The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Eddie, I'm new to the forum, I've been a type II diabetic for 7 years, I am not on any medications, using only diet and exercise to control my blood glucose levels. When I was diagnosed, my bg level was 257 and a1c 10.5 and I weighed 323 lbs, using the dash diet, I lost 150 lbs in a 1 1/2 years and have maintained the weight loss, since the may fasting bg levels have been normal and my last a1c test was 4.2. I'm curious if anyone else have used the dash diet. It is a low sodium, low fat diet with a emphasis on whole grains, fresh fruit, vegetables, low fat dairy and smaller portions of lean meats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this the diet that was formulated to control hypertension? Do you have hypertension?

Yes, I also had hypertension, and was on 2 different medications for hypertension, after 1 month, my bg level was 95 and after 4 months, my blood pressure was normal and was off my meds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never heard of it, but glad it works so well for you. Welcome Eddie!

Thanks, as I said in my earlier post, I am curious if anyone else has used this eating plan, but I believe each person should find a eating plan or diet that works for them.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
That diet wouldn't work for me (for example 1/2 a grapefruit spikes me 50 pts) but I'm envious you can eat fruit. That's one thing I sorely miss.

Glad it's working for you - and congrats on your numbers (weight and bs - 4.2 is pretty remarkable.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That diet wouldn't work for me (for example 1/2 a grapefruit spikes me 50 pts) but I'm envious you can eat fruit. That's one thing I sorely miss.

Glad it's working for you - and congrats on your numbers (weight and bs - 4.2 is pretty remarkable.)

Thanks, I look forward to sharing my experiences living with diabetes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts