The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Well first let me say that I am happy to have found this forum! I was diagnosed with TypeII some three years ago now. I have not really conformed to what my drs told me to do with this disease and now I feel that I really need to buckle down and abide by what my drs tell me. I was put on Glipizide 10mg for about a year which seemed to work just fine. I have now gotten health insurance(didn't have it for a number of years) and also a new doctor. She ordered an A1C and the results were high she said. She did not however tell me what the numbers were. I was put on Metformin 1000mg.X2 which she told me to start out with slowly. I take 1/2 a pill in the am and the other half after dinner. She said to slowly increase to the total dosage once my body adjusts to this new med. I am finding that with just the smaller dosage, I get lightheaded after about two hours of taking the pill. But then I am fine. I am also taking BP med, Zestril 10mg. and Lipitor 10mg. On top of all of this I also have an ileostomy due to severe ulcerative colitis which I have had for 26 yrs now. It was my life safer. I suffered through the pain and agony of UC for a couple of years after the birth of my only child. It got to the point where I could no longer function, literally. I was near death my doctor told me, and was brought in for emergency exploratory surgery. In the OR my large colon perforated on the operating table it was so diseased. I was given a temporary colostomy, and after a month of bedrest, I had my permanent ileostomy performed. The road was long and very difficult for me. I ended up getting a divorce(my then husband didn't find me desireable with a bag) so I picked myself up, and raised my only child alone. If it weren't for my wonderful parents who helped me out in so many ways, I don't know where I would be today. I was hospitalized for a total of three months ICU. I had complications from surgery, a blood clot on the lung, one in the leg and ended up getting a staph infection in my incision. So as you can see I have been through the wringer! I am now onto the later stage of my life and feel that it is time to take better care of myself. With this diabetes diagnosis, I know in my heart that I really need to conform to taking care. My only son, Matthew, is my rock in this world. I thank God daily for bringing him into my life. He is now 29years old but he is still my "baby boy". I will post often and hope that this forum gives me alot of the information that I seek in controlling this new diagnosis.

Thanks,
Annmarie

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Annmarie:

Wow, you certainly have been through the mill. Isn't Life
cruel sometimes? You sound like you are positive, hopeful
and motivated though which is Very helpful in controling
this and most other diseases.

I'm Glad that you have your Rock, your Baby Boy Mathew.
I'm sure that he's your beacon in the dark. I know what you
mean. My Baby Boy is 26 and my Baby Girl is 22. :D I truly
cherish them both.

We are Very glad to have you here. If we don't know the info
that you need concerning Diabetes then we will do our Best to
find it for you. We Welcome you, your questions, comments,
etc. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts