The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm Henry Edwards from Shreveport LA. I've had Type I since, 1989, the year I graduated from College. I've been on the pump since March 2011. Recommend it.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Henry, welcome aboard! I'm glad you are having success with your pump. I have pumped for 4 years and wish I had started 20 years earlier. After 65 years with type 1, I am very healthy. If we take good care of ourselves, we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi and welcome Henry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Richard and others

Thanks for the welcome, Richard. I looked at this forum last summer and I enjoyed reading your story, which I gather is now a book. In 22 yrs of Diabetes, I've had decent health, no serious complications, no eye problems yet. Most of my years on MDI, I hovered around 7.0 on the Ha1c, but the last couple of years, those readings have creeped upward, and that lead me to switching to the pump.

On to a related topic, anyone out there have an opinion about the sensor? I did a month of it and I am not convinced it will help my Ha1c much. It's not accurate, so I end up doing more fingersticks since I don't believe anything it says (maybe that's the real reason it's supposed to lower your Ha1c!).

Hello Henry, welcome aboard! I'm glad you are having success with your pump. I have pumped for 4 years and wish I had started 20 years earlier. After 65 years with type 1, I am very healthy. If we take good care of ourselves, we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Henry, the pump is far better than the sensor for getting good blood sugar control, and having lower A1c's. Using carb counting, knowing your insulin sensitivity levels and testing frequently are all important in getting improved control. The book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh is a good guide to follow in learning to use a pump properly.

The CGMS (with sensor) enables you to see "trends" that tell you when a high or low is approaching. Knowing ahead of time enables you to take an appropriate action that prevents the highs or lows from becoming worse. I enjoyed using mt CGMS for 8 months last year and had far fewer highs and lows. Then my insurance situation changed and my CGMS is no longer covered. I cannot afford to continue using it. Medicare will not cover a CGMS. Maybe they don't because they know they are not that accurate, like you said. They are very useful, even when they are not always accurate, because of being able to see the trends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, my name is Dennis and I have been a diabetic for 55 years. I live in PA and have enjoyed a much longer life than doctors said I ever would.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Long Life

Hello, my name is Dennis and I have been a diabetic for 55 years. I live in PA and have enjoyed a much longer life than doctors said I ever would.
Hi Dennis welcome to the sight. I'm glad you found us and will be good to read your posts.
With today's medical abilities its possible to live a very long, even extended life with diabetes.
How do you stand those cold winters there? Brrr, I left the cold of Nebraska over eight years ago and never looked back!

Gene

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Henry, glad to have you aboard!

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Henry! Glad you've joined the fray.

I also want to say to all you long-term T1's - I'm only 3 1/2 years into this journey and you are all inspirations to me. I had 52 years without T1 and I'm certain that with good control going forward I'll have many years with it. Thanks so much for telling your stories.

Jen

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Henry . . . Dennis . . . hello and welcome to both of you. Looking forward to getting better acquainted & I hope you'll both be able to visit us frequently.

Take care & hurry back! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello from Shreveport

Hi Patdart, waving back to you from Shreveport. I did try to find a diabetes discussion in Shreveport a couple years back without any luck. If you know of any such thing similar to what we have here, online, that is live in the Shreveport area, send me a note.

Other than that, I look forward to useful feedback and discussion from all of you!

Henry

Hi there, Henry! I'm waving to you from Minden.

Welcome to a fantastic group of smart, motivated folk. Sorry you had to join this club tho'!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts