The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I am male, 45 this year. Just found out that I have type 2 diabetes a few days ago. Was totally shocked as I don't smoke, don't drink and exercise at least once a week. I may be overweight, BMI 29 but that should not be the main cause for it, right?

In addition, I also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure as well. So I am now taking quite a number of medicines a day.

I am still not used to taking so many medicines a day. Quite a number of times, I forget to take the medicine or take the wrong medicine. Can someone give some advice on how you cope with taking different types of medicine daily?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Tom, welcome to our little corner of the internet. Without more info from you I can only tell you that many of our members have controlled your stated problems with eating lc/hf and have been able to wean off many if not all their meds. So, if you eat that way, it may get easier to take the ones you end with in the correct order. It sure worked that way for me.

Read Blood Sugar 101 and many posts on this board and learn a lot.

Good luck,

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum!

We all know that shock you are feeling right now, but know things will calm down and you will get a handle on how to take care of all these medical issues. Take time and read through the link that Patdart gave you, you will learn so much there.

Another good site to take a look at is Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's The Diet Doctor. It is a good introduction to the low carb/high fat way of eating. Many of us here have had great success with lc/hf.

In answer to your question regarding managing your medications, go to a drug store and pick up a plastic pill box. There are several different sizes to fit your needs either daily, morning/evening, or even hourly. Find one that suits your needs and it will be a lot easier to keep track of what you have taken and what you still need to take.

Best of luck to you!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
The doctors will tell you that they are the 3 sisters who always travel together. Diabetes, (high) Cholesterol & Hypertension (BP). It's a load of rubbish that they propagate because they don't know any better. Actually it is our modern diet which is responsible for any or all of these problems. We (here) eat in a way the body is designed to eat, i.e High Fat, Moderate Protein & Low Carb. The links to some sites explaining this in greater detail have already been given to you. I'd recommend, read them, implement the things you learn, and you should be on your way to better health.
Good Luck

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Tom. Implementing the information found at the links you've been given will turn your life around. As skb has stated, the LCHF way-of-eating (WoE) can and will resolve high blood sugar, high cholesterol and hypertension, as well as weight. I say that with absolute assurance because I've experienced exactly that. I've also experienced a complete cessation of all the GERD symptoms I've battled for years.

As skb states, it's truly the way we were designed to eat . . . it's only been the last 50-60 years that fats have been demonized and our food has become loaded with carbohydrate because that's what the food industry replaces with when they remove good natural fats from good natural foods.

Many of our members have been able to get off their meds after following this WoE, and many others have been able to cut down a lot.

Until such time, I agree with VeeJay - go get a medtracker - it's keep things well organized for you.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Welcome, Tom

You've been given great advice. I know it's a lot to take in, but we can assure you that it will all get better. Once you lower carbs and, thus, lower your BG levels, you will find your thinking more clear and you will feel much better.

Stick around this forum, and read of the success so many of us have had by eating LCHF - both with our diabetes and with other health issues. It's a real win/win lifestyle.

Until such time, I agree with VeeJay - go get a medtracker - it's keep things well organized for you.
Shanny - that was grammaB, not me.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
If you find it difficult to even plan your meds with a pill tracker, you can get your pharmacy to put the pills in a disposable package that separates them into time of day for you. It may cost a little extra where you are, I think our pharmacy does it for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts