The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,just thought i would introduce myself as i`m new to your forum.My name`s Mike Im 42 and have been a type 1 diabetic for 37 years.Although I have been diabetic for a long time I perhaps dont take as much care of my condition as I should as I like to live a full and active life.Although I have an active social life,Im the only diabetic I know and sometimes find myself on the outside looking in at the rest of the "normal" world and would like to talk to other diabetics with similar experiences as myself.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Mike, welcome aboard! I understand your feeling of being isolated. It was that way for me until I joined a few diabetes websites. I hope you can get some good information here. Ask all the questions you want!

I have beem Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. With good control we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

·
Registered
39 Posts
welcome

Hello

Thirty four years ago, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have gained rich experience in dealing with the disease from every aspect since that time, including the maintenance of a happy family. I understand your need to have a full life. However, I do think it can be dome with controlling the blood levels.
I beleive that a balanced life is a state in which, in addition to maintaining a stable blood glucose level, the diabetic and his family lead a full and ordered life, combining the necessary medical treatments and tests, healthy diet and positive thinking.
Will be happy to assist you.

Iris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello

Thirty four years ago, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have gained rich experience in dealing with the disease from every aspect since that time, including the maintenance of a happy family. I understand your need to have a full life. However, I do think it can be dome with controlling the blood levels.
I beleive that a balanced life is a state in which, in addition to maintaining a stable blood glucose level, the diabetic and his family lead a full and ordered life, combining the necessary medical treatments and tests, healthy diet and positive thinking.
Will be happy to assist you[/URL].

Iris
Thanks Iris,I do test regularly and get plenty of exercise too much sometimes which leads to taking on too much sugar and then being high for ages.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How much time is too much and what type of exercise?
Are you using insulin pump or injections? Is always the same type of exercise or it varies? I would like to understand if you can start loging it and learning from it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much time is too much and what type of exercise?
Are you using insulin pump or injections? Is always the same type of exercise or it varies? I would like to understand if you can start loging it and learning from it.
Injections,i walk 3 miles to work and 3 miles back every day which is constant.The variables are the weather which can make it harder/easier and what i do in work when i gat there.It could be full on or virtually nothing as its a maintenance job and i dont know what maintenance is required until it comes in.I also feel very tired after getting home and sometimes fall asleep and forget to take my lantus,leading to further probs,is there anything good for type 1 diabetics to take as a pick me up? i find diet red bull helps some times but have been told it is not good for diabetics.:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
options

i find diet red bull helps some times but have been told it is not good for diabetics.:confused:
- I don't know red bull diet. Does it contain carbs? if so, how many?
- DO you take only Lantus or also rapid acting insulin?
-Does it happen al ot that you forget taking Lantus when you get back from work? Why not changing the time of the injection so you can forget it (when you get up).
- How many hypos do you face per week? Is it on the same time (morning, noon, afternoon, evening)?

Iris Peleg

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the forum

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum.

I've been living overseas in Thailand for the past five years. originally from Canada.

I was diagnosed several years ago with Type 2 diabetes, when I was living in Korea.

As I'm not living in a major city it is difficult for me to get answers to questions that I have in terms of my personal management.

So I figured the forum might be the best place to start.

So howdy all.

Oh yes, I'm 50.

I wouldn't mind making a simple enquiry. Would that be okay now?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Mike, My name is Peter and I am 48 with 38 years of this disease so we share experiences of the early days LOL. Anyway welcome to DF. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
- I don't know red bull diet. Does it contain carbs? if so, how many?
- DO you take only Lantus or also rapid acting insulin?
-Does it happen al ot that you forget taking Lantus when you get back from work? Why not changing the time of the injection so you can forget it (when you get up).
- How many hypos do you face per week? Is it on the same time (morning, noon, afternoon, evening)?

Iris Peleg
Diet red bull is virtually carb free and contains caffiene taurine thiamine and several other stimulai.I take lantus and novorapid.The trouble with taking the lantus in the morning is that when i get up for work its 0530,when i get up on a day off its 1000,1100 or possibly later and there would be an overlap. I dont have many hypos as i test extensively but when i take on carbs to stop a hypo i often go over the top and end up with high readings.When i am not working i have good control generally but i cannot afford to pack in work,therein lies the crux of the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
suggestions

- diet red bull seams to be OK since it is carb free
- What about moving the Lantus to the evening? will that be better for you? It doesn't have to be in the morning unless you are facing some hypos during the night. What are your sugar levels in the morning?

Iris Peleg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, I feel the same way too. No one I know has type 1 and those with type 2 that I know, just don't get it. I have had diabetes 1 since I was 24 and I am now 41. I have been very lucky because I have no complications and I realized reading all these threads that I needed to get it together. So I am getting a pump this week. What a hassle to get one. Too many hoops, but I'm almost there. I have switched docs that are an hour and a half away (Santa Barbara) not a bad drive- very pretty. Hope that being on the forum helps you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I feel the same way too. No one I know has type 1 and those with type 2 that I know, just don't get it. I have had diabetes 1 since I was 24 and I am now 41. I have been very lucky because I have no complications and I realized reading all these threads that I needed to get it together. So I am getting a pump this week. What a hassle to get one. Too many hoops, but I'm almost there. I have switched docs that are an hour and a half away (Santa Barbara) not a bad drive- very pretty. Hope that being on the forum helps you out.
Not sure how good a pump is for a healthy lifestyle,never been offered one on nhs in GB,sure insulin affects the mental state of a diabetic as i have a lot of mental highs and lows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts