The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I was diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor at the time (who is no longer my doctor) wanted to prescribe lipitor to lower my cholesterol. I remember reading an article somewhere about the negative effects on your liver caused by lipitor, and the advantages of curing this ailment with a vegan diet. I told my doctor about what I read and he told me that it was impossible. He told me that my high cholesterol had nothing to do with my diet. He said it was all genetic in nature and there was nothing I could do about it except take medication. I refused the medication and went and searched for a cure on my own. I found VegSource on the web and learned a great deal about the vegan diet. I also learned that my doctor owned a Nathan's Hotdog Restaurant and he was receiving all paid vacations from a pharmaceutical company or every 20 prescriptions of lipitor he wrote. I came back to him three months later and we did another blood test. My cholesterol went from 385 down to 126 in 90 days. He wasn't too excited.

I walked away from the vegan diet for about 2 years. I decided that it was time to start thinking about my health again as I am now approaching 50, so I quit smoking cold turkey. It was hell for the first 30 days but now I am over 50 days and it is fine. I don't miss them at all and I don't think about them anymore. If anyone is interested in how I managed to do that just ask. But anyway, I went back to see my doctor and did another blood test. This time my cholesterol was 330 and my glucose was 340. That was two weeks ago. I put the diet back into motion, but this time I have to watch carbs and foods high on the glycemic index. I am following Dr. Neal Barnards Program for Reversing Diabetes. I have a OneTouch Mini glucometer and test twice a day. My numbers are down between 80 and 125. I am also back in the gym on the treadmill each day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Testing twice a day would never be enough for me, but if it works for you as well as you say it does, go for it, Billy. Eating to our meters is the best option, whatever foods we choose to eat.

As far as dietary cholesterol being a huge contributing factor in serum cholesterol, it is NOT. Fully 80% of the cholesterol in our bodies is manufactured BY our bodies. Only 20% or less comes from dietary sources.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Mr Vegan

Hello and welcome! It is obvious that you know what to do with your diabetes and your cholesterol problem. Now, if you stick with your program, you will be in good shape. The gym is also a great idea. I have been a diabetic for 64 years and I have good health. I use very tight control. That is the only way I can stay healthy.

Good luck to you in the months ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A few years back I was diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor at the time (who is no longer my doctor) wanted to prescribe lipitor to lower my cholesterol. I remember reading an article somewhere about the negative effects on your liver caused by lipitor, and the advantages of curing this ailment with a vegan diet. I told my doctor about what I read and he told me that it was impossible. He told me that my high cholesterol had nothing to do with my diet. He said it was all genetic in nature and there was nothing I could do about it except take medication. I refused the medication and went and searched for a cure on my own. I found VegSource on the web and learned a great deal about the vegan diet. I also learned that my doctor owned a Nathan's Hotdog Restaurant and he was receiving all paid vacations from a pharmaceutical company or every 20 prescriptions of lipitor he wrote. I came back to him three months later and we did another blood test. My cholesterol went from 385 down to 126 in 90 days. He wasn't too excited.

I walked away from the vegan diet for about 2 years. I decided that it was time to start thinking about my health again as I am now approaching 50, so I quit smoking cold turkey. It was hell for the first 30 days but now I am over 50 days and it is fine. I don't miss them at all and I don't think about them anymore. If anyone is interested in how I managed to do that just ask. But anyway, I went back to see my doctor and did another blood test. This time my cholesterol was 330 and my glucose was 340. That was two weeks ago. I put the diet back into motion, but this time I have to watch carbs and foods high on the glycemic index. I am following Dr. Neal Barnards Program for Reversing Diabetes. I have a OneTouch Mini glucometer and test twice a day. My numbers are down between 80 and 125. I am also back in the gym on the treadmill each day.
I have high cholesterol in addition to T2 diabetes. I have had 2 doctors tell me that high cholesterol is genetic. I have no reason to not believe them. I don't know of any other way to eat. I don't want to eat a vegan diet since I do enjoy meat. I wish you mush success in your new ways of fending off cholesterol and your new diet.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Hello and Welcome Billy!

I never really gave much thought about my cholesterol except mine went from 239 down to 145 and the only change in my diet after diagnosis was lowering carbs. My HDL is low though at 38.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you walk away from the vegan diet for 2 yrs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and Welcome Billy!

I never really gave much thought about my cholesterol except mine went from 239 down to 145 and the only change in my diet after diagnosis was lowering carbs. My HDL is low though at 38.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you walk away from the vegan diet for 2 yrs?
Ha Ha. I fell in love.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts