The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and this disease. I was just diagnosed 2 months ago with a A1C of 12.7 and a fasting Glucose level of 307. I had no idead that I was sick -- I was feeling fine.I went to the dentist for a check up and found out that I had oral problems after having perfect check ups for 25+ years. He suggested that I see my family doctor because many teeth and gum diseases are a result of other conditions. My family doctor started me on 500 mg. of Metformin twice a day after a blood test and recommend exercise and diet changes. He was very concerned with my levels.
I have started to get my glucose under control with medication, lots of walking, restricting high carb foods, and weight loss. I have a lot to learn about type 2 diabetes and the lifestyle changes that are required to manage this disease. My numbers are getting much better. I am averaging around 100 in the morning and about 150 after food. I hope to get better control soon. I have eliminated all white processed flour products ( execpt low carb wheat wraps) and starchy vegetables from my diet. I walk on average about 3 miles a day when the weather permits ( longest 11 miles ). I am a 5'11" 44 year old male that was 260 lbs when diagnosed with diabetes. I have lost twenty pounds to date and feeling that I can learn to control this disease.
I hope to learn and share a lot on this site. I feel it helps to talk to others that have the same problems.
My GOALS in order:
1) Lower A1C
2) Lifestyle Changes -Diet and Exercise (find what works best for me)
3) Assemble health professionals -- need an Endo to start with
4) Lower Cholesterol --presently 223
5) Continue to loose weight
6) Learn and share about this disease

My next A1C is schedule for the end of this month and hopefully the news will be much better.

So here I sit with a perfect smile minus 1 molar and a diabetic -- I guess part of the struggle is excepting this disease. So from one diabetic to another I say "HI" -- Bman

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF from another Buckeye. Learning as much as possible about Diabetes is very important. I was actually dx'd when I went in for a new Rx for my glasses and the rest is history. Many of us had no symptoms prior to dx. My fasting was 240 and HbA1c in the high 10's. I was really not overweight but I totally changed my "healthy vegetarian diet". I starting eating meat, eggs and cheese again and my bgs have slowly come down. I started off on 500 mg of metformin but now take 2550 and that seems to do the trick with a very low carb diet. I'm glad you found us.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Bman. You sure hit the ground running, as it were - at least WALKING, eh? It's a good boost in resolve when the results roll in as quickly as they do - lowered BG & weight loss right away.

There's a lot to take in at the beginning & you've covered that part pretty well. Now that you've found us, you'll be able to brainstorm any problems you encounter in the future - somebody here is bound to have experience with whatever it is! I'm still awestruck with all the collective wisdom & knowledge here - they have made my life so much easier & I think they will yours too.

Take care, visit often & thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I'd say everything you are doing is great, but let the lipids take care of themselves.

Welcome! This is a terrific supportive forum with a lot of smart people!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi BMan,

You are doing great ! Congratulations !

Our numbers are very similar (nearly same) I've was diagnosed about 45 days back with an a1c of 12.7, fasting of 250, Weight of 245 lbs and a cholestrol of 223. My Next A1C is around end of November.

I've adopted pretty much the same schedule as yours in terms of diets & exercise and have been getting encouraging results

I've learnt a lot from this forum and Im sure you'll too

Welcome !

Tony

Reactions: Bman

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for all the support everyone
Hey Bman...I'm also an Ohioan. Where in Ohio are you located? I am in Northeast Ohio (Cleveland area) and I use an endo at the Cleveland Clinic who is absolutely wonderful. If you are interested I will give you her name and location. Just let me know.
You seem to be off to a great start. Most people who are newly diagnosed with diabetes go into denial for a period of time, but you seem to have grabbed the bull by the horns and stepped up to the plate. Keep doing whatever you are doing. It obviously seems to be working for you. Has your doctor scheduled you for another HbA1C in the next month? Usually they are done every three months since this test is over a 3-month time frame. Hopefully you will see much nicer numbers than what it was originally. Also, as far as you were feeling fine, that's how it can be with diabetes. You don't even know you have it, and it can be high like yours was, and no clue...it is actually rather scary if you think about it. Glad it was found, not glad you have it, but you now know and can treat it.
Everyone here has such great wisdom and self-education behind them, so feel free to ask questions, look at delicious recipes that many post here for low carbers, and do not be confused no matter what the medical professionals tell you about high fat such as coconut oil and animal fat. It is well documented that these are the types of fat you need to increase. They actually lower your cholesterol, trigs, and lipids. I'm a believer! Also, you may have some great information to contribute, or just chat! It is wonderful to be able to connect with people who are going through the same thing and can relate to you on your accomplishments and disappointments.
Welcome and great to meet you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts