The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, it's me, Rosie! Haven't been around for some time because I have a homeless situation going on. Unfortunately, that's led to my downfall, diabetes-wise. No longer am I my doctor's "star patient" having turned my A1C from 11.3 down to 6.7 in three months - mostly a lot of what I have access now to is cheap carb-loaded food. I try to eat as well as possible, but when pizza or a hoagie or a frozen dinner is your only option, that's the way it's gotta be. I'm still testing and my bg goes way over 160 at times and lingers there and the toes tingle, but whattya gonna do. Hopefully, this will end soon and I'll be able to get back to where I was and I won't have any long-term complications coming my way.

Just wanted to keep everyone informed of my whereabouts and if you have any advice, please send it along.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw Rosie, that sucks. Are you in San Diego or still in Philly?
Hi Shanny,

Still in Filthy, planning to head back home to Portland once disability comes through (another year or so). San Diego would be great, but it's scary expensive there and I never want to deal with this again. At least in Portland, if you need help, it's always available!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Aw Rosie, sorry for your plight. I will send good thoughts and prayers your way to help with your situation. Do the best you can with the diabetes. Hoping you get to where you need to be soon. Hugs.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Wow, Rosie. I'm so sorry!

I have relatives in Oregon, and it's one state that still does pretty well by its people. Here's hoping you get there soonest!

Is there anything we can do to help?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Oh crud - only because I'm not sure I'm allowed an 'oh cr**' ... hope things right themselves soon.

Can't imagine how challenging eating is (among other things) - that bites. Maybe a great big oily pizza w/out the crust? But you know this stuff as well as we do ... damn!

Hang tight - one day at a time (but you know this stuff too ...)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Sorry to read this! I am hoping for the best for you -- please, keep in touch. Hope you can get help so your D does not mess you up, ASAP!

{{{HUGS!}}}

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Rosie. I'm so sorry!

I have relatives in Oregon, and it's one state that still does pretty well by its people. Here's hoping you get there soonest!

Is there anything we can do to help?
Hi Shalynne,

Really, just some good advice food-wise would be great. I get food stamps, same as before, so I'm trying to buy some of the same stuff but the big probem is that you aren't allowed to buy ready-made food - like a roasted chicken, say - with them. And I wonder how much long-term damage really is being done at this point. I think I would say I am over 140 at least half the time right now. Anyone have any thoughts? The good news is it's a helluva incentive to exercise like crazy! :target:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hi Shalynne,

Really, just some good advice food-wise would be great. I get food stamps, same as before, so I'm trying to buy some of the same stuff but the big probem is that you aren't allowed to buy ready-made food - like a roasted chicken, say - with them. And I wonder how much long-term damage really is being done at this point. I think I would say I am over 140 at least half the time right now. Anyone have any thoughts? The good news is it's a helluva incentive to exercise like crazy! :target:
How are you fixed for food prep and storage? The foods that come first to mind are salad greens, cheese, eggs, mayo and butter. If peanuts don't spike you, peanut butter and celery may work. My workplace does not have a cafeteria, is nowhere near any real grocers, and there's one greasy spoon within a 1-mile radius. Since I'm (still) no cook, I stock up on a lot of canned tuna and chicken, and deviled ham and other low-carb non-perishables so I don't have to hog our little fridge.

I know that cold cuts have sugar, but may be better than fast-food sandwiches.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How are you fixed for food prep and storage? The foods that come first to mind are salad greens, cheese, eggs, mayo and butter. If peanuts don't spike you, peanut butter and celery may work. My workplace does not have a cafeteria, is nowhere near any real grocers, and there's one greasy spoon within a 1-mile radius. Since I'm (still) no cook, I stock up on a lot of canned tuna and chicken, and deviled ham and other low-carb non-perishables so I don't have to hog our little fridge.

I know that cold cuts have sugar, but may be better than fast-food sandwiches.

You know, this might sound really ridiculous since I have been controlling this very welll though diet before this, but what if I went to an insulin regimen - would that combat the extra carbs I'm eating or am I setting myself up for disaster doing that?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
You know, this might sound really ridiculous since I have been controlling this very welll though diet before this, but what if I went to an insulin regimen - would that combat the extra carbs I'm eating or am I setting myself up for disaster doing that?
Hopefully you can find a doc who's wise in the ways of diabetes and insulin, so you don't yo-yo or go too low.

That said, I can no longer imagine being without the stuff. It doesn't let me pig out on carbs, but I do have a lot more freedom with insulin rather than without it. And I suspect more of us Type 2s would do well on insulin, at least for a time, to give our battered beta cells a chance to rest.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully you can find a doc who's wise in the ways of diabetes and insulin, so you don't yo-yo or go too low.

That said, I can no longer imagine being without the stuff. It doesn't let me pig out on carbs, but I do have a lot more freedom, with insulin rather than without it. And I suspect more of us Type 2s would do well on insulin, at least for a time, to give our battered beta cells a chance to rest.
That being said, how many carbs would you say a day you're doing with the insulin? Before this problem, I was trying to stay within 20 - I don't even want to imagine what I've been up to in the past month!
Probably 75-100.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I try to keep carbs very, very low -- 45g per day max (most days), not including leafy greens. My carb tolerance is teensy; going over that requires boatloads of rapid insulin (bolus). I tried to go for 20 or below at first -- most days are still like that -- but I learned that giving up wheat allows me to eat legumes and nuts without too much paranoia or bolus insulin. And I can now bolus reliably for other non-wheat carbs, though I try to keep them to a minimum.

But, as you well know, we're all different. Some folks can go over 100g per day on oral meds, or even just diet/exercise, alone. Others can do it on insulin, but may need additional meds.

I suppose I could go slightly higher-carb, but my insulin resistance would increase, my weight would balloon, and overall control would just keep getting tougher over time.

It's all a matter of testing. I wish there were clearer answers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts