The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quitted smoking 7 months ago, and quitted coffee 3 months ago, all because I wanted a healthier life style.... only to be diagnosed with Diabetes today.

It was like a overnight experience for me. I suddenly drink lots of water and visited the toilet like 5-6 times a a day in the middle of the night, and my vision blurred too. Made new glasses, and it was additional 100 degress on both eyes.. horrible.

I love food, and it was depressing walking through the food streets with all my favorite food reaching out to me this afternoon after visiting the clinic.

I hope to learn alot more about Diabetes and the kind of diet i should be having from this day onwards through this forum.

I'm not exactly a healthy eater. I love fried food, i love burgers, I love fruits like watermelon, honey dew, honey melon and lots of sweet loving fruits.

I bought Accu-Chek Advantage Bood Glucose Meter today, and tested myself at 27.8 mmol/L, how much should I maintain it at? How often should i test my glucose level?

Oh well, nice meeting everyone here. I'm sure I will feel less depress after knowing more friends here.

Now it's just thinking how I should break the news to my wife..

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Irony: :)

Strangely enough I have heard of other People with your experience. But don't forget that Type 2's especially, can have Diabetes for a few years without having such obvious symptoms. Sometimes people have none or just slight symptoms like feeling tired and intermittent headaches but don't associate them with Diabetes since they don't know the symptoms.

Well, now that you've eaten all the Bad foods, :D it's time to turn that around and eat the Better stuff. There are many Good ideas on this Forum. I'm not saying that you can't eat some of the foods that you have been eating but definately not as often. It's also a good idea to exercise before you eat especially if you are not on medications, so that the glucose from the foods that you will be eating, will have open cells in your body to go into. That way you should gain more energy to continue your day without feeling as tired.

I hope that you are testing your blood sugars. Write the results, times, foods that you've eaten in order to know what you shouldn't eat/drink, more exercise necessary, etc. As I've mentioned, I eat small portions of foods which allows me to eat most normal foods. I also like some low-carb foods. I'm on Insulin, so that along with exercise and water helps to rid my body of any excess glucose.

As far as all those yummy(Bad) foods that are calling to you, I get that occasionally still. You have to strengthen your mind against them with self-meditation or therapy from a Professional. Also you could change your routes to where no food is available. Even better if it is farther from your destination. More exercise, more open cells.

A blood sugar of 27.4 is Very high. I would suggest that you stop eating some of those foods because they will kill you eventually. Before that, they will cause you Bad complications.
I try to keep my blood sugars between 4.0mmol/L-7.0mmol/L most of the time. 4.0mmol/L-6.0mmol/L. is the recommended Good range.

Well, sit your Wife down and break it to her gently. It will be a shock for you both probably. Then both of you, read up on all the info you can get about Diabetes. You can control/manage this disease and live for a long time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You wife will probably become your biggest partner in keeping you healthy. You can do this! Did your doctor recommend any diet for you or suggest seeing a registered dietician or attending diabetes education classes? See if you can find anything like this. We are here to help you, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.

I was admitted to hospital over the weekend because I hit 33.7. Am now on medication and will be seeing my dietician tomorrow. Turn out my diabetes is most probably genetic.

Everything is now under control and I'm now trying to get use to the new diet since I was generally a big eater.

Know of any snacks to substitute potato chips and stuff? Is there a online shop of somesort which sells diabetic chocolates or cookies or something?

Btw, I'm 26.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Holy cow! I am glad you are doing better now. Unfortunately, even sugar free cookies have carbs in them. And as for potato chips, well, potatoes in general spike the blood sugar for most people. For now, I would concentrate on a healthy diet and maybe later you can add in a few 'treats'. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Irony:

Nice to see you back. I'mGlad that they could help you at the Hospital.

Here are some snacks but they also need to be eaten in moderate amounts. Almost every food raises blood sugar. There are more snacks and foods in the Diabretes Diet and Nutrition section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts