The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I just found out today that I am now a type 2 diabetic. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy 8 year ago which was diet controlled and went away after birth. I am now 6 weeks postpartum from my second pregnancy which was an insulin controlled gestational diabetes.

My most recent bloodwork was fasting 120 and 2 hour was 189.

I have no idea what to expect from here...

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello!

I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I just found out today that I am now a type 2 diabetic. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy 8 year ago which was diet controlled and went away after birth. I am now 6 weeks postpartum from my second pregnancy which was an insulin controlled gestational diabetes.

My most recent bloodwork was fasting 120 and 2 hour was 189.

I have no idea what to expect from here...

Any ideas or suggestions?
Hello RedHeadMommy and welcome to the forum although I'm also sorry to hear that you qualify for membership.

Diabetes is no fun, but with a sensible diet and exercise it can be controlled to help reduce (or ideally eliminate) the need for medication.

The next move, I suspect will be a discussion with your doctor as to treatment but you can get ahead of the game by some simple diet steps starting today. The offending items for us are the carbohydrates we eat all the time. Not just sugar, all carbohydrates. So step one is to cut back on things like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Any junk snacks are a no-no of course (that includes pizza)! :)

A web site you may find very helpful is Blood Sugar 101. Jenny Ruhl, the author is herself diabetic and she discusses the issues in a language that even folk from the UK understand! :D

It's well worth a good browse.

In the meantime, why not do a slightly fuller introduction - things like what problems you've already discovered and how you've coped? The forum has members of all ages and levels of severity of condition. They are all happy to help new folk, like me, get the benefit of their experiences rather than having to find out for themselves. So if you've got a question (or three), ask away, someone will be able to offer help.

Welcome again, John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I'm sorry you had to join our club but there is tons of support here. Your fasting is not too high and with a little carb counting I am sure you can bring that down. Your after meal bg is a little high . Are you currently watching the amount of carbs you eat? Also are you nursing. Many of us manage our diabetes with a low carb diet, but if you are nursing check with your doctor. I have to take metformin 2550 mg and limit my carbs to less than 5 for breakfast 10-20 for lunch and about 10 for dinner. What we like to do is something called, "Eat to our Meter". Test your bg 2 hours after you start eating. Ideally it should be 120-140 or less. I choose less and like to keep it around 110. Once in awhile it will go to 120 but I don't let it go higher than that. If I overeat carbs, like during the holidays it will take me 2-3 days to get back to low 100's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome! Sorry you had to join but you will find everyone very helpful and nice. I, too, have been recently diagnosed and I have good and bad days. Just remember to test your bgs often in the beginning to see which foods cause u to spike and then eliminate them from your diet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes & advice! I saw my doc this afternoon and was subscribed metformin 500mg to start two times a day. They drew more labs to check my A1C and may need to add more meds depending on results. I'm to test twice a day. And they were not very clear on my diet so I'm planning on doing low carb.

With new years eve tomorrow, I'm going to wait to start my meds until Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
And they were not very clear on my diet so I'm planning on doing low carb.
Wise choice - no matter what they should tell you about diet. And not starting metformin on New Year's is also smart - there's always a chance of gastric upset and it wouldn't do to have this on New Years!

Have a Happy one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Redheadmommy and welcome, I've been lurking on this site for quite sometimes and recently decided to join. I'm too a newly dx diabetic, I had GD with my son and was insulin dependent started around week 30, my numbers were great for 8 weeks following the delivery of my son but went high after that, at 10weeks postpartum check my FSBG was 106 and HbA1C was 6.5.
I cut down on my carb (i'm not really counting carb, more like cutting out the "white stuff"), alot of walking and lost about 20lbs. My endo wants to eventually put me on metformin and statins, but we will see, I really don't want to be on meds unless i have to.
It might be overwhelming at first but it does get a little easier.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine Red

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I start my Metformin tomorrow... What should I expect? Should I take it with meals? I'm supposed to take it twice a day!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Yes, I'd take it with meals at least in the beginning. You could get some gastric upset - diarrhea is common, but often goes away in time, or with a switch to the ER (extended release) version.

Hopefully you'll have no side effects at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well day #2 of LCHF & metformin .... Fasting was 151 again. Can anyone suggest some reading or info on testing a the LCHF diet? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Well day #2 of LCHF & metformin .... Fasting was 151 again. Can anyone suggest some reading or info on testing a the LCHF diet? Thanks!
I'm lucky enough not to need medication at the moment but I understand that metformin does take a while before it reaches full effect. That might be part of the issue?

On the diet, I suggest giving Blood Sugar 101 a good going over. In particular the section on lowering blood sugar How to Lower Your Blood Sugar describes the process in detail.

As a parting note - please, please stick with it - it does work!

John;)

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
redheadmommy said:
I'm not surprised at a high fasting number just starting the LCHF diet. If I understand the diet correctly, you are in a constant state of ketosis. At the start this may result in higher than anticipated numbers as your body burns its stores. These should begin to stabilize as the diet progresses.

Someone correct me if I'm off base on the understanding.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I'm not surprised at a high fasting number just starting the LCHF diet. If I understand the diet correctly, you are in a constant state of ketosis. At the start this may result in higher than anticipated numbers as your body burns its stores. These should begin to stabilize as the diet progresses.

Someone correct me if I'm off base on the understanding.
What you says makes sense but I have to add that I didn't find I got too many funny numbers when I started eighteen months ago. But in any case, I agree that give it a few days to settle down and I think the results will improve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input! I was higher today at 156. Could I be eating too little? My fasting a couple weeks ago when I got diagnosed was 120. So I'm confused!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What foods are you actually eating on your LCHF plan, Red? I eat LCHF too, but it doesn't do much for my fasting numbers; if you check your postprandials, that's where you'll see the difference. My fastings are always the highest of the day, due to dawn phenomenon, but I'm able to lower my readings throughout the day, since I eat very few carbs.

I think for the time being, it would be good to override your doc's advice and check more often. You can't get a picture of how your body reacts unless you check after meals. Once you understand what happens when you eat certain foods, you can ease off the testing unless you introduce a new food.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Ok this is strange! I was bad and had wine last night and my fasting this morning was 114 from 156!
Red or white?
A modest quantity of red wine will help your blood glucose a bit. White wine, in particular sweet white wine will do the opposite.
Always remember though that mixing alcohol and medication must be done with great care.:)
John

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Diabetes 101, 7.7 seems to be the target to start. Is that correct? So if I test 2 hrs after a meal starts, and I am 7.7 or lower I'm good???
Or, am I missing something? Thanks, in advance for your help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts