The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been a type 2 diabetic for about 6-7 years now. My first symptom was a numb toe after a really bad double ear infections. The ENT ask if I was diabetic because of the severity of the ear infections. I went and my fasting BS was high. I have been on Metformin since then. I have neuropathy in both feet. Numb, burning, sharp pains....it drives me crazy. My A1C is good...in the 7 range....but my fasting BS has been high lately....in the 170's. I have tried compression, every OTC cream....nothing helps my neuropathy. I don't sleep well and to add to it...I have RLS. I have been having aching thighs now too. Anyone have any advice?

·
Super Moderator
9,777 Posts
Hello Lisa B. Welcome to the forum but sorry you had to find us.

Complications from high blood sugar can occur above 140 mg/dL. In the past, members experiencing neuropathy reported that getting their BG to stay under 120 helped eliminate the neuropathy and it associated pains. It took time to get to this point and it will take time to heal. Most of us here believe that the recommended numbers for acceptable BG and A1c results are too high. There is no reason for us Type 2s not to shoot for an A1c of 5-6% or less. The best way to get our BG in a more normal range is to reduce the carbs we eat and test regularly. Click here for a detailed description of getting started on figuring out the testing protocol. Once you get it figured out what foods/portions keeps you under 120, testing can be greatly reduced and you can do spot checks. Fasting and A1cs are telling you more about the past. Post prandial numbers (after meals) are telling you what is going on now. As they go up or down, they will drive the fasting and A1c numbers.

I've heard that gabapentin helped for relief of the pain. You may want to ask your doctor about it to take temporarily until you have your BG levels down to where you don't need it any more.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Hello, Lisa B! Please let me welcome you, too.

Reducing the amount of blood glucose that you need to counteract is an excellent long-term strategy. I'll second mbuster's recommendation of the BloodSugar101 site as an introduction/how-to.

As for some of the other symptoms, I have neighbors with chronic pain related to cancer and they swear by CBD oil applied topically. Might be worth a try if you haven't tried it already. And my wife suffers from RLS; there seems to be a tie between electrolyte levels and her symptoms, so she tries to eat foods that keep up her potassium and magnesium levels. Avocados, mushrooms, salmon, spinach, tomatoes, and some nuts and seeds have high levels of these elements and fit into a low-carb eating plan. Supplements can help, too.

Gabapentin could work as well -- but since I have no experience with that directly or indirectly I'll leave that to mbuster's suggestion. :)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Welcome, Lisa B! I'm a Lisa B also:)
I've been a T2 for almost exactly 10 years now. I've avoided neuropathy so far, but I feel for you!
I'll third the recommendation of BloodSugar101. This site is also a great place for encouragement and support!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts