1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

My name is Jerry.

HEre is my story
I just get some test of Fasting glucose 102, and A1c 5.4%.

My family doctor says I am fine. However I met a doctor at a friend party suggest me to look into it.

I surf the net and thinking I am actually might be very pre diabetic.

I am 32 years old, My graduate and 1 aunt dies because of diabetes in their early 60s.

I am 5'11" and only 160 lb. From what I read, if I have prediabete I will be a Type 1.5 right?

What test should I ask my doctor to perform inorder to diagnose the type? Is there any test that will help determine how much beta cell is left in my body?

My family doctor always says I am fine. I really have ask for all the test I needed.

Thanks and you all have a nice holiday!

Thanks

G

·
welcome Jerry :) You will need to get the GAD test and C-peptide test done to confirm what type of diabetes you have. Here our endocrinologists order these tests.... our GPs (regular docs) just order HbA1c tests which give a 60 day average of your blood glucose level. If the first 2 tests are done and they do not show any antibodies, then you would be diagnosed as pre-diabetic or type 2 diabetic. If you have antibodies, then it would be type 1 or type 1.5. It's a good idea to have the first 2 tests done later too to check whether or not there has been any change to your pancreas. I'm type 2 myself, although I was diagnosed in 1998 as a 25yo and I didn't have the 2 diagnostic tests done for some time after. When I finally did it showed that I had beta cell damage in my pancreas and that meant I know longer produced enough of my own insulin for my needs and I needed help... so I've been placed on insulin to treat my diabetes. Oral drugs would no longer work on me as they stimulate your pancreas to produce more insulin, and my pancreas just couldn't do that. Basically in your situation you just need to revise your diet and exercise and try and keep your BGLs within normal range. If you can do this successfully, you may be able to keep away from medications. For me I started out this way, but within a couple of years I was placed on medication. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
No, Jerry, you won't know if you are type 1.5 without the tests. In what I've read, there really is no 'pre-diabetic' but your numbers sound as if you can probably avoid becoming a 'full blown diabetic on drugs' if you eat very few carbs and get plenty of exercise. I'd say it's worth a try anyway. You'll need to figure out how many you eat daily at every meal first, then try lowering that amount some this week and test after every meal and see what your blood sugar does, then if not satisfactory, drop the carbs lower until you find the number your body can handle. Tedious, yes, but it works. In time, you be able to know what your pancreas can handle and just eat that way, but keep an eye on your meter the whole time because as time goes by and you age, it will change most likely.

Read all you can here to learn more and good luck! Glad you asked, because knowledge is power!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

Thanks very much guys for the information and support.

I was wondering if I am a later type 1 or type 1.5 does the diet control and excercise help?

If I excercise and control diet with type 1 or type 1.5, how fast it will develop into medicine dependent?

My fasting was 89 3 years ago, now it is 102 this rate is pretty fast to me as I am only 32. Does that looks like type 1.5 or 1.

I am try to push my doctor to give me the antibody test. He refused, and I am going to keep pushing him!

I am glad I find here. I will update my stutus soon

No, Jerry, you won't know if you are type 1.5 without the tests. In what I've read, there really is no 'pre-diabetic' but your numbers sound as if you can probably avoid becoming a 'full blown diabetic on drugs' if you eat very few carbs and get plenty of exercise. I'd say it's worth a try anyway. You'll need to figure out how many you eat daily at every meal first, then try lowering that amount some this week and test after every meal and see what your blood sugar does, then if not satisfactory, drop the carbs lower until you find the number your body can handle. Tedious, yes, but it works. In time, you be able to know what your pancreas can handle and just eat that way, but keep an eye on your meter the whole time because as time goes by and you age, it will change most likely.

Read all you can here to learn more and good luck! Glad you asked, because knowledge is power!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My fasting was 89 3 years ago, now it is 102 this rate is pretty fast to me as I am only 32. Does that looks like type 1.5 or 1.
The only way to diagnose this that I know of is via an antibody test.

I was dx'ed with very high numbers though my A1C was normal just 7 years ago. My endocrinologist said high numbers do not necessarily mean I've had diabetes a long time, that it's not a stock linear progression.

My personal approach would be to get a meter and test to see how your body is reacting to meals in general and carbs in particular. Once you identify foods that spike you, you can eliminate them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jerry said:
Thanks very much guys for the information and support.

I was wondering if I am a later type 1 or type 1.5 does the diet control and excercise help?

If I excercise and control diet with type 1 or type 1.5, how fast it will develop into medicine dependent?

I am try to push my doctor to give me the antibody test. He refused, and I am going to keep pushing him!

I am glad I find here. I will update my stutus soon
Type 1 requires insulin immediately... From what I just read type 1.5 usually requires insulin within 6 years

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi Jerry, welcome to the forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts