The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have been diabetic since 20yrs. I became a diabetic when I was given Danazole compound harmones to treat my endometriasis cyst. Since then I must have used whole lot of medicines and treatments to gain control. Tablets never worked on me for more than 1 or 2 yrs so I was put on Insulin. As my both parents were also diabetic I knew what was required of me, and adjusted quite fast. I an active person and walk almost daily for 1hr, morning and evening included. I am Homemaker by choice, but conduct home tutions and several craft classes in holidays for kids in the neighbourhood. My control over diabetis keeps shifting sometimes and my A1c ranges from 6.3 to 7 and 8 also sometimes . I have High blood presure too for which I am taking starpress xl-50 in the morning and Rosuvas-10 in the night.

Since 3 months I was detected with insulin resistance or the type of insulin was not working for me. I was in Mixtard 30/70 40 units and 30 along with amaryl 2 and metformin 1000 twise daily. At present I am taking Apidra solostar-24 thrice daily and Basalog 40 units in the night along with Glimperide-1 twice daily and carbophage-1 twice daily. I am continuing my walks as usual and I am on low fat nd low carb diet. I sometimes wonder what if I develop resistance to this tsreatment also..and this treatment is proving to be very costly as we are retired people.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I Have been diabetic since 20yrs. I became a diabetic when I was given Danazole compound harmones to treat my endometriasis cyst. Since then I must have used whole lot of medicines and treatments to gain control. Tablets never worked on me for more than 1 or 2 yrs so I was put on Insulin. As my both parents were also diabetic I knew what was required of me, and adjusted quite fast. I an active person and walk almost daily for 1hr, morning and evening included. I am Homemaker by choice, but conduct home tutions and several craft classes in holidays for kids in the neighbourhood. My control over diabetis keeps shifting sometimes and my A1c ranges from 6.3 to 7 and 8 also sometimes . I have High blood presure too for which I am taking starpress xl-50 in the morning and Rosuvas-10 in the night.

Since 3 months I was detected with insulin resistance or the type of insulin was not working for me. I was in Mixtard 30/70 40 units and 30 along with amaryl 2 and metformin 1000 twise daily. At present I am taking Apidra solostar-24 thrice daily and Basalog 40 units in the night along with Glimperide-1 twice daily and carbophage-1 twice daily. I am continuing my walks as usual and I am on low fat nd low carb diet. I sometimes wonder what if I develop resistance to this tsreatment also..and this treatment is proving to be very costly as we are retired people.
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Come on in and get comfortable :couch2: There is a lot to be learned here on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have insulin resistance, but it sounds like you have things under control. Diabetes is a progressive disease and there will be times that we have to adjust our medication when things change. Treating diabetes is expensive, it is one of the most expensive diseases to treat. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, anuradha.m . . . thank you for joining us! I hope you'll be able to visit often. Many of us are retired people, and managing our diabetes is a very expensive undertaking. You're among friends here, and I hope you'll make yourself at home with us!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ThanQ

Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Come on in and get comfortable :couch2: There is a lot to be learned here on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have insulin resistance, but it sounds like you have things under control. Diabetes is a progressive disease and there will be times that we have to adjust our medication when things change. Treating diabetes is expensive, it is one of the most expensive diseases to treat. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care.
ThanQ for your comforting note...we as diabetics have to evolve daily and learn daily something new. This process has to be logged carefully to make us aware what we are or what we are going to be later. My present problem is skin rash which is scaly and itchy in winters. searcing remedy.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
ThanQ for your comforting note...we as diabetics have to evolve daily and learn daily something new. This process has to be logged carefully to make us aware what we are or what we are going to be later. My present problem is skin rash which is scaly and itchy in winters. searcing remedy.
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to getting to know you and learning from you also how you manage your diabetes. I know I have the same dry skin problems in the winter. I am constantly putting on a good moisturizing lotion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to getting to know you and learning from you also how you manage your diabetes. I know I have the same dry skin problems in the winter. I am constantly putting on a good moisturizing lotion.
Hi, I walk for about an hour daily either in the morning or in the evening, my mom is dependent on me, so I am half the time looking after her, she is a heart patient and also a diabetic, I love gardening and various other interests too..I take painting classes and teach english some times in the weekends to the kids in the neighbourhood. Play badminton too and sometimes handball lwith the kids. I am vegetarian by choice, so my meals are totally Indian vegetarian, sometimes I make chinese or continental. whatever I eat I measure the portions and include a lot of salads and fruits too. i like my sweets but I make them with splenda or equivalent.

I am also using lot of moisurizing lotions but I found Aloevera gel mixed with coconut oil to be helpful mostly, u may want to add some aroma oil to it or some fragrance, apply liberally before and after a bath, its really helping me. just be positive and do what u have to do and rest leave it to GOD, if He feels that u deserve more from life He will definitely give..just dont lose faith in HIM and in yourself too! bye and take care.:eek:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If itching is a problem, maybe taking a couple of Benedryl as needed during the day will bring some relief. Get a good moisturizer. I have read lots of articles on dry skin and many people use baby oil. Take a bath, get really wet and after you have dried off, immediately put on your lotion, cream or whatever. Moist skin will just suck in all of that moisturizer. Let us know how your dry skin is behaving. Take care anuradha.m!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the dry skin problem, you may want to do some research on hypothyroidism. Many of the internet sources have lists of symptoms. If your find that you have other symtoms, them you may want to have the test done.
Hi Robert, I have my thyroids checked and no problem there. this is more like psoriasis and also some cellulitis due to peripheral newropathy. I dont want any strong medications like steroids, so trying out all the topical creams and solutions. As it is body has become a chemical factory with all insulins and tablets Iam taking, dont want to overload.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts