The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dan, I'm retired Navy and I was diagnosed with type II in January. Actually I should have been informed that my fasting glucose was abnormal about 20 years ago but no clinical notation exists in any copies of my Navy medical records. When I checked the lab results over my 20 years my average fasting glucose was between 120 and 150. I'm currently going through the Veteran's Administration to get my case heard for disability.

When the doctor at the Naval hospital told me I had type II, well I guess the reaction is rather normal. I think it quickly progressed from the "oh beep" scared stage to the "Oh hell no this BS." stage. I know a few guys at work who are on insulin or look woefully out of shape and the fear of looking like they do made me do a quick 180 about everything I was doing.

I must say the Naval Hospital here has been beyond helpful and the physical rigors of my job over the past six months shot me from a weight of 200 lbs down to 164 currently. I realize the diabetes can also be a contributing factor, sometimes not a good one.

My wife is a food and computer nazi. I no longer eat candy, junk foods. I eat smaller portions, more fruits. I drink water like a camel, abandoned sugars for Stevia and so far my numbers have been rather good. She booted me off my computer, bought me a pair of good sneekers and sends me off while she hides the power cord and mouse.

I won't preech but I have returned to my faith and I find it a big part of maintaining my outlook and my approach to life with this annoying enemy.

However, I do find that my waking numbers average between 110 and 130, is this ok for a start and what could I be doing wrong?

My normal evening meals exists of small portions of meat, veggie and starch (potato, rice) with exercise (30 minute walk or 30 minute martial exercise) 30 minutes after.

For snacks during the day I eat a box of raisins in 3rds spaced an hour apart with water. which keeps my BG between 80 and 120.

Between work and all this physical activity, I worry about my feet. Even with powders and fresh socks every day they still have a tendency to dry and crack. 20 plus years of huffing around Navy ships doesn't do well for pediatrism. Any tips?

G

·
My wife is a food and computer nazi. I no longer eat candy, junk foods. I eat smaller portions, more fruits.
Hello Dan, and welcome to the board.

This is good. She can, and will control your diet. Watch out for some fruits, they are just about all sugar.

I drink water like a camel, abandoned sugars for Stevia and so far my numbers have been rather good. She booted me off my computer, bought me a pair of good sneekers and sends me off while she hides the power cord and mouse.
I drink all of the water that I can. It's a good thing that she cares enough, and wants to keep you around.

However, I do find that my waking numbers average between 110 and 130, is this ok for a start and what could I be doing wrong?
For a start it's fine, my endo wants my fasting numbers to be 100.

Watch your diet, cut out starches, and carbs, like the potato's, and rice, they are full of sugar. Learn to read labels when shopping, and eat low carb.

My normal evening meals exists of small portions of meat, veggie and starch (potato, rice) with exercise (30 minute walk or 30 minute martial exercise) 30 minutes after.
The exercise is good, watch the starch.

Just listen to your doctor, you can live a long, and healthy life with diabetes.

Keep up the good work, you are off to a fine start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts