The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Steve, I am from new jersey and I just turned 21, and I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 14.. Now the issue I have is that I feel like I don't take care of my diabetes as well as I should. My girlfriend and family tell me I have to start watching what I eat.. That's my big problem I eat alot of things I shouldnt like fast food, I eat burger king, mcdonalds, etc at least three times a week. When it's not fast food it's not anything you could at all call a good diet, the reason is that I can be a very picky eater. My sugars run high at least twice a day 200's or even higher, n i do not know why sometimes. I have seen a nutritionist before but that didnt quite help. I Also was wondering if anyone on here can explain to me why it is bad to drink Alcohol? Lol I honestly just want to correct myself in my errors with controlling this corruptive disease any feedback would be much appreciated thank you

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello my name is Steve, I am from new jersey and I just turned 21, and I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 14.. Now the issue I have is that I feel like I don't take care of my diabetes as well as I should. My girlfriend and family tell me I have to start watching what I eat.. That's my big problem I eat alot of things I shouldnt like fast food, I eat burger king, mcdonalds, etc at least three times a week. When it's not fast food it's not anything you could at all call a good diet, the reason is that I can be a very picky eater. My sugars run high at least twice a day 200's or even higher, n i do not know why sometimes. I have seen a nutritionist before but that didnt quite help. I Also was wondering if anyone on here can explain to me why it is bad to drink Alcohol? Lol I honestly just want to correct myself in my errors with controlling this corruptive disease any feedback would be much appreciated thank you
Hi Steve and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and make yourself confortable :couch2: There is a lot to learn from all the information on the forum. Read what interests you and if you can't find something, just do a search by using the search box on the forum page. So your diet isn't the best? I have had a few times when I knew that my diet had to change. When I learned about carbs, it made everything easier for me. I hope you have the time to visit often and take care. Also remember that you have to be the one to change your diet, having a bunch of officers from the food police rarely helps. I don't like people who try and tell me how to eat. I am responsible enough to know how need to eat.

G

·
welcome Steve :) I agree with Breeze... only you can change your diet. It's hard when you're picky with your food though I'd imagine. Perhaps one small step at a time is the way to go. Start with eliminating processed carbs from your diet... that's a good start. Try as best you can to stick to natural foods, or wholegrain carbs. Some people on this forum can get away with next to no carb intake... but considering you're on a insulin pump I'd say you probably would need the carb intake... just work out how much carbs you need and try and keep carb intake lower than you normally would. Everyone is different. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others. The good thing is you have already recognised you need to make changes. Whatever change you make, you've got to be able to stick to it. In regards to alcohol, you can drink it... it's just not a good idea to drink to excess as you want to stay in control. Drink beverages that have a lower carb content... eg. dry wines, vodka, gin, etc. Use tonic water to tone the drinks down if you need to reduce carb intake of the drink (eg. half tonic water/half beverage). Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
930 Posts
hi
they say that alcohol is toxic to the liver, remember that alcoholics can die from liver problems.
but they also say that people that drink just a little alcohol live longer than people that drink no alcohol.
so i would guess it is just a matter of degree.

ColaJim

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When I eat at a fast food place, I take my own bread with me. I have whole grain bread, low carb, only 8 carbs per slice. that bread works slowly, and the low carb keeps my bolld sugar from going very high. I NEVER eat fries!

I have been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy. I use very tight control. I think that is why I do not have any serious diabetes related complications.

Welcome, and good luck to you in the weeks ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
One thing to be careful of alcohol is that often you will have hypoglycemia after drinking it. Now if you are drinking sweet drinks like frozen margaritas or something like that then of course it can cause you blood sugar to be very high. But when I do have alcohol it is usually somethig like a glass of wine, or maybe a grey goose vodka in diet sprite (yummy). Drinks like those will tend to make you hypoglycemic so be sure and monitor your blood sugar after drinking. I have to admit, it gives me a good excuse to have a glass of wine with dinner if I am having pasta or something carby :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello my name is Steve, I am from new jersey and I just turned 21, and I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 14..
Hello & welcome, Steve; thank you for joining us. You've heard from our more knowledgeable members, and I keep a low profile because of my inexperience with type 1 and using insulin. I can, however, assure you that it is possible to change one's eating habits and even enjoy the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating required to prevent serious complications of diabetes. I'm one of those cases where if I can do it - ANYONE can do it. A dyed-in-the-wool carboholic for 60+ years, I now get about 50g of carbs per day, and I'm very happy eating this way. :D :D :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Steve,

I would hate to give any wrong information, but I read somewhere that when you drink alcohol, your liver stops putting out sugar (one of it's jobs) in order to deal with the "toxin" in your body. When the liver stops putting out sugar, you are likely to have dangerously low blood sugar levels. So, if you are going to drink, you need to make sure you have ate. Never drink on an empty stomach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts