The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I got diagnosed with type 2 two days ago, on friday. :( It was a complete shock, and I still struggle with believing it. I`m trying to understand what this means for me, for my life, for my diet etc. My doc didn`t tell me much. He sent me home and told me to measure my bloodsugar for the next 4 weeks, and to take 500mg Metformin every morning and evening. When I was at his office, my sugar was 15. At home these last 2 days, it has been as "low" as 11,4 and as high as 21,3. I`m dizzy, shaking and feeling pretty bad at times.

I`m trying to understand what you guys are writing, but I don`t know all the medical terms yet. I see you often talk about BG, what is that? And I see numbers way over 100, when talking about what I think I understand to be bloodsugar? If someone would explain/point me in the right direction, I would appreciate a little crashcourse. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to DF, LBM, and thank you for joining us.

"BG" refers to our blood glucose readings and is sometimes noted as BGL (blood glucose level) or BS (blood sugar). There are two methods of measuring it; "mmol.l" which is what you and most countries of the world are using. The other method is "mg/dl" which is used primarily in the USA. To convert one figure to the other, we multiply or divide by 18.

Whatever other questions you have, jump right in and ask . . . we're here to help you learn the ropes as quickly/easily as you can.

Hi!

I got diagnosed with type 2 two days ago, on friday. :( It was a complete shock, and I still struggle with believing it. I`m trying to understand what this means for me, for my life, for my diet etc. My doc didn`t tell me much. He sent me home and told me to measure my bloodsugar for the next 4 weeks, and to take 500mg Metformin every morning and evening. When I was at his office, my sugar was 15. At home these last 2 days, it has been as "low" as 11,4 and as high as 21,3. I`m dizzy, shaking and feeling pretty bad at times.

I`m trying to understand what you guys are writing, but I don`t know all the medical terms yet. I see you often talk about BG, what is that? And I see numbers way over 100, when talking about what I think I understand to be bloodsugar? If someone would explain/point me in the right direction, I would appreciate a little crashcourse. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome, it is very confusing sometimes. In the US we just have to be different, so when you see our numbers like 100 just divide by 18 = 5.5 . Your 15 would be 270. A normal non diabetic is usually under 100. So eventually that is where you want your numbers to be. It won't happen overnight. Also you may need to adjust your diet and add some exercise if you don't already do it. When you go back to the doctors for your next appointment depending on your numbers you may need to increase metformin. I had to increase mine twice before I saw much lower numbers. Also form many of us losing weight and eating lower carb seems to help.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse than eating bowl of sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BGL before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BGL spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BGL should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so, so much! :)

Everything is a little less scary and lonely when I can read what other people in my situation do.

Oooh, and please tell me if I`m difficult to understand sometimes. English isn`t my native language, so I sometimes struggle with how to write what I want to say. :eek:

G

·
welcome LoveBugMama - I'm T2 also and I remember the feeling of when I was first diagnosed (as was only a 25yo)... it's all so daunting at first. I had no support really at the time and I was just sent for numerous tests and told that I had to get diet and exercise under tight control. If I can think of what I would have liked someone to say to me when I was first diagnosed... it would be "it's Ok you can do this" and also to be told that "it's a journey and to not let it control you, you do your best to control it". I got told right from the start that there was no cure and it's progressive... both things frightened me and made me angry. But you will read plenty of stories and advice on this forum that will no doubt help you understand things better and trial what works for you and what doesn't. I only joined this forum myself recently and so I pretty much spent 12 years without sharing with other diabetics my experiences or listening to others about theirs. I think talking about the tough stuff helps... can help take the stress out of it all too. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found a vegan diet really helps. There is one from Arizona and I bought the book on Amazon.com -- I never look @ the title but I think it's LifeStyle of America -- vegan diet for diabetics. Great program! Explains everything and is based for diabetics.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome! :welcome:

I know *exactly* how you feel. I was diagnosed less than a month ago, so I'm just a little ahead of where you currently are.

There are some great people here with some great advice. When I was diagnosed I searched everywhere for information, and this is one of the best places to be. You'll find a great deal of support here.

Just a few other things I thought I'd mention quickly:

1. I see you're on Metformin, as am I... it has side-effects, mostly nausea and/or diarrhea ... those effects do seem to pass eventually for most of us. Try to grin and bear it.

2. I also found great info at bloodsugar101 (and I hope it's OK to link to it here...)

3. Don't get discouraged! I sure did at first, but my BG readings are slowly coming down (14.8 fasting at diagnosis, normally around 6.9 after meals now, still around 7.8 most mornings, but getting better!) Education is your best friend!

... and post how you're doing. I know (for me) it's nice to know I'm not alone in this, and getting/giving support and encouragement is great for all of us.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts