The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I'm a 36 year old mother of 2. I had gestational diabetes with my first child but that disappeared after she was born...

Since then I have struggle with poly cystic ovarian syndrome and the weight that goes with that. I have stoically ignored my health for the last few years but then was forced to go tot he Drs when I began to get migraines (not nice).

Anyway, long story short diagnosis of diabetes 2, extremely low vitamin D, and a couple of other related complications...My doctor has decided on a 3 month trial to see if we can bring it all under control. I have 1500mg of metformin each day (1x500 before meals) In the last 3 weeks I have managed to lose nearly 15 kgs...

Part of that is because I can't seem to eat any obvious carbohydrates anymore. Bread, pasta, potato, rice, sugar all seem to spike me through the roof and cause nasty cramps and nausea. Even in minuscule amounts. SO I have eliminated them from my diet at this stage.

I'm sure that by cruising around the forum I will get a greater understanding of diabetes and how to manage it but have a couple of upfront questions.

1. My blood sugar levels are much higher in the morning than the previous night without me eating or drinking anything in between. 7.8-8.0 before bed and then 9.9-10.1 in the morning? am I missing something?

2. Does anyone else have the same problems with obvious carbohydrates?

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello TiggleTaggle . . . to your questions first: No - and Yes! :D

No, you aren't missing anything - many of us struggle with what is called "dawn phenomenon" . . . the higher numbers in the morning. Just search the forum for that term, and you'll find at least half of us complain of it. Some have found remedies that work, at least part of the time - others of us are just resigned to that fasting reading being our highest of the day.

And yes, the obvious carbs are absolutely murder on our blood sugars . . . most of us have done as you have done - eliminated (or severely restricted) all of those foods. I'm willing to admit that if they gave me cramps & nausea, it would be a lot easier to pass them by! The confusion comes when our medical teams insist we need carbs to have a "balanced" and "healthy" diet. But any sane person with diabetes who wants to live to be old, knows after about two tests, that this professional advice is really off the track. Most of us eat to our meters, so if the meter says the spike is too high, then we scratch the foods that send it there.

I'm happy to welcome you to DF, and I hope we have a long happy friendship here!

:welcome:

G

·
welcome Tiggle :) I notice we're fellow sandgropers. lol I'm opposite to you in that I have to have carbs otherwise I get really sick with headaches and the whole bit. I also have PCOS and I get regular migraines, plus some unresolved GI problem. I'm 37yo but not a mum. So we've some similarities at least. You probably are getting that liver dumping as Shanny is advising. It happens to a lot of us unfortunately... and it can happen during the day too I notice if we have longer breaks between meals. I try to eat every 3-5 hours. If I leave it longer I wind up with hypo or my BGLs soar. It's a bit tricky this disease as what works for some doesn't work for all. This is a good spot to share experiences and find support, advice, etc. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi everyone

2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I'm a 36 year old mother of 2. I had gestational diabetes with my first child but that disappeared after she was born...

Since then I have struggle with poly cystic ovarian syndrome and the weight that goes with that. I have stoically ignored my health for the last few years but then was forced to go tot he Drs when I began to get migraines (not nice).

Anyway, long story short diagnosis of diabetes 2, extremely low vitamin D, and a couple of other related complications...My doctor has decided on a 3 month trial to see if we can bring it all under control. I have 1500mg of metformin each day (1x500 before meals) In the last 3 weeks I have managed to lose nearly 15 kgs...

Part of that is because I can't seem to eat any obvious carbohydrates anymore. Bread, pasta, potato, rice, sugar all seem to spike me through the roof and cause nasty cramps and nausea. Even in minuscule amounts. SO I have eliminated them from my diet at this stage.

I'm sure that by cruising around the forum I will get a greater understanding of diabetes and how to manage it but have a couple of upfront questions.

1. My blood sugar levels are much higher in the morning than the previous night without me eating or drinking anything in between. 7.8-8.0 before bed and then 9.9-10.1 in the morning? am I missing something?

2. Does anyone else have the same problems with obvious carbohydrates?

Thanks for reading :)
Hello and welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information here. I hope you have the time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou everyone for your replies. I really appreciate the time you've taken to post!

The last couple of days have been a bit overwhelming. I have to completely change my diet and while that is definately a good thing especially where my weight is concerned...trying to figure out what to eat and adjust to my meds and run a family is a challenge at the moment.

The last 2 days I went off all my meds and ate what I wanted to...then I felt sick from that so I decided it was probably better to be sick on meds than sick off meds..if that makes sense... :)

So, brief rebellion over I will be venturing forth to arm myself to find something else to eat besides bacon and eggs....

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts