The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Hello, Ive Just been Told Im type 2, 4 days ago, they want to start me on insulin this friday,, Im very worried, HBA1c is 14, been on Metformin 4 days 500mg,
Im so glad to have found this site,Hopefully I can obtain some infomation, and support. it all feels a bit mad at the moment.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Hello, Ive Just been Told Im type 2, 4 days ago, they want to start me on insulin this friday,, Im very worried, HBA1c is 14, been on Metformin 4 days 500mg,
Im so glad to have found this site,Hopefully I can obtain some infomation, and support. it all feels a bit mad at the moment.
It definitely feels crazy in the beginning, Dura, but it gets better! I noticed your post on the other thread saying you see yourself in the other posts . . . that's one of the best things about our gang - there's bound to be someone here we can identify with, and prob'ly several!

I expect your docs want to get your BG down in a hurry, which why both insulin & metformin. You can hurry it along even more by restricting the more carby foods from your menus - it's amazing how fast those numbers drop when we stop eating bread & potatoes, rice & pasta! :cool:

Welcome aboad - I hope we can help you weather the storm & reduce your worries. Ask all the questions you have - we're here to help.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello Dura,

This time last year I felt much the same as you do today. "me - diabetic? It can't be me!" - but it was and is.

Not funny, but diabetes can be managed. With the help of my wife and this forum my HbA1c is now down at 5% and I'm off medication completely for now.

A good site to explore is Blood Sugar 101. Jenny Ruhl is diabetic and her site explains a lot of issues in sensible layman's terms without getting so oversimplified that it becomes useless. It's well worth a browse for an hour or two.

On the forum don't hesitate to ask questions - we all need information and we've all been through (and are still going through) the learning curve of what works for us.

We're all different so some foods you can handle will throw me and vice versa but the basic rule of the game is cut back on carbohydrate in all forms, keep the exercise going and keep a positive mindset.

Welcome to the club. John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much

It definitely feels crazy in the beginning, Dura, but it gets better! I noticed your post on the other thread saying you see yourself in the other posts . . . that's one of the best things about our gang - there's bound to be someone here we can identify with, and prob'ly several!

I expect your docs want to get your BG down in a hurry, which why both insulin & metformin. You can hurry it along even more by restricting the more carby foods from your menus - it's amazing how fast those numbers drop when we stop eating bread & potatoes, rice & pasta! :cool:

Welcome aboad - I hope we can help you weather the storm & reduce your worries. Ask all the questions you have - we're here to help.
Thanks Shanny, Ive been on a low GI diet, for 2 weeks now, but having read some info from Blood sugar 101 Im such more knowledgeable on the low carb side, which gives me hope.
Its really good to have people to tell about how things are going, and not to feel alone, thanks again

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hey just wondering about the odd glass or three of red wine and effect on bcls, its certainly seems to help me cope at the moment
From my own experience and my wife's research it does seem that modest quantities of RED wine do no harm and actually help. So much so that my diet now includes a compulsory (single :() glass of red wine every night. Stay away from white wine particularly sweet wine (to state the obvious).
John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am on metformin and drink a glass or two of red wine most nights. Usually the warning is because your bg could go too low. My bg rarely goes below 100. If you are using fast acting insulin and drink alcohol just be aware of your bgs. I belong to several diabetic forums and have seen people with very high HbA1c's that are able to bring them down fairly quickly with Insulin, low carb diet and exercise. When I was dx'd 4 years ago I freaked out but started to try to educate myself about what I was dealing with. Now 4.5 years later I have an almost normal bg and HbA1c. It takes work, but it can be done.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
my bottle of glipizide says No alcohol. :(
as does my metformin.

Haven't had a drop of wine or beer or mixed drink :Cry:
Valid point - I tend to forget things like that as I've been lucky enough to get out from under medication. :boink: Slap on wrist duly accepted!

To be fair I did say "modest amounts" - but yes, too much alcohol and you could end up hypo - which can be a serious issue.

And I did hint - but didn't spell it out - alcohol isn't a substitute for sensible diet and medication - it's a poison in its own right!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am on metformin and drink a glass or two of red wine most nights. Usually the warning is because your bg could go too low. My bg rarely goes below 100. If you are using fast acting insulin and drink alcohol just be aware of your bgs. I belong to several diabetic forums and have seen people with very high HbA1c's that are able to bring them down fairly quickly with Insulin, low carb diet and exercise. When I was dx'd 4 years ago I freaked out but started to try to educate myself about what I was dealing with. Now 4.5 years later I have an almost normal bg and HbA1c. It takes work, but it can be done.
Thanks for your feedback, I have a lot of learning to do, I dont have a problem with alcohol (luckily) so can reduce to a minimum, I dont know what insulin Im going to be on, the Dr Im seeing seems to be following some sort of chek list on his computer, Its all so fast, only been one week from start to now

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dura. I'm rather new around here as well, but have been diabetic for years now. I have tried many different meds (including insulin) in he past, and still have high BG's. I've learned a lot of great information on the diabetic forums and the Blood Sugar 101 website. The information and knowledge I've gained from these sites has helped me to make better choices for myself and has also armed me with great information to present and question my doctors about. I am going to begin a combination of basal/bolus insulin tomorrow, and am hoping for great success with it. I am not a drinker, but I may just begin adding a 4 oz. glass of red wine with dinner to add even more arsenal against this horrible diabetes! Maybe that will help me release some stress that really builds up as well.
Take our hand and we can go into this new world with better health and better control of our blood sugars. Everyone here is exceptionally knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't work. My A1C last year was 14.8 so I know how you feel and I'm still trying to get a grip on all of it.
Good luck and keep posting with your ups and downs. We will be here to give encouragement and support.
Hugs---Naynay

Reactions: Dura
1 - 14 of 14 Posts