The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am rohini, age 24, weight 105kg height 168cm.

last week i went for a general check up and my blood sugar in fasting was 132. i was shocked and collapsed. i never expected this so early in age. i have a son. i am feeling so bad about it. my doctor didnt give me medicins, he wanted me to be in diet. is it possible for me to get it lower if i reduce weight. i am feeling so bad about it. i need some comfort.. please help.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello and :welcome: Rohini,

Control of blood glucose is the name of the game we all need to play. A fasting figure of 132 is well over what we need to see if we are to avoid long term problems.

I suggest you start your learning process here - Blood Sugar 101 and in particular these two areas - You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes. The REAL Causes. and How to Lower Your Blood Sugar .

When I was diagnosed two years ago, I too was overweight by about 13kg. I lost that weight in about six months by following the suggestions in How to Lower Your Blood Sugar. That single, simple step will hopefully make a similiar difference to you although I do think that you may need some medication in the short term at least to get your numbers under control.

Today, it all looks black - but there is quite definitely light at the end of the tunnel and with sensible management, your diabetes will be a monkey rather than an elephant on your back. And we can keep it in its cage!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rohini said:
Hi,
I am rohini, age 24, weight 105kg height 168cm.

last week i went for a general check up and my blood sugar in fasting was 132. i was shocked and collapsed. i never expected this so early in age. i have a son. i am feeling so bad about it. my doctor didnt give me medicins, he wanted me to be in diet. is it possible for me to get it lower if i reduce weight. i am feeling so bad about it. i need some comfort.. please help.
Hi dear rohini helo n welcome
Firstly don't afraid from diabetes and then as mr Jonn said read those care fully and also implement them on your life it will really helps you secondly sorry am also new and start medications one year ago and I have a small baby boy 2 years old...
So just be calm and concentrate on your target
Hope for your best n good luck
Hammi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi dear rohini helo n welcome
Firstly don't afraid from diabetes and then as mr Jonn said read those care fully and also implement them on your life it will really helps you secondly sorry am also new and start medications one year ago and I have a small baby boy 2 years old...
So just be calm and concentrate on your target
Hope for your best n good luck
Hammi

Thanks Hammi......that was a big relief. :) my only concern was about my 2 yr old son. i often think as what if i get sick and what will happen to my sons future....now i can understand a bit. and i realized that i have to make the best out. Hearty thanks to you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and :welcome: Rohini,

Control of blood glucose is the name of the game we all need to play. A fasting figure of 132 is well over what we need to see if we are to avoid long term problems.

When I was diagnosed two years ago, I too was overweight by about 13kg. I lost that weight in about six months by following the suggestions in How to Lower Your Blood Sugar. That single, simple step will hopefully make a similiar difference to you although I do think that you may need some medication in the short term at least to get your numbers under control.

Today, it all looks black - but there is quite definitely light at the end of the tunnel and with sensible management, your diabetes will be a monkey rather than an elephant on your back. And we can keep it in its cage!
Thanks john,
your post cleared my mind. now i am able to understand and handle it. all i had was tons and tons of panic . i couldn't digest that i am a diabetic at age 24. now i have learnt that i have to take life as it is and do my best to get best. Thanks a lot for your ideas and refference . that was so supportive. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to every one for your post. that have made me feel better and comfortable. thanks to all. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Since you're so young, it would be good to know for sure if you're type 1 or LADA, and testing for GAD antibodies is the only way to know that. In my opinion, every patient who comes through the door with diabetic symptoms should be tested for these, but most docs don't do it. Make sure yours does.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Shanny said:
Since you're so young, it would be good to know for sure if you're type 1 or LADA, and testing for GAD antibodies is the only way to know that. In my opinion, every patient who comes through the door with diabetic symptoms should be tested for these, but most docs don't do it. Make sure yours does.
I would add a c-peptide test to the GAD test. The c-peptide will show how much insulin your body is making on its own. It may aid in deciding medications.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Rohini,

First thing. Your fasting number is not that bad. I would believe you have a very mild case (mild damage) of diabetes but if you dont take this seriously your condition will become worse

I was at 250 and many others here were well in their 300s when diagnosed and are now successfully managing without meds (or with very little meds)

Loosing weight really helps but you will find that when you focuss on reducing blood sugars your weight improves.

