The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 53 and live in a small town in the north of NZ and have late onset type 1. I have just started injecting insulin in the last month.10 Lantus and 3 humulog at each meal. Prior to that I was on metformin and glizacide but as soon as sugar levels were consistantly above 10 the insulin regime started. Thank you for all the information you give on here -I have learnt lots by lurking and its good to know that its not just me struggling a little coming to terms with the impact on a daily basis.
My diabetic nurse is convinced my diabetes was bought on as a result of a very stressful year incluing nursing my mother and her death and trying to cope with a demanding job. There is also a familial link so predisposed as well.
Anyway I am happy to have found this and look forward to gaining more info to live better......:Dianne :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Difo - and I'm sorry for the difficult year you've had. Caretaking is tough stuff - your mom was fortunate to have you at her side.

I'm a T2 not on insulin, but diabetes brought about a lot of changes for me too, one of them being that I hang around here for support and information! Hope you will too :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum Difo. You are a wonderful human being. Taking care of your parents when they need you the most is the noblest act. She was lucky to have you.

How are your numbers keeping ? Are you having good success with your control. Feel free to talk to us, drop your comments and ask lots of questions.

Welcome to the forum again !

G

·
Welcome to the forum, Dianne.

I'm another recently diagnosed diabetic, but it's T2 in my case. I'm in Queensland, so not very far from you on a global scale. :)

As you've already discovered, this is a great place to learn about diabetes and the other members are very supportive, which makes all the bewildering changes a lot easier to manage. Good luck with your T1 and insulin.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Dianne, welcome aboard! You will do very well with insulin. The book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh might help. It explains carb counting, which is the best way of determiming the proper insulin dosages before meals. I gives great information on many topics.

I have used insulin for 66 years, and am very healthy. With good control. you can have a long, healthy life.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone

:)Wow, I really feel part of the big wide world when you see where everyone lives.
Richard I have already purchased a book you recomended about low carb eating and set to educate myself so will look for that one too.
I have realised how uncontrolled I have been on meds rather than insulin and often had readings up to 17. Now they range between 5-9 and feels like I havecome out of a fog.I have had a couple of scary lows and luckily my friends are keen to be educated on what to do because I am not sure I recognise the slide into a low yet!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Dianne! So happy to have you with us & I hope you reap the benefits of all the wisdom & experience here, like I have. These folks are such great help, and so much fun to hang out with!

Take care & visit often! :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Diane, it is good that you have helpful friends. I hope you have someone to help you at home too. I have known about diabetics who lived alone, and there were times they needed someone badly, and there was no help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Richard you are obviously very perceptive. I now find myself often reassuring my friends and family of the risks of living alone with diabetes -I have my 15 year old daughter here 3 or 4 nights a week. Part of my stressful year before diagnosis was me deciding to walk away from a 34 year marriage and looking back I'm sure there were a lot of irrational decisions made that might tie in to symtoms of diabetes? and otherwise there are so many positives in my new life I don't want to dwell on past regrets.
Reading some of the posts here makes me realise how fortunate we are in NZ that most of the care and medications are subsidised or free for diabetics. $25 per year pays for ambulance (paramedic) in our community.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Difo, I am glad you are able to look at your life that way, and hold everything together. Take good care of yourself. It sure would be nice if you had a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) that would alarm at night when you have dropped too low.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 12 of 12 Posts