The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ...I am a newbie to this site so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Dee and I live in Nova Scotia. I was diagnosed with Diabetes when I was 6 months pregnant for my daughter when I was 30. First docs said it was Gestational Diabetes and tried to treat it with diet..this was unsuccessful. With looking at my A1C, family history (my Dad is Type 1 as well) and the fact that my blood sugar was 26.1 when I was admitted to hospital, they were thinking it may be Type 1 but couldn't say for sure as I was pregnant. Of course I thought my world was going to end. Such a life changing thing just as I was about to have my first child!! Along with all the other complications I was having during my pregnancy..I thought, great what else can go wrong. I constantly worried that it had hurt my baby in some way as I didn't know how long I had it for. Long story short...my baby was very healthy! I am a stubborn person by nature so I wasn't about to let Diabetes take me down. I also watched my father struggle with it for 25 years and saw the complications he has had from it and decided I was going to control my Diabetes..it wasn't going to control me. For 3 months after I had my daughter I didn't take any insulin..first I thought Whooo...it was Gestational. But then it "came back"..damn hormones!! I was controlling my Diabetes well until last summer. For whatever reason (docs said my pancreas was going through a honetmoon phase!) my blood sugars were all over the place. I decided to look into insulin pumps for better control. After a lot of research and fighting with my insurance company I finally got set up with an insulin pump April 2011....so it is still new to me but what a difference!! I love it. I am looking forward to meeting some new people and learning more about my Diabetes as I am still relatively new to it!:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Dee - great to have you with us. There's plenty of knowledge/wisdom/experience around here, and you've accumulated plenty of it yourself, so this oughta be a real good match. Thank you for joining us - I think we can help each other a lot, and that's what we're all about!

:welcome:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hello Dee - great to have you with us. There's plenty of knowledge/wisdom/experience around here, and you've accumulated plenty of it yourself, so this oughta be a real good match. Thank you for joining us - I think we can help each other a lot, and that's what we're all about!

:welcome:
Are you trying to tell Dee she's old?! ;)

Oh well, welcome to the forums, Dee!!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Welcome Dee! I don't know much about the pump or having Type 1, but can say I had 6 of the most wonderful weeks of my life in Nova Scotia (where I celebrated my 50th b'day) - you are some of the most open, warm, trusting, delightful people on the planet!

<snapping back on topic>

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Dee_H

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi everyone ...I am a newbie to this site so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Dee and I live in Nova Scotia. I was diagnosed with Diabetes when I was 6 months pregnant for my daughter when I was 30. First docs said it was Gestational Diabetes and tried to treat it with diet..this was unsuccessful. With looking at my A1C, family history (my Dad is Type 1 as well) and the fact that my blood sugar was 26.1 when I was admitted to hospital, they were thinking it may be Type 1 but couldn't say for sure as I was pregnant. Of course I thought my world was going to end. Such a life changing thing just as I was about to have my first child!! Along with all the other complications I was having during my pregnancy..I thought, great what else can go wrong. I constantly worried that it had hurt my baby in some way as I didn't know how long I had it for. Long story short...my baby was very healthy! I am a stubborn person by nature so I wasn't about to let Diabetes take me down. I also watched my father struggle with it for 25 years and saw the complications he has had from it and decided I was going to control my Diabetes..it wasn't going to control me. For 3 months after I had my daughter I didn't take any insulin..first I thought Whooo...it was Gestational. But then it "came back"..damn hormones!! I was controlling my Diabetes well until last summer. For whatever reason (docs said my pancreas was going through a honetmoon phase!) my blood sugars were all over the place. I decided to look into insulin pumps for better control. After a lot of research and fighting with my insurance company I finally got set up with an insulin pump April 2011....so it is still new to me but what a difference!! I love it. I am looking forward to meeting some new people and learning more about my Diabetes as I am still relatively new to it!:)
Hi Dee and welcome:D. I'm glad you found us. I'm sure you will be able to get lots of information and support here. Hope also you can share many experiences for us all too.

Gene

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! Tell us more about yourself if you need help, Aiden. Like what do you weigh, what your diet consists of, etc. What is your FBG? Hope you get comfortable here.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Dee, welcome! that is wonderful that you now have an insulin pump. It should enable you to have good control, provided that you have learned all the details of using it properly. The book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh has helped many pumpers to have great control.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy. I have pumped for 4 years and I love my pump too! Ask all the questions you want, we want to help.

Richard

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hello to all.I am diabetic patient and i recently join and find this over web.I hope i will be helped here.
Hi and welcome. It's good to have you here. Jump right in and make some new best friends.

Gene

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome Dee! I don't know much about the pump or having Type 1, but can say I had 6 of the most wonderful weeks of my life in Nova Scotia (where I celebrated my 50th b'day) - you are some of the most open, warm, trusting, delightful people on the planet!

<snapping back on topic>

Welcome to the forum!
Glad you enjoyed NS..it is beautiful here..something about Maritimers you gotta love Moon!!
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome..I look forward to getting to know more of you and share info.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts