The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was diagnosed in 2003 and with a class in carbs have been controlled for the most part with A1C between 6 and 7 by taking Metformin regular then Metformin ER 1500 mg a day. My type 2 diabetes came after years long battle with Pancreatitis. I am 67 years old. I retired back in August of 2013. My most recent A1C to my horror was 7.6. I was surprised because i have joined a gym and go at least 4 days a week and thought that was a good thing to help control my glucose. I have upped by Metformin ER to 1875 mg in the last few days on my own to try and bring down my fasting numbers which consistently now run in the 140s and 150s. This is way too high. So far no luck.

The Metformin just seems to have stopped working for the most part and am not sure what to do. My eating habits have not changed - I had a desk job so didn't think that made as much difference as it apparently has made. I am at a loss as to what to do?

I have found that those with Diabetes know more sometimes than the docs. From others is where I learned about Metformin ER which is easier on the system. I look now to others for advice on what I need to do. I had tried other medications in the beginning like Glyburide which I did not tolerate well at all.

Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
What's your diet like? You could go up to 2,000 on metformin, which is the max. dose for ER. However, because metformin doesn't seem to be doing its job, I have to believe you may be eating excess carbs. Metformin works best with a low carb, high fat diet. How many carbs per day do you eat, on average?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's your diet like? You could go up to 2,000 on metformin, which is the max. dose for ER. However, because metformin doesn't seem to be doing its job, I have to believe you may be eating excess carbs. Metformin works best with a low carb, high fat diet. How many carbs per day do you eat, on average?
I try to stay very low carb - haven't really calculated the carbs per day. I know I cannot eat the carb count that was given years ago as a baseline which is 60 per meal and 15 per snack. I am vegetarian for the last 4 years. I am constantly reading labels before I buy anything from the grocery store for carbs and protein. I guess I am very confused because my diet has obviously worked for years now. I cheat now and again like anyone but not this much.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Well, if you'd like to post a sample of what you eat on a typical day, we can help with where things might be going wrong. If we see what you're eating, (just a typical example), we will be better able to help identify why the metformin has changed its course. So, what's usually on the menu?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Mary - I will have to make a carb chart...but being vegetarian I don't get a lot of fat in my diet so it's sure not high fat. I get plenty of protein because the fake meat is made from soy/beans etc. I am going to up my metformin to 2000 too and see what happens.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, SeattleAD. Being vegetarian doesn't automatically exclude eating fats. There's no getting around the fact that carbs raise blood sugar and fats don't. Exercise isn't particularly useful in maintaining low and stable blood sugars, but cutting your carbs intake IS. Some of us here can't exercise due to other issues, but we still control our blood sugar very strictly.

If I were you, in addition to increasing your metformin, I would increase fats intake with safe natural plant-based fats like coconut oil, nut/seeds of all kinds, and things like avocados, olives, etc. I would start studying carbs intake for any egregious offenders like grains. Corn/wheat/rice/oats are all going to spike you to the moon. I suspect that your diabetes has progressed over the years, and that doesn't need to happen if you will make the adjustments to tighten your control. Getting your A1c under 6 is a good goal.

Do you test frequently at home, or are you just going by the tests the doctor performs? You need to have a meter and be testing at home after meals - this will help you determine which foods are having the worst effect on your blood sugar. How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and welcome, SeattleAD. Being vegetarian doesn't automatically exclude eating fats. There's no getting around the fact that carbs raise blood sugar and fats don't. Exercise isn't particularly useful in maintaining low and stable blood sugars, but cutting your carbs intake IS. Some of us here can't exercise due to other issues, but we still control our blood sugar very strictly.

If I were you, in addition to increasing your metformin, I would increase fats intake with safe natural plant-based fats like coconut oil, nut/seeds of all kinds, and things like avocados, olives, etc. I would start studying carbs intake for any egregious offenders like grains. Corn/wheat/rice/oats are all going to spike you to the moon. I suspect that your diabetes has progressed over the years, and that doesn't need to happen if you will make the adjustments to tighten your control. Getting your A1c under 6 is a good goal.

Do you test frequently at home, or are you just going by the tests the doctor performs? You need to have a meter and be testing at home after meals - this will help you determine which foods are having the worst effect on your blood sugar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have a meter at home. Prior to this I had been doing quite well just reading labels and testing now and again plus the A1C.

