The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. So im 22.. ive been a diabetic over a year now.. i never took it seriously .. up until a few weeks ago... and its so hard to manage at 22!... any tips? i was on metformin.. but now taking Diamicron.. I dont know which is better.. I just started working out recently.. i hope this stuff doesnt make u gain weight?.. thers so many things i dont know about diabetes lol my drs good but i guess i gotta do my own research as well.. Hope everyone is well :)

G

·
welcome ps143 - I was diagnosed as 25yo so can relate to being young with the condition. I have pretty much been on just about all the oral drugs aside from Avandia (which I think is now banned here). I was on Metformin for 5 odd years and I didn't tolerate it. Metformin is supposedly known to be the only diabetic drug that actually assists with weight loss because it works on stopping your liver releasing too much glucose...(but in my view weight loss perhaps possible as it makes you feel like you have morning sickness constantly... the weight loss bit didn't work for me though) I was on Diamicron too.. main side effect is increasing your hunger. There's a drug called Januvia which I was on at one point which works by tricking your brain. All the other oral drugs on the market work on stimulating your pancreas to produce more insulin... so the main side effect for most is that they can make you very hungry. I was Diamicron and it seemed Ok on me although did nothing at all for my BGLs. I was on Melizide (same drug different brand) and that one in particular made me very hungry and again did nothing for my BGLs. Eventually I was put on insulin because my endo discovered that my pancreas actually no longer produces enough insulin that is needed to lower BGLs. I find insulin is better as I haven't really noticed any side effects on it. That's my experience with diabetic drugs, I hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, ps143 . . . yep, it all boils down to each of us finding the right combination for our own individual needs.

Let your meter be your guide, and it becomes a lot easier, because if you test after eating and what you ate sent your blood sugar too high, you know to stop eating that food! Not like it doesn't take some discipline, but at least we can isolate & eliminate the culprits that are kicking our BG into the stratosphere! :D

Thank you for joining us and I hope you'll be visiting often!

Hello.. So im 22.. ive been a diabetic over a year now.. i never took it seriously .. up until a few weeks ago... and its so hard to manage at 22!... any tips? i was on metformin.. but now taking Diamicron.. I dont know which is better.. I just started working out recently.. i hope this stuff doesnt make u gain weight?.. thers so many things i dont know about diabetes lol my drs good but i guess i gotta do my own research as well.. Hope everyone is well :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello ps143 and welcome to the happy home for diabetics! You need to work with your doctor and try different medications and you will find something to help with your diabetes. Yes, when you get diagnosed with diabetes you have to do your own research. There is a wealth of information here, be sure to read some of the posts here. Try and visit often and take care.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Iwas diagnosed as a T2 at 26 (13 years ago). you will get the hang of it

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
hi there and welcome!

I was diagnosed with T2 at the age of 16. It is tough to manage until you get the hang of it, but it can be done. :) I still take metformin, and have taken it for years. I tried to go off it at one point but my blood sugar became much more difficult to control. The first oral drug I started out with was micronase. I went to glyburide after awhile, then was switched to a metformin/glyburide combo drug called glucovance. I took that (at the max doasge) for a few years, then they added Januvia also. Finally someone did a c-peptide and discovered I was not making enough insulin anymore, so they added a basal insulin. Now, last time they checked, I barely make any insulin at all, so the only oral drug I take is metformin and I use insulin exclusively. At one point I did Byetta injections, but they made me so sick I had to stop taking them. I can see why they make you lose weight. Hard to gain weight when you can only keep down half of what you eat :D

One of the most important things that you are going to be able to do to control your blood sugar is to control the amount of carbohydrate you are eating. Hopefully you are checking your blood sugar regularly :)

Please feel free to ask all the questions you need to!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We are glad you are here!! I don't know much about Type 2 medicine so I will let others answer those questions. I hope you visit often and take a look at the wealth of information and support that you can find on this forum!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies!!... i noticed with Metformin it made my stomach soo upset!! like bad pains and embarrassingly.. (diarrhea) so thats why my dr gave me Diamicron.. but i noticed the 2 days ivebeen taking it my sugar levels have not changed! its so high.. and ive been trying to stay away from carbs but its so hard lol i love bread!! and pizza & pasta.. but i guess i gota learn to cut all those out.. i was in denial about even being diabetic for so long i think i made it worse.. but hopefully by getting rid of those out of my daily diet would make a difference.. and exercising regularly!.. thanks for ur support so far.. im so glad i found this site!! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi there and welcome!

I was diagnosed with T2 at the age of 16. It is tough to manage until you get the hang of it, but it can be done. :) I still take metformin, and have taken it for years. I tried to go off it at one point but my blood sugar became much more difficult to control. The first oral drug I started out with was micronase. I went to glyburide after awhile, then was switched to a metformin/glyburide combo drug called glucovance. I took that (at the max doasge) for a few years, then they added Januvia also. Finally someone did a c-peptide and discovered I was not making enough insulin anymore, so they added a basal insulin. Now, last time they checked, I barely make any insulin at all, so the only oral drug I take is metformin and I use insulin exclusively. At one point I did Byetta injections, but they made me so sick I had to stop taking them. I can see why they make you lose weight. Hard to gain weight when you can only keep down half of what you eat :D

One of the most important things that you are going to be able to do to control your blood sugar is to control the amount of carbohydrate you are eating. Hopefully you are checking your blood sugar regularly :)

Please feel free to ask all the questions you need to!
I really want to start being healthy again.. I am about 30 lbs over weight.. and its hard to sometimes find motivation to get up and work out.. what are your guys' daily diets like? and what are you doing to stay in shape.. any sort of input would be great!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I've been a type 2 for almost 4 years. I've been on different levels of metformin. I am now on the maximum amount divided in 3 daily doses. I found experimenting with the timing of the dose really has helped me regain control. Since my numbers are highest in the morning I take 2 doses in the morning and the last dose right before bed around midnight. That along with a fairly low carb diet and exercise will give you the best control. Also if you haven't tried it ask for the extended version of metformin. Most type 2 drugs don't allow us to eat a lot of carbs like bread or pizza. It is just a fact of life I have had to accept. That being said there are some lower carb breads and sprouted breads that may spike you less, so experiment and find one that may keep your bgs low. Sometimes eating 1 slice instead of 2 in a sandwich is a good strategy. I know with me, 15 carbs a meal is my limit. If I go over it my bgs will be higher than 130-140 at one hour. For the best results I like to keep it under 120 and closer to 110 at 2 hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.