The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a month ago. My fasting glucose was 162, and my a1c was 7.4. I am currently taking Metformin 500mg twice per day, which seems to be working really well. My BS numbers have gone down pretty much to the normal range. I was eating a low-carb diet (about 50-60 gms per day) after my diagnosis, but I've since started the LCHF diet and am only doing about 10-20 gms per day now.

I've been reading on this forum for about a week now, and that leads me to my question. I'm wondering how long a dose of Metformin stays in your system? The reason I ask is because I've been testing my BS before bedtime lately, and it's usually in the 70s to 80s range. I've read on here about people "crashing" from too low BS. If my BS is, say, 74 when I go to bed, is it possible that the Metformin will cause it to keep going down while I'm sleeping and cause me to crash? I hope this isn't a silly question, but I'm a worrier and think about things like this. I don't want to crash and die in my sleep. I take the Metformin around 6 p.m. with supper and go to bed around 11 p.m.

BTW, the person who diagnosed me is a nurse practitioner, and she did not seem too knowledgeable about diabetes. She said my diabetes wasn't "very bad." She works in my doctor's office, and I was wondering if I should switch my care over to my doc instead of the nurse practitioner.

Thanks for any advice. Anna.

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
Most doctors don't seem too knowledgable either. They refer to ADA guidelines and false lipid recommendations.

Edit>. Metformin is not going to drive down your BG to give you hypos.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mbuster! That's good to know about the Metformin. Maybe now I can stop worrying. :)

That's sad about doctor's being misinformed about diabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Metformin is one of the safest drugs on the market . . . there are a rare few who have severe gastric side effects, but for most of us met helps us with control, it curbs our appetites, and all without damage to our pancreata! ;) Since it doesn't force additional production of insulin, it doesn't cause lows/hypos. You can sleep peacefully knowing you'll waken bright-eyed & bushy-tailed. :D

Professionals in the medical community know only what they've been taught which is more than likely horribly outdated and in a word - wrong. The good ones keep an open mind and pay attention when their advice isn't working, looking for alternatives, like the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating which controls diabetes much better than the 'official' diet. LC/HF also regulates other healthy conditions like cholesterol, hypertension, obesity, etc.

Be sure you include enough fats in your meals to compensate for the reduction in carbs. Looks like you're well on your way!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shanny! I did have a couple of side effects the first week on the Metformin (upset stomach & diarrhea), but those are gone now. I'm glad to hear that it can help curb the appetite! I need to lose about 30 lbs. And, knowing the facts about Metformin now, I'll be able to sleep tonight. :)

I'll be sure to add more fats. There's still a slight, lingering part of me that has a fear of fats, but from what I've read here, the LCHF diet really seems to work well for people. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Anna,

Just in passing, just this once your nurse wasn't totally wrong in describing your condition as "not too bad".

With a low carb diet and an increase in good healthy natural fats you might well do much as I did. I started at an HbA1c of 8.2% and about 15 pounds overweight, so I was better off than you in one way and worse in the other :).

Anyway, six months down the track my numbers were down to what you see in my signature - an HbA1c of 5.1% and thirty pounds lost in weight - and - no medication!

Go for it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, I'm sorry I'm so late in responding. Something was wrong with my computer last night, and I couldn't get on the forum.

Anyway, I see what you're saying about my situation not being "too bad," comparatively speaking.

And congratulations on your success at getting your diabetes under control, and with no medications no less! Your success is an inspiration. I'll do my best. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
John, I'm sorry I'm so late in responding. Something was wrong with my computer last night, and I couldn't get on the forum.
I'm not sure it was your computer - or if it was it infected mine here in France:) (Nah, truthfully, Bob our administrator said that the site had some issues last night)

Anyway, my unfair advantage is that my wife is a complete bully when it comes to diet. :eek:

She swapped me over to reduced carb, with higher fat and she still portion controls me with a rod of iron. Still, on around 2,000 calories per day I don't starve and that's the level I've been on for two and half years now.

So, if lazy old me can do it - so can you!:target:

·
hans
1,548 Posts
Anna, welcome to the forum. Yes your numbers are not so bad. As a matter of fact nearly exactly the same as I had at diagnosis: 7.5 and fasting glucose 9.1 (164 US standards). I also got Metformin and to begin with 500 mg once a day. My doctor said I perhaps needed more, but on my next visit the numbers had very much improved - no need to increase and after six months no medicine at all.

And finally, in a short time you already have made a great improvement. Good luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha John. You're fortunate to have a "bully" for a wife. Sounds like she takes good care of you. I sometimes wish I had a chef who would prepare my meals for me. I wouldn't get so tempted to "taste test" when I'm cooking for my family. I'm eating only the meat and veggies now, but since they're all very healthy, I also make things like potatoes and rice for them. Ahhh, the temptation! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hans, thank you for the welcome. Pretty amazing how our numbers were so close to each other.

Congrats on being med-free! It really helps me to hear success stories like yours and John's. Quite an inspiration. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Anna! I'm new here too and just wanted to say welcome!

Lizzy

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Anna. Just stay on an even keel and you may well turn out to be one of us who can control either with metformin or with effort in time may be able to drop meds.

Good luck,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Patdart! It's been so wonderful hearing from so many of you who are doing so well with diabetes. It really gives me hope and inspiration. I'm going to do my best to stay on track with it. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts