dont use any low-fat-products at all. I always use full-fat-ptoducts like real butter, real cheese, real cream, etc.

For breakfast I eat egg & bacon and some vegetables or an omelet with bacon or ham and some vegetables or maybe leftovers from yesterdays dinner.
I dont have toast with it.

For lunch I maybe have a salad with fat and meat/fish or we have lowcarbo-vaffels
For dinner I eat meat or fish, different types of vegetables (no potatoe, rice or pasta) and sauce made of real cream.

For snacks or small meals I maybe choose to have a few berries and a few nuts, or I maybe have a lowcrab cracker with butter and cheese, or I have 2-3 chickenwings and some vegetables.

The idea of eating like this is that you will avoid carbohydrates.
When eating vegetables to each meal your body will get a lot of good stuff and the carbohydrates you are eating should come mainly from vegetables. I myself eat about 40-50 carbohydrates each day, but you have to find which level you prefere. My houseband and my sons are not diabetic but have chosen to eat 80-100 carbohydrates each day. One of my sons are an active long-distance-runner, and he does really fine on this diet. Actually he has made several new personal records this season.
You should definitive eat real fat for each meal. If you dont eat carbohydrates your body will use fat for energy. The fat is not dangerous. Many of us living LCHF has discovered that our bad cholesterol has really improved on this diet and most of us now have great cholesterol.
The muscles need protein, and you will find this in fish or meat. Our body needs between 1 and 2 gram protein for each kilo bodymass depending how fysical active you are. For me it is enough with 1 gram protein for each kilo bodymass since i`m not an active person.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If i want to start counting my carbs how do i do that?

Iv read a few things on the net about people who started carb counting and there all very happy with it and seem to look at it
as a great thing, can anyone give me some info on it?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
OK, I`m not sure how it is in Ireland, I live in Norway.
When I started I started very easy since I was afraid it would be complicated to learn all at once.
I eliminated all products with sugar, grain, rice and potato.
On the labels here in Noway I can see how much carbohydrates there is in the food, and if it has more than 5 carbohydrates for each 100 gram I do not buy it.
I eat lots of vegetables, only one fruit each day and always together with nuts, I tested my BG very often and logged it to learn how things work for me.
After doing this a couple of month my Ac1 went from 12,6 to 6,5. I wanted to learn more and googled LCHF and started to learn more and more (but still have lot more to learn).
There are different programs where you can write what you eat, and then you get listed up how much carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals there is in it. Here in Norway I like to use Gratis online dagbok for diett, slanking og kosthold, hopefully someone can give you a link to an english neutrition-side.

And dont be scared; its really easy to live like this when you`ve done it for a while, and there are plenty of really good food even we have diabetes.
My youngest son (age 21 year) often tells his friend how lucky he is with a mother with diabetes, because he now gets so really good food:)

Reactions: Stephen
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.