I have been testing quite frequently since that higher than I wanted A1C so have seen that indeed the metformin is not working as well as it did. I will have to make some serious changes to my diet now. Ugh.

Thank you for your feedback. I have never managed under 6 but my previous A1C before this last one was 6.4 that's why I was so shocked when the last one was 7.6.

I just don't feel well when my glucose is higher than it's supposed to be. I can really feel it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sounds like more that likely you have more carbs/protein than your body can now handle. You can def add more fats even with being vegetarian.
Let us know a sample menu and we'll see if w can help.
If there are no tweaks that can be made to diet, then insulin may be necessary too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum! Let us know what you're eating and we might be able to help spot the hidden carbs!
Thanks, I think what has happened is that this previous diet which was low carb is not low enough for my now retired activity level even though I do go to the gym several times a week. I just need to lower it further PLUS I need to add more fat to my diet since I am vegetarian. I learned a lot yesterday by reading this forum. I have now made a chart and will be tracking what I eat and how it affects me/glucose #s.

·
Registered
640 Posts
On another forum I frequent, at least one vegetarian stated that she discovered that her carb count was very high when she was eating vegetarian. I know that when I go out to eat at vegetarian friends, usually the only thing I can eat is a salad; many of the vegetarian choices contain too many carbs because of the grains.

Protein metabolizes into glucose, which is another problem. Do you eat a lot of quinoa? I have a real problem with that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like more that likely you have more carbs/protein than your body can now handle. You can def add more fats even with being vegetarian.
Let us know a sample menu and we'll see if w can help.
If there are no tweaks that can be made to diet, then insulin may be necessary too.
I am going to tweak both the oral Metformin ER and the diet. In all the years I have had diabetes, I have had it under control and will get there again. I will add more fat and subtract some carbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On another forum I frequent, at least one vegetarian stated that she discovered that her carb count was very high when she was eating vegetarian. I know that when I go out to eat at vegetarian friends, usually the only thing I can eat is a salad; many of the vegetarian choices contain too many carbs because of the grains.

Protein metabolizes into glucose, which is another problem. Do you eat a lot of quinoa? I have a real problem with that.
Yes, I have noticed that if I don't watch "what" vegetarian things I eat it is high carb. I cannot eat much rice and don't eat quinoa. It's really tough actually managing both diets.

I went to a vegetarian fest one time and of course there was taste testing - by the time I left that veg fest, my glucose levels were sky high and I didn't even have to test to figure that out.

My doctor at my last visit (3/3/14) wanted me to make sure I was getting at least 50 grams of protein a day. I kept a chart for a few days and I do. I like to eat beans for the protein. Maybe that is why I have gotten high glucose numbers. I found a vegan recipe I really liked of various beans/mushrooms and have made that several times in that last few months.

I have enjoyed quite a nice level of A1Cs for the last few years and now I have to figure out how to level it out again. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I have now made a chart and will be tracking what I eat and how it affects me/glucose #s.
That's going to give you more pertinent information than anything else. Hope you find a way to make vegetarianism and LCHF work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's going to give you more pertinent information than anything else. Hope you find a way to make vegetarianism and LCHF work.
It has been working for over 4 years. I just retired last August and that has obviously changed some things even though I had a desk job. I'll work it out. I don't want my A1C over 7. Thanks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Aaron? I can't eat any beans except green string beans and black soybeans, and must exercise tight portion control with the soybeans. You could watch for and search out the threads and posts from foxl . . . she is vegetarian for many years and eats LCHF. I know she can't tolerate beans either, and that may be where you're running aground too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aaron? I can't eat any beans except green string beans and black soybeans, and must exercise tight portion control with the soybeans. You could watch for and search out the threads and posts from foxl . . . she is vegetarian for many years and eats LCHF. I know she can't tolerate beans either, and that may be where you're running aground too.
I will check out those posts. I do have to watch portion control on some beans too - this recipe was lentils, barley and I added some black eyed peas (Dried) plus mushrooms, spices and vegetarian broth. It was only 1/4 cup each with mushrooms. I also like the vegetarian version of "pork" and beans but that certainly requires attention to portion control.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After being on the 2000mg ER for a bit I seem to have again leveled off and should be back within my goal of between 6-7 for my next A1C.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts