The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm Sue, I don't have diabetes but my mother was diagnosed with type II about 8 years ago. She is currently waiting for cataract surgery, I am not sure whether this is age related or diabetic related given my mother's age, possibly a bit of both.

The only dietary changes she has made is sugar to sweetners, solid fat "lard" to solid vegetable oil "lard" and initially changed to a polyunsaturated spread but she is now using her preferred spread so she can still bake her lovely buns and cakes.

Everytime I suggest something like don't deep fry, try oven chips (I haven't a clue - but my thought process is that oven chips will have less saturated fat). I bought her one of those George Forman grills, which has never been use. All I get is "I know what I should have, and the doctors has told me I can have...".

She has KFC because she is allowed chicken. Whilst this is comical I'm at my wits end. The problem is if I push her too far we will end up falling out which is something I don't want to happen.

I can't believe the things the doctor and nurse has told her she can eat and drink, unless of course they have suggested in "moderation". Now that's a word my mum doesn't comprehend.

Her sugar levels seem to have risen along with colesteral levels, blood pressure, I have lost count of the number of tablets she is on. At her last check-up her potassium levels were so high it was damaging her kidneys.

Mum seems to think she can eat what she likes take a pill and all will be well.

Any ideas, I have thought about having a word with the GP, as she will not listen to me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Sue. I am a Type 2 for 4 years. Before diabetes I ate not fat, not meat, no cheese and followed the low fat, higher carb advise. My cholesterol numbers, BP, and BG's were through the roof. I now eat a very low carb diet, but eat lots of real natural fats. I eat real organic butter, coconut oil, nitrate free bacon, oilve oil and tons of nuts and nut butters. Since I added real fat my bgs have fallen to below 100 most of the day. I really do think nutritionists are giving terrible advise when they tell D's to avoid protein and fat and eat whole grains instead. The fact is that carb cause bg to rise. It doesn't matter whether they are white or brown. So when your mom bakes it is not the fat that makes her unhealthy but the flour she uses. One cup of flour has 96 carbs. 2 slices of whole grain bread have 45 carbs, 2 ounces of pasta has 41 carbs. Most fruits , depending on size have between 18-30 carbs per serving. As you can see carbs add up fast. When you have diabetes you cannot metabolise carbs as a non diabetic would. The solution is to lower your mom's carbs. We have lots of bakers on this forum but we use alternative ingredients- not wheat flour. She can still make cookies, cakes and muffins but she needs to alter her ingredients. Welcome to the fourm.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi Sue. I am a Type 2 for 4 years. Before diabetes I ate not fat, not meat, no cheese and followed the low fat, higher carb advise. My cholesterol numbers, BP, and BG's were through the roof. I now eat a very low carb diet, but eat lots of real natural fats. I eat real organic butter, coconut oil, nitrate free bacon, oilve oil and tons of nuts and nut butters. Since I added real fat my bgs have fallen to below 100 most of the day. I really do think nutritionists are giving terrible advise when they tell D's to avoid protein and fat and eat whole grains instead. The fact is that carb cause bg to rise. It doesn't matter whether they are white or brown. So when your mom bakes it is not the fat that makes her unhealthy but the flour she uses. One cup of flour has 96 carbs. 2 slices of whole grain bread have 45 carbs, 2 ounces of pasta has 41 carbs. Most fruits , depending on size have between 18-30 carbs per serving. As you can see carbs add up fast. When you have diabetes you cannot metabolise carbs as a non diabetic would. The solution is to lower your mom's carbs. We have lots of bakers on this forum but we use alternative ingredients- not wheat flour. She can still make cookies, cakes and muffins but she needs to alter her ingredients. Welcome to the fourm.
Well said, perfect.

Good Luck Sue. its hard to change, and harder to want loved ones to change when they just wont

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your reply, you have put my mind at rest, I will try to talk to her about her carb intake.

G

·
welcome Sue :) you're right to not push your mum because at the end of the day she is the one to make the choices about her health. But certainly give advice when you see the opportunity to do so. I agree with others here that low carb is the way to go. Although I'm not a believer in increasing fat intake either. I still have low fat diet myself and that's because I have heart disease history in my family... I'm not prepared to trial higher fat intake. If I do eat fats I stick to the good fats mostly. I generally only cook with olive oil and I use low fat cholesterol reducing margarines. Nuts and avocados for example are full of fat... but good fat. When choosing meat I look for lean stuff (I've never liked fat on meat all my life... I gag). Even with lean cuts you'll find me trimming any remaining fat off it. Meat has saturated fat which isn't good for you anyhow. I'm not sure if you've heard of the "Blood type" diet? It's interesting because apparently I'm supposed to be vegetarian according to that diet... although I have noticed all my life that I only like small amounts of meat with lots of veges. So maybe your mum has a blood type where she can eat lots more meat if that is what she craves? Well that's my two bobs worth... you'll find everyone here does have different opinions for various reasons. The best thing is to find what works for your mum... hopefully your mum is keen to do that for herself.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Sue. What you've seen here already is what it's all about . . . diabetes is ALL ABOUT CARBS! Protein & fats do not raise blood glucose . . . well, protein can in large amounts, and people on insulin will often need to bolus for the protein they eat, but for the most part, protein & fats are safe foods. High fiber carbs are pretty safe too . . . veggies like artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, caulflower, kale, celery, spinach & other leafy greens . . . all very good choices for PWD (persons with diabetes).

Grains, and anything MADE with grσins, is going to be troublesome. As jwags has said, your mom will need to use alternative flours in her baking, if she gets serious about controlling her diabetes.

My friend PowerPumper has put it very succinctly:
[We] have a dangerous disease. The complications can be very devastating. Simply taking your meds or your insulin to keep your sugars down is not good enough. A healthy diet and regular exercise are vital. Aim for a healthy body and mind; don't simply rely on pills and needles.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello and :welcome: Sue! Come on in and get comfortable :couch2:
I am sorry that your Mother has not been properly advised on her diet. You have to get your carbs under control. She needs to be testing after meals to see how high food spikes her. Try to see if you can get her into testing more often. There is a lot of information on here to read and you can become an educated non-diabetic. You can help your Mom, there is always hope! Hope you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I was diagnosed I was never warned about carbs, either. I couldn't figure out why I was diabetic because I never ate sugar. Through lots of bg testing I found the carb- bg spike connection. It is amazing when you start to limit carbs, especially the processed ones the bgs automatically go lower and your meds work so much better. We have great recipes in the food section. Another good recipe site I use is Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home I have found by reducing carbs like wheat flour and substituting almond flour, flaxseed, whey powder, coconut flour or other nut meals you can still make all sorts of yummy snacks and desserts. The other thing I found is by reducing processed food with chemicals my type 2 body works better. I really think all the chemicals we take in mess with our signaling system. So I eat real food, real meat, real veggies, real nuts. If it comes in a box or bag I don't buy it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks guys, your posts have really opened my eyes. I am going to have a word with her sister (my Aunt) who is a lttle older than mum, so she just might listen to her. Even if we have to suggest "why don't you try... "

I really don't think mum has been ill-advised I think she has misunderstood. Her diet sheet contains three columns: -

Foods she can eat freely,
Foods she can eat in moderation;
Foods she has to avoid.

Mum eats foods from all three columns, rather like a slimming diet and the last column being likened to sin foods whereby you are allowed so many sins a day.

As some have said it is up to her, provided she understands exactly what harm she is doing eating the wrong stuff. At her age I have thought what the hell, let her enjoy her food and life, but then she says things indicating that she believes she is doing things right.

I will just have to keep chipping away when the opportunity arises.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your advice.

G

·
hi Sue
Sounds like a good plan to get someone your mum listens to involved.
It might even be a good idea to get your mum to see a dietitian... preferably one that works with diabetics so that she has an understanding about portion sizes and what foods are good and what is bad.
Here our dietitians teach us to use the plate method as to what ratio of foods we should be eating. Eg. they say half the plate should be non starchy vegies, a quarter of the plate should be a lean protein, and the other quarter of carbs... preferably low GI (as it releases energy more slowly in your blood stream and doesn't cause your sugar to spike and then suddenly drop). Now some people may even eat less carbs than this... it depends on individuals really. But really the plate shouldn't have more than a quarter of carbs on it as a general rule. Maybe this sort of explanation would be helpful for your mum? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts