Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hi everyone , i have been absent without leave

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mbuster 
#1 ·
Hello everyone
I have been absent for a few years and just been working as many hours as possible

Being , the more I work the least I eat

I started taking better care of my a1c by limiting my carb intake to basically , as little as possible

I have my a1c down to 5.9 now , compared to the a1c of 16
That I was running back in 2019

I look forward to reading and learning on how I can manage my diabetes better from everyone here

#2 ·
Welcome back! I'm glad you got a break from your hours.

Lots of us here have managed our diabetes successfully by eating as little in the way of carbs as possible. You might want to check out the Diet and Nutrition and Recipes subforums for some ideas. Questions are welcome, too. :)

#3 ·
Welcome back and congrats on lowering you A1c.

#4 ·
Welcome back! Congrats on the lowering of your A1c. It sounds as if we could learn something from you.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome back

I don't think the way I do things to get my A1c down so low is a good teaching technique

Being
I mainly live on just meat alone , because there's no carbs in meat

Rarely do I eat and fruits or vegetables , starch etc..

And when my blood sugar gets down into the 70's and 80's at work

I just eat 3 small bags of chips , which equals exactly 45 carbs

And that is what I am supposed to have per meal

The lowest my blood sugar ever gets is 62

And let me tell ya , my doctor is not happy at all with my diet

#6 ·
But is your doctor happy with the results? On what does he base his/her unhappiness? Traditional nutrition?

Carnivore diets are a thing. Low carb and ketogenic diets are a thing (and you're probably in ketosis nearly all the time). There's something to be said for not pumping in so many carbs that you need medication or insulin to counteract them. Meanwhile, recent studies show that the inflammation brought on by high levels of glucose in the body is more of a risk to cardiac and (other) organ health than a possible elevated level of cholesterol.

My practitioner and diabetes "educator" also didn't think much of the idea of my going low-carb to manage my T2. I've converted my practitioner, who considers me a model and says I should teach the rest of her diabetic patients how to keep their A1c low. I tell her that she probably wouldn't like what I have to say to them.

If you're feeling well and your lab markers are good, oh well....

#7 ·
My doctor says I can not live on a meat alone diet

I told her , watch me

Also I am a type 2 diabetic

I am on a cholesterol pill , which appears to be keeping my cholesterol in check

She also doesn't like my high sodium diet

Once she made me do a sodium blood test , before I left her office

And the results where normal , haha

#8 ·
My practitioner kept giving me the standard line about "you're older, you're overweight, you're diabetic, you should be on statins". I finally told her I would accept the Rx from her if I got a cholesterol particle test and failed. I didn't. My cholesterol is the big puffy type that doesn't infiltrate cells like the harder, smaller cholesterol particles most people have. End of statin discussion.

It's just too easy to oversimplify medical care. Turns out that just LDL alone is not a good predictor of cardiovascular disease. There are other measurements which seem to be better predictors. In the meantime, millions of people take statins despite the interactions with other medications and substances and despite the side effects, when, tested appropriately, they wouldn't have been prescribed them at all. sigh

#9 ·
Much is unknown with the keto diet and even less with carnivore. My initial thoughts were that it would lower the ketogenic ratio and possibly kick you out of ketosis, but I haven't done the math. Here is the formula if you don't have it: KR = (0.9 F + 0.46 P) : (C + 0.58 P + 0.1 F), where F is fat in grams, P is protein in grams, C is carbs in grams. Do the math in the data in the parenthesis and then divide the first by the second. Greater than 1 is ketogenic and makes ketosis possible but doesn't necessarily put you there, above a 2 is fairly certain to get most people there, and greater than 4 is the ratio they use to treat epilepsy. Be interesting to see what kind of ratios you come up with. If protein is not excessive, you should be good.

There are some carbs in muscle in the form of stored glycogen, but it shouldn't be much of a contribution to BG. Organ meat, especially liver, would contain more

Here is an article I ran across.on the carnivore diet.

If you don't mind sharing, what is your HDL/triglyceride ratio? Its probably not listed as a ratio, just divide your HDL number by your trig number. It is a much better indicator of cardio risks. Less than 2 is good, the lower the better.

#12 ·
Are you loosing weight right now? That may explain why your trigs are higher than I expected. Although your HDL is above the minimum for men (>40), a few places are calling 60 or greater ideal for adults without differentiating between women or men. A 2.31 ratio is not too bad, but below 2.0 is ideal for reduced cardiovascular risks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.