The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im Olivia, and ive just been diagnosed with diabetes. I dont know what to do. Can you help me? Is there cure for this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, Olivia

Well, to be honest. You have a lot to do.

First, you have to do everything your doctor says. That?s include a great change in your life, and you can?t stop doing so. If you need of it, you may be using the right insuline for your therapy and you have to follow a diet. Also, you have to start an excersizes routine.

You must to keep always in mind that you must forget all foods with fats, sugar or alcohol.

Once your measures becomes more to the right side, you?ll be feeling better.

Sadly, there is no cure for diabetes for anybody at this time. Just a hope of a pancreas "graft", that is reserved for very special cases.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Olivia, I think that the most important thing is starting to know everything about diabetes, the diabetic people needs a lot of information to take care of themselves.
The basic pillars in the life of the people with diabetes are to have a healthy and balanced diet, to do daily exercises and to use the medication or insulin if it's needed.

Kisses!
Ana

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Olivia,

I'm a brand new member myself and I was diagnosed with type 2 about four years ago. Traditional medicine will no, diabetes cannot be cured or reversed, but I believe differently.

I've dedicatedmyself to doing so, and have done extensive research that supports the fact that it can be cured. I wouldn't say I'm there yet, but I'm very close to where I can say that it has been reversed. I've used different strategies built primarily around diet, supplementation and lifestyle modifications.

I commend you for taking the step that you have by asking questions, because the first step is to take charge of your health. How much is your blood glucose running now?

I would be very happy to share more with you. You can reply as a post, or with a private message.

Be encouraged Olivia. It doesn't have to be a death sentence.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Olivia. Getting that diabetes diagnosis can really throw you for a loop! You're among friends here - we've all experiences that sense of being overwhelmed and confused. The good new is that these feelings really will pass over time.

What type of diabetes do you have? Are you taking meds? What advice were you given by your doctor?

Contrary to some advice in an earlier response, you do not need to eschew all fat or even alcohol. You do need to moderate your carbohydrate consumption. Many people find that reducing or eliminating starchy carbs like rice, potatoes, pasta, corn, etc. really helps control blood sugar. You'll find that you can replace those calories with lots of fresh veggies, berries, and (yes) healthful fats like olive oil, avocados, nuts, butter, nut butters....it's a long list. I try to allocate my daily calories this way - 35% carbs, 30-40% fat and 30-40% protein. Things like alcohol can cause short term lowering of blood sugar followed by elevated blood sugar, but once you've found what works in your life, you'll be able to have some wine or a beer or a cocktail.

Make sure you have a glucose meter and lots of strips. In the begining you'll want to test to see what causes your blood sugar to spike (rise high and rapidly). To do this, test before you eat, then one and two hours after taking the first bite. Write down what you ate and the quantity. You'll soon find you have a great database of foods that don't cause big fluctuations and those that do. Then you can start to reduce or eliminate those things that cause you trouble.

Anyway, it looks like I'm writing a book, so I'll stop now.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Jen

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the big D

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse than eating bowl of sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BGL before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BGL spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BGL should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

·
Registered
8 Posts
I appreciate the good advice that you have provided for Olivia who was just diagnosed. I notice you also provided a link to mendosa's website. He is the first diabetic who I "met" on the web after I was diagnosed with type 2.

He has been a great encouragement to me as I shared with him my passion for reversing diabetes, and also for helping others to take charge of their health. Incidentally, I'm looking forward to meeting him later this month at a diabetic event.

I also invite you to look up Dr. Mark Hyman M.D. and let me know what you think of him.

Keep up the good work as you "walk the walk."

Looking forward to knowing you and all the other members more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jen,
I'm glad to see that someone provided some accurate information for our new diabetric Olivia. Such as the fact that she does not need to stay away from fats and alchohol (although I don't dring myself except for the occasional sip of red wine). But she does need to reduce or eliminate carbohydrates (contrary to what the AMA tells us).

All the more reason why we have to take charge of our health, right?

As you said Jen. Each person is different. what works for one person may not be very effective for another. What I've discovered in my research is that it is important to find out what was the cause of your diabetes in the first place. Yes it's insulin insensitivity (in the case of type2). But to reverse it we have to isolate the cause of it in each person's case.

For example in some cases it could be hormonal imbalance from the hormone regulating thyroid. Insulin, of course is a hormone, and if the thyroid is defective, all other efforts will prove fruitless. Sadly Jen, (approximately 50% of all thyroid problems are undiagnosed).

Anyway, i could go on but like you said in your response to Olivia, I feel like I'm writing a book.

Looking forward to talking more with you and the rest of the forum members.

Wishing you good health.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hahahahahaha! I didn't even look at the date of Olivia's OP, or the date of the reply which got me hot under the collar. What a looneytune. I like my answer anyway - timeless!

(a redfaced) Jen

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hahahahahaha! I didn't even look at the date of Olivia's OP, or the date of the reply which got me hot under the collar. What a looneytune. I like my answer anyway - timeless!

(a redfaced) Jen
Once there's been a recent response, it may not occur to us to check the dates. I only noticed because Olivia's status was "guest". THEN, I spotted the date. Ah well . . . we win some, we lose some . . . :D :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts