The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried Hi-Maize in baking bread ? Can it reduce the impact of bread on BG?

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've ordered a pound or two from Netrition.... Want to give it a try in making sourdough bread. I really crave bread from time to time.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use Hi Maize but mainly as a thickener in sauces. I haven't tried it in bread because I don't use any wheat flour because of the spikes I get. I'm not sure it would eliminate the spike from the flour. When I make bread I use almond flour and flaxseed.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I have used it in baking but not with wheat. Mostly corn bread. You can exchange up to 1/4 of the wheat with the RS as written. Mostly I just consume this stuff right out of the bag.

Has any one tried Hi-Maize in baking bread ? Can it reduce the impact of bread on BG?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the replies. I'm going to give it a try with sourdough bread. i really miss bread a lot and i read somewhere that the more sour the sourdough, the less impact on BS. Apparently the lactic acid that gives sourdough its characteristic taste also lowers the impact on BS slightly. Now I'm going to try a very very sour sourdough (slow fermentation) with Hi-Maize to see what the impact is. Perhaps it is just wishfull thinking from my side but I'm holding thumbs.....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Keep us posted, Francois . . . I do love sourdough, and kept a starter for many years and yes, I used very slow fermentation too - placing the unbaked loaves under refrigeration overnight before baking. Now I'm seeing blurbs that say slow-fermented sourdough is even safe for celiac patients. Not so sure I'd want to be the patient who tests THAT thesis. I know sourdough is lower on the glycemic scale, but it still spiked me as bad as any other bread.

Thx for the replies. I'm going to give it a try with sourdough bread. i really miss bread a lot and i read somewhere that the more sour the sourdough, the less impact on BS. Apparently the lactic acid that gives sourdough its characteristic taste also lowers the impact on BS slightly. Now I'm going to try a very very sour sourdough (slow fermentation) with Hi-Maize to see what the impact is. Perhaps it is just wishfull thinking from my side but I'm holding thumbs.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts