The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am petal
I am 53 yrs old and have had type 2 for 18 months now over the last few weeks my test levels have been anything between 15 - 23.
I take 1 competact pioglitazone 15mg (as hydrochloride) and 850mg hydrochloride twice a day with food.
I have had a 3 month blood test which has come back with a average of 18 also protein in a water sample.
I am due to see my GP later this week but thought I would ask if anyone else had had this problem?

Also if I was advised to go on to lnslin would l have to pay for as l dont at the moment for tablets, but the GP doesn't want to allow testing strips. I live in the uk.

Any information any one has would be most welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Petal: :)

Yes, unfortunately, most Diabetics have been in your situation, usually at diagnosis and some who stopped looking after their diet, sugar testing and exercise years later. Or if they were actually a Type 1 or Type 1.5 instead of a Type 2. There are tests that they can do to make sure. Many have been misdiagnosed.

Is it possible for you to ask your GP to refer you to an Endocrinologist? They are the Doctors who specifically look after Patients with Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, the endocrine gland system.

You live in the U.K.? Hi! :D As far as I know, all your Diabetic drugs are free. Ask your Dr. to make sure. It would be better for you to go on the Fast-acting(Bolus) Humalog or Novalog. Apidra is newer so I'm not sure if they would pay for it. Fast-acting Insulin is used before you eat a meal or snack to counteract the carbohydrates in the food which turns into glucose in your body. The Long-acting(Basal) Insulin is Lantus and Levemir. It is the back ground Insulin that keeps your sugars stable if you don't eat on time or if you wake up a bit later than normal(if you are taking the correct amount for you).

Oh I could shake Dr's who are cheap prescribing test strips. They are Very important in knowing at least some of the time, how your sugar levels are doing. It shows trends to see what foods, beverages, exercise, stress, hormones, etc. and how much of each affects you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.