Tell us more about your blood sugars, other health conditions and most importantly diet and medication

Reactions: Rohini

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rohini,

First thing. Your fasting number is not that bad. I would believe you have a very mild case (mild damage) of diabetes but if you dont take this seriously your condition will become worse

I was at 250 and many others here were well in their 300s when diagnosed and are now successfully managing without meds (or with very little meds)

Loosing weight really helps but you will find that when you focuss on reducing blood sugars your weight improves.

Tell us more about your blood sugars, other health conditions and most importantly diet and medication
Thanks tony,
your reply was so nice to know. i had the fear that i am highly dibetic and would die soon ...(i know it sounds crazy.......i had that feel as my mom passed away in heart attack last month and she had diabetes ).

My doc said that as i am just 24 diet restrictions and exercise will do well. no medication needed. now i have lost few pounds and have a lot to go. But my Psychatrist said that i am under high stress due to my moms loss and after a month my BS will get down.

now am hoping for the best and working on my diet and exercise.
After reading ur reply i am bit relived that am in a controlable stage. Thanks a lot tony :hug:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Rohini,

Sorry for your mom's loss. Being a diabetic raises your chances of cardiovascular diseases but I believe if you keep your blood sugars at non diabetic levels at all times, the risk would be minimal. Stress does have an impact on blood sugars so try to keep tensions off your mind. I know it's easier said than done but for your health try...

How have your numbers been now that you are watching your diet and also started to loose a few kgs ?

What kind of a diet and exercise program are you following ?

Tony

Thanks tony,
your reply was so nice to know. i had the fear that i am highly dibetic and would die soon ...(i know it sounds crazy.......i had that feel as my mom passed away in heart attack last month and she had diabetes ).

My doc said that as i am just 24 diet restrictions and exercise will do well. no medication needed. now i have lost few pounds and have a lot to go. But my Psychatrist said that i am under high stress due to my moms loss and after a month my BS will get down.

now am hoping for the best and working on my diet and exercise.
After reading ur reply i am bit relived that am in a controlable stage. Thanks a lot tony :hug:

Reactions: Rohini

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rohini,

Sorry for your mom's loss. Being a diabetic raises your chances of cardiovascular diseases but I believe if you keep your blood sugars at non diabetic levels at all times, the risk would be minimal. Stress does have an impact on blood sugars so try to keep tensions off your mind. I know it's easier said than done but for your health try...

How have your numbers been now that you are watching your diet and also started to loose a few kgs ?

What kind of a diet and exercise program are you following ?

Tony

hi tony,
i exercise regularly.
i walk in tread mil for 45 mins in morning and evening. also i have cut down sweets, cakes, fast foods carbs rich , fatty and non veg. ( except low fat fish and egg whites. ) i take a lot of fresh salads (no dressing) and veggies. Also stopped fried and roasted. only baked foods. no canned or packed foods. in this way i have lost around 8 pounds, and have a long way to go.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
also i have cut down sweets, cakes, fast foods carbs rich , fatty and non veg. ( except low fat fish and egg whites. ) i take a lot of fresh salads (no dressing) and veggies. Also stopped fried and roasted. only baked foods. no canned or packed foods.
Most of us here follow the diet known as LCHF (Low carb / High Fat). there is no need to discard the yolk from the eggs. It's the most nutritious part. Neither do you have to stop fried (unless you are using hydrogenated vegetable oils) or non-veg food. This will help enormously in bringing down your BG and cholesterol.

Cut out the starches & the sugars, meaning the grains & sugars including fruit. At least for the time being.

Do take a look at the recipe/diet sections.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most of us here follow the diet known as LCHF (Low carb / High Fat). there is no need to discard the yolk from the eggs. It's the most nutritious part. Neither do you have to stop fried (unless you are using hydrogenated vegetable oils) or non-veg food. This will help enormously in bringing down your BG and cholesterol.

Cut out the starches & the sugars, meaning the grains & sugars including fruit. At least for the time being.

Do take a look at the recipe/diet sections.
Thanks SKB,
That was so helpful. but i cant keep myself away from fruits. Pomos and oranges are my fav. sure, i'll try to put a big zip to my mouth

1 - 20 of 26 Posts