The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Teresa. I am 67 years old. I have had Type 2 for about 10 years. I live in Oregon. I am prescribed 2000 mg metformin, glipizide 20 mg, and Lantus Solostar insulin 150 units daily. I recently went on a low carb diet and stopped taking my glipizide and my lantus. Wondering if anyone else has done something similar. So far my blood sugar readings are still the same as when taking these medications, but they are still not good (between 150 and 200). So far I have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks of the diet. I also take 40 mg of lisinopril.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hi TMJ and welcome aboard. We all here have been or are in the same boat you are with this disease. So you are with friends...who understand what you are saying...

I am a 65 year old guy that has been dealing with type 2 for over 8 years. Last year I weighted in around 320, at 6'2"! Have weighted close to that for over 20 years. I have been on 2000mg Metformin and was on 126u of Lantus nightly. My A1c last fall had climbed up to 7.9! I started exercising and reducing carbs, I was hungry all the time, but by March of 2015 I was down to 7.3..had not lost more than 3lbs, if that. My blood pressure was at 135/89, with blood pressure meds, my Cholesterol was a bit high, etc. etc. I knew I had to do something drastic/ or at least find something new!

In April of this year I found this website and began reading about eating very low carbs, but substituting that change with increase eating of FATS, all kinds of fat. We call it Low Carb High Fat life style. LCHF for short. After reading all the recommended reading, the experienced folks here told me about, and doing my own research, I decided to start following this LCHF life beginning May 1, 2015. I got a new meter and 400 test strips, so I could test more and test after eating (eat to my meter), something else we all preach....and off I went on 5/1!

I will skip all the details but at my first doctors meeting in July, I had dropped 25 lbs. (no exercise involved). My A1c was at 6.0, blood pressure at 125/75, Cholesterol was on target and better than when I was 40, etc. etc. My doctor was amazed and ecstatic! During this whole time I ate less than 50 carbs per day, and I ate lots of fat. I ate when I was hungry and ate all I wanted. My cravings for sweets and other carbs left me after 2 weeks, I feel full all the time, yet when I do eat it tastes so good! What' not to like. Over this same period I reduced my Lantus injections from 126u to 45u as of this week. I am now down over 38 lbs. now at 282 lbs.

So what you need to do first is get the knowledge, do the reading do your own research. that is KEY! You have to understand why this works, and how you can make it work. Also you need to become familiar with our menus on this site, what many options we have for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and snacks. I will provide some of the reading options below...but other more senior folks will jump in and give you more to consider and understand.

This site has changed my life and my outlook....what is not to like?

I stole all of the listing below from other who are Senior Members....I hope they forgive me for 'Plagiarizing' their posts, but I did not keep their names organized to give each of the proper credit. If you stay with us you will get to know them one and all....we could not do this, without them!

All of our Senior Members recommend this website to get us started Blood Sugar 101 it provides the basic knowledge necessary to get started.

·
Super Moderator
9,634 Posts
Hi TMJ and welcome to the forum.

Stick with the diet, it doesn't add to your BG numbers. If it doesn't come down, you might want to consider restarting the Lantus. It is possible that the glipizide has handicapped your own natural supply of insulin. Need to see if your doctor will test for c-peptide, a protein that indicates how much natural insulin you produce.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi I have followed you on DD just keep at it, add the fat and see if that helps you. Each of us has to find what works, if we make no changes nothing really happens. So change things add some steps in if you can all of it helps.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I took 2.5 mg (1/2 pill) for a month and decided I just could not stand it any more. Never felt so horrible in my life. I am so grateful for BloodSugar101 and this forum. What a difference!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all

I really appreciate all of the replies I had to my original post. I have started lantus again (slowly..10 units now for 2 days). I figure I will go a week at each level and increase it by 5 if I am still not getting readings I like. I have now lost 11 pounds and I am in ketosis. I love the lchf diet, and have no trouble sticking to it.

All of you are so nice..I really appreciate the support.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I am happy you started lantus again and you are doing it in small increments. If you are truly a T2 you may be able to get off lantus and go to just Met but time and tests will tell. Monitor BS carefully and adjust Lantus accordingly. Insulin and Met are he only drugs to consider. With LFHC you won't need as much of either. Welcome and good for you for taking control! Get the c peptide test if you haven't. Insulin can be a temporary thing for some to allow their pancreases a chance to keep up and catch up but then diet is imperative!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi, Theresa. I'm a 68 year old type 1, and I'm glad you have found this spot. It sounds like you are doing very well, and I'm sure you will continue. The support here is great, and believe me, you can talk about anything. There is somebody out there who has experienced whatever it is that's a trouble.
Welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts