The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Khalid ,i'am from India(BANGALORE).I'am Type 2 from past 6 months :eek: been confused with all thse blood testing & Calorie
counting

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, it could be a little confusing to begin with. You don't really need to count calories, but you DO need to count carbohydrates. Is there any sort of diabetes education classes you can go to? Or maybe see a Certified Registered Dietician? Otherwise, go to the American Diabetes Association web page for good basic advice. Also, there are some threads here to help you along. Good luck. We are all here to help you if you have any specific questions. I'm glad you decided to join us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My name is Khalid ,i'am from India(BANGALORE).I'am Type 2 from past 6 months :eek: been confused with all thse blood testing & Calorie
counting
Its nice to see all you people & read about personal experience
about the disorder

regards
md khalid

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'am confused if we are supposed to count carbs then why are we not advised to eat red meat etc:confused:
Well, I do eat red meat. But we are advised to keep it to a minimum because diabetics are also more prone to heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure. I eat very little if any white potatoes, white bread, white rice. I eat 100% whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes and lots of other veggies. I really don't eat any rice but if I did, it would be brown rice. Also, portion control is very important.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I do eat red meat. But we are advised to keep it to a minimum because diabetics are also more prone to heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure. I eat very little if any white potatoes, white bread, white rice. I eat 100% whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes and lots of other veggies. I really don't eat any rice but if I did, it would be brown rice. Also, portion control is very important.

From khalid
Yes that's correct but our Indian diet varies a lot from American food habits,also rice is staple food for people of south india unfortunately
It is consumed in various forms .Wondering what is max permissible
cutoff limit of BS for diabetics

·
Registered
279 Posts
I really don't know what the limit would be. Rice is high in carbs but I know different rices have different carb counts. You would have to see what kind of carb count your traditional rice has and limit how much you eat in regards to how many carbs you are allowed. In general, brown rice digests more slowly so releases carbs more slowly. Here is a website that may help.

CalorieKing - Calorie Counter - Calories in Rice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since u all r well versed with the working of diabetes,i found it easy to see the various post especially from Sr. members & not post replies as i am still a novice
thanks to ruby star & others to ptade my knowledge of type 2 :(
Regardas
Md khalid

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am glad to help in whatever little way I can. I definitely am not an expert. How have you been? Have your glucose numbers been good? Please let us know how you are progressing. If you do eat a lot of rice, and I know some cultures do, be sure to have lots of vegies and some protein such as beans or meat with it. That helps slow down the uptake of the carbs in your body therefore avoiding any big jumps in your glucose numbers, hopefully.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am glad to help in whatever little way I can. I definitely am not an expert. How have you been? Have your glucose numbers been good? Please let us know how you are progressing. If you do eat a lot of rice, and I know some cultures do, be sure to have lots of vegies and some protein such as beans or meat with it. That helps slow down the uptake of the carbs in your body therefore avoiding any big jumps in your glucose numbers, hopefully.
well my glucose levels are in the range of 140's to 160's & sometimes in the range of 180 if i had partied the night before
wondering if we are allowed to skip medicine & control it by exercise
& diet ,as i heard that diabetics medicines have short & long term effects finally thanks to you ,terrie & my knowledge bank Mr. richard::p

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would say if your glucose levels are that high ON medicine, then you aren't ready to try diet and exercise alone. I know there are side effects to our medicines but I don't think as serious as the side effects of high glucose levels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts