The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Wish all of you a ver wonderfull new year.

I am came accross this lively forum while browsing and thought to use and contribute to this interactive group.

Briefly about myself. I was diagnosed with Diabetes mellitus 2 years back with a high sugar count of 330 (PP) and 643(random). There was no medical history of diabetes in my family.

Although this diagnosis and the immeidate hospitalisation was a bit of a surprise:(, I have since then accepted it and following medication. While the diabetes is under control now, there are occassional ups and downs.

I am not sure whether I am type 1 or 2. It could not be diagnosed as I was put on insulin immeidately. I continue to be treated with insulin- Novomix 30, and Glimisave. Balanced diet has helped significantly in controlling the sugar levels.

Will love to share knowledge from this community on ways and means of diabetes management

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi All

Wish all of you a ver wonderfull new year.

I am came accross this lively forum while browsing and thought to use and contribute to this interactive group.

Briefly about myself. I was diagnosed with Diabetes mellitus 2 years back with a high sugar count of 330 (PP) and 643(random). There was no medical history of diabetes in my family.

Although this diagnosis and the immeidate hospitalisation was a bit of a surprise:(, I have since then accepted it and following medication. While the diabetes is under control now, there are occassional ups and downs.

I am not sure whether I am type 1 or 2. It could not be diagnosed as I was put on insulin immeidately. I continue to be treated with insulin- Novomix 30, and Glimisave. Balanced diet has helped significantly in controlling the sugar levels.

Will love to share knowledge from this community on ways and means of diabetes management
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Come on in and sit down and get comfortable! There are many tests that can be run to clarify if you are type 1 or 2 in the USA, I am not sure what type of tests that they run in India. Did you know that India is the world capital of diabetes with approx. 30% of the population has diabetes? China is in second place with 20% affected and the USA is 3rd with 17% affected. I am looking forward to getting to know you and how you manage your diabetes. Please stay with us and visit often and take care and hurry back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for the invite.

Yes I am aware of the dubious distinction of India :eek:.

Will love to know the meathods used in USA for identifying the type of Diabetes.

I was told by my consultant that the type cannot be diagnosed once insulin has been started. Going by the symptoms

1. No family history.
2. Excessive weightloss

It is suspected that, it is Type 1. However, post medication, the insulin doses have been minimal at 20 units a day. I do take sweets rarely and there is no immediate raise in sugar level. Hence not sure about the type.

Have you tried out any alternate medicines ?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you for joining us, Deepanjanb. Blood tests can be done, regardless of insulin use, to determine if you are type 1 or 2, or somewhere in between.

Type 1 patients carry antibodies in their blood because their beta cells are destroyed by their own autoimmune system. Type 2 patients do not normally have antibodies, because their disorder is one of insulin resistance more than of insulin deficiency. If you can get your doctor to test for Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase (GAD) antibodies, it would be one way to determine your type . . .

Take care and do visit often. Tell us more about yourself.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the invite.

Yes I am aware of the dubious distinction of India :eek:.

Will love to know the meathods used in USA for identifying the type of Diabetes.

I was told by my consultant that the type cannot be diagnosed once insulin has been started. Going by the symptoms

1. No family history.
2. Excessive weightloss

It is suspected that, it is Type 1. However, post medication, the insulin doses have been minimal at 20 units a day. I do take sweets rarely and there is no immediate raise in sugar level. Hence not sure about the type.

Have you tried out any alternate medicines ?
Would you mind sharing your age. T1 are TYPICALLY younger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GAD antibody was done during the initial hospitalisation.

I dont have the count now, but remember the endocrinologist commenting that it was abnormaly high

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You were asking if any alternative medications work. None that I have tried. How about you? I know that in India that there is a lot of alternative medications used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, here in India there are several alternate treatments. To name a few

1. Yoga ( no medicines)
2. Ayurveda
3. Naturopathy
4. Homeopathy
5. Some weird treatments like cow's urine:D:confused:, tree roots:D

While the media claims cure from these, yet to come accross any one who can personally confirm a cure. Also none of these media reports give any statistics as to the long term results of these 'medications'

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
All the evidence you have given suggests type 1, so insulin is the appropriate treatment. Are you using two types of insulin? One should be slow acting, lasting 24 hours. The other should be fast acting, taken before each meal and snack. In the US that is called basal/bolus treatment. I use carb counting and I need 1 unit of insulin for every 7 carbs I eat. That is called carb counting and I am using a 1:7 insulin:carb ratio. You might need a 1:20 ratio, or something very different from mine. That has been the best thing for giving me good control.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am doing very well. Good luck to you in the months ahead.

Richard

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi

A warm welcome. I was told in my diabetes classes that you are a type 1 if you have diabetes when you are young. Everytime I visit here I learn new things.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A warm welcome. I was told in my diabetes classes that you are a type 1 if you have diabetes when you are young. Everytime I visit here I learn new things.
Isn't that the truth?! So do I! :D

Blood tests are much more definitive factors than age. A lotta people think anyone who takes insulin is type 1, and that isn't true either!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There are thousands of very young children who are very much overweight and have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Just go to McDonalds and watch for them.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. There is lots of good info here and tons of experience. If you tested positive on the GAD antibody test you are probably a type 1. As others have said Insulin is the only treatment available. If you were a type 2, no antibodies present there are different oral drugs that you can do along with diet and exercise. I know differnt countries may have different definitions and protocols.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Isn't that the truth?! So do I! :D

Blood tests are much more definitive factors than age. A lotta people think anyone who takes insulin is type 1, and that isn't true either!
I had an ENT who put down on his records that I was T1 diabetes. When I told him that I was T2, he said "you are dependant on insulin so that makes you just like a T1. I told him that wasn't true and never mentioned it again. Thank goodness that I only needed to see him for a short time period. He must have feel asleep in class one of the days that they talked about diabetes. :)

G

·
@ breeze - yeah I've had the same too. Total lack of understanding about diabetes in general I find in a lot of cases. I have to explain stuff all the time.
In particular, a lot of people don't seem to understand that with type 2 you usually start out on diet and exercise and possibly some oral medication, then you have to take that oral medication (and you get trialled on all sorts), then they discover after so long that your pancreas doesn't do a good job on its own and needs help with the insulin. I still get asked if I'm type 1 all the time. I've got a question mark over my scenario at the moment and I'm going to ask endo next I see him whether it's possible pancreas produces more insulin every now and then... interrupting what insulin I've put in? It can be unpredictable at times (as I've noticed lately).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts