The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a type one diabetic diagnosed about ten years ago after my second child. I am a urea and a half into wearing an insulin pump and would tell anyone who was as nervous as myself to do it. It's the only way to manage it properly. I waited too many years too nervous to "being attached to a device" and now having experienced it. It's changed my life. I have struggled for years with multiple injections. Ending in the hospital a few times after mixing up my two insulins and finally conceded to the pump when I stopped feeling overnight lows I am currently recovering from a life death experience (not diabetic related) and have to say that I was shocked at how little the nurses knew about the pump and in general diabetics I have come here because I feel alone and wonder how others cope with their day to day struggle to care for themselves. Any other adults on a pump ?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi and welcome to our little corner of the universe! Yes, we have a happy little group of pumpers who will be along soon, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home. Meanwhile tell us more about yourself...your weight, your #'s and anything else you'd like. It helps us to answer any questions you have if we know you better.

Glad you came,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome off to a good start

Hi and welcome to our little corner of the universe! Yes, we have a happy little group of pumpers who will be along soon, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home. Meanwhile tell us more about yourself...your weight, your #'s and anything else you'd like. It helps us to answer any questions you have if we know you better.

Glad you came,
I And have pretty much always been between 110 to 115 pounds I am a very sensitive to insulin and have suffered lows in any and all places and activities to the point that I become incapable of going anywhere without triggering the flight or fleet response and it just became uncomfortable to go anywhere. That's why I say the pump changed my life. With the sensor it gives me the confidence knowing it will beep if I am heading towards a low. As my dr says she has patients afraid of highs and lows. And I am fearful of lows big time. My biggest issue is I can't get a handle on doing exercise and how and when it will kick in. I am hoping someone else might be able to help me. I generally try to be between 7 to 10. But it's tough. Hoping to hear I am not alone. I am on antidepressants for about three years due to panic attacks about going out And was recently put on a blood pressure pill as I am weak from my hospital stay. It was four weeks plus three in rehab to gain strength to walk Don't know what else to add except I am eternally optimistic however very brow beating on myself for not getting perfect. (a personality flaw and Irish guilt instilled since childhood). I am hoping to see I am not the only o e struggling. And to share the tips I have learned

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice for pumping, still new to D and am currently on MDI, I still hope to make your stay a pleasant one. ;)

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! I have been type 1 for 66 years, and am doing very well. I have used a Minimed pump for almost 5 years, and it has greatly improved my control. I do not have as many highs and lows now. If you learn how to use your pump, and give it lots of attention, your control and your health will be much better. The book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh is a very good guide to getting the very best control. I bought my copy on amazon.com. Having a good pump trainer helps too. Have you found a trainer who will get you started. Be sure to read the manual very carefully, and do some online research too. Your questions can be answered here too.

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts