The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm Dr. Jen Nash, I'm a Clinical Psychologist with type 1 diabetes for 22 years.

I spent many years experiencing a number of difficult emotions connected to diabetes, including denial and depression. I am now committed to promoting a psychological understanding of the impact of managing diabetes.

I run a therapeutic service, 'Positive Diabetes' to work with others who are struggling with the often unrecognised emotional side of diabetes including depression, denial, anger, shame, anxiety and many more. I work in person, over the phone, by email and through educational resources and love to help people break free and cope more positively with their diabetes.

I'm looking forward to being involved in the forum!

Jen

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Dr. Jen welcome aboard! You can be very helpful here. it is a small diabetes site but there are definitely people here who can use some professional guidance.

Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there,

I'm Dr. Jen Nash, I'm a Clinical Psychologist with type 1 diabetes for 22 years.

I spent many years experiencing a number of difficult emotions connected to diabetes, including denial and depression. I am now committed to promoting a psychological understanding of the impact of managing diabetes.

I run a therapeutic service, 'Positive Diabetes' to work with others who are struggling with the often unrecognised emotional side of diabetes including depression, denial, anger, shame, anxiety and many more. I work in person, over the phone, by email and through educational resources and love to help people break free and cope more positively with their diabetes.

I'm looking forward to being involved in the forum!

Jen

Dr. Nash:
Are these emotional side effects due to the diabetes or the meds? I am curious because at times a get disapointed and sad that I have diabetes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your welcome!

Cheenchie, the experiences I was referring to were emotional effects of dealing with diabetes. Many people mange their diabetes with no emotional problems at all but for others, the daily requirements of managing diabetes can be a huge challenge - juggling medication, injections, blood glucose monitoring, regular clinic visits along with all the usual stresses of life - which can put people with diabetes at real risk of developing difficulties with low mood.

Feelings of sadness, low mood and depression are caused by a combination of biological, psychological and social factors. This means that some people are more predisposed experiencing these feelings due to family background and early experiences, but factors such as thinking styles, coping styles and the level of social support available are also crucial.

Examining our thinking styles can really help us to manage our emotions towards diabetes, including sadness and disappointment, and other things that may distress us in life.

Cheenchie, to learn more about this you may be interested in my free guide ‘Top 10 Tips for Living a More Positive Diabetes Life’ which is available to download from my website, which you can find in the 'Contact Info' section of my profile.

Do get in touch if you'd like to talk more.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Was it an email or a private message here on this site? If it came to my email then it probably arrived in my junk mail since we have not corresponded there before. I may not have recognized your name and deleted it. I delete 90% of my junk mail without opening them to avoid computer viruses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts