The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Penney Im new here and last yr dr told me Im borderline diabetic!!!

Please---I need help and advice--Ill fill you in what lead up to this and then please let the advice and tips roll!!! Im a basketcase!!!

Last May I went to the after hrs clinic--I thought I had a kidney or bladder infection--they did a bunch of tests and my #s our out of sight!!! BP 220/116!!! random finger stick 193 sugar in pee..I was a mess--

Next day I get into to see my dr--who sent me for a bunch of tests
this was

6-09 #s were 12 hr statvation 137 2 hr after eating 137 A1C 7.1

he said by loosing weight and watching what I eat could help lower the #s so next time the #s were

8-09 12 hr 122 2 hr after eating 133 no A1C this time

so I really buckled down--I hardly ate no before bed snacks nothing

I was cranky and hungry all the time but I was going to get the #S down!!!

10-09 12 hr 102 2 hr 193 --dr isnt sure what heppened there!!
A1C 5.9!!!

I felt good I did it!!! so I let my guard down just alittle and enjoyed some snacks--soooo

latest set of tests

1-10

12 hr 104 2 hr 106 A1C 6.2!!! I really thought since I lost 10 more lbs bewteen the last 2 sets of tests the #s would be just alittle lower!!!

I am really falling apart!!! Im working so hard to get the #s lower Im making myself nuts (not to mention my husband!!!)

Im not enjoying eating at all!!! No snacks!!! the funny thing now is we were comparing #s and now mine are better then my husband!!!!
and yet Im the one that has to watch what I eat and got dragged to a dieaticain that was a big waste of time!!!

Sorry this got so long but I wanted to make sure all the facts are out!
Are these #s that bad? Please help

thanks Ive learned alot help in just the few days since I found this site

·
Banned
31 Posts
welcome in this forum, I hope you feel comfortable and can be friends to anyone in this forum

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Those are good numbers, Penney. Welcome to our forum, and I hope you'll be able to accept that 5.9 and 6.2 are absolutely acceptable A1c levels.

As for going hungry all the time - that is certainly not necessary. If you prowl around reading our boards a bit, you'll find how many of us are able to eat well and keep our sugars in tight control without starving ourselves. It's more an issue of WHAT you're eating than how much. If you build your meals around proteins and a sensible amount of fats, your blood sugars will take care of themselves. The foods you need to limit are all the carbs - the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. Confine yourself to high fiber carbs like avocados, artichokes, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, spinach, even sweet potato (but don't add sugar!) Concentrate on meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheeses, nuts, etc., to fill you up.

What looks worrisome to me is your blood pressure. Have you been able to effect any improvement in that?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Buy a glucose meter and start testing at home. Test first thing in the morning and before you eat and 2 & 4 hours after eating. Keep track of what you eat. Keep records of your tests and food and take it with you the next time you see a doctor. This will give you some peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi Penney, good to meet you. Glad you found a place here on our forum. I think you have done a good job so far of controlling your diabetes with diet, exercise and some weight loss. I can see you have already gotten some good advice and I hope by browsing some of the topics and posts here you will pick up more tips to help you keep your numbers down.

I agree that you should get a meter and test at home sometimes to keep check of how you are doing. Walmart sells a Relion meter that is fairly inexpensive and the strips are very reasonable too. I would routinely check a fasting blood sugar in the morning at least ...plus some before and after meals to get an idea of what foods cause your blood sugar to go up and take long to come back down.

There is no need at all to starve. There are many good low carb choices that are good for snacking and meals that are quite filling. When you are shopping make note of the total carbohydrate count under the nutritional information on the label. Keeping your carb intake on the lower end is going to make a *huge* difference in managing your blood sugar. It isnt just sweets that are a problem....its all carbs. Carbohydrates turn into sugar right after you eat them so that big loaded baked potato is going to impact your blood sugar just as much as that cupcake.

Please do let us know how you are doing and I *really* hope that blood pressure has come down. I was actually more concerned about your blood pressure than I was your blood sugar numbers :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
now that went trough I tried before and I got a message that I didnt have permission--anyway thanks for the tips and concerns--you'll be happy to know my BP is down way down Ive had readings in the 104-107 range usually its in the 110-115 range I still feel like Im a mess--I really hate counting and mesureing what I eat--when Im hungry I just want to eat!!! The best I can describe how I feel is parnoid to eat, Im down most of the time, and hungry!!! besides cranky!!!

thanks for letting me vent--that helps too--also thanks so very much for the tips I will give them a try-the only one Ill have trouble with is the testing--I hate having it done at the dr office and I know Ill really be upset if the #s go up even alittle like the weight-I lost 4 lbs in 2 months!!!WOW and thats with hardly eating!!!

thanks again
take care all of you
Penney

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you get hold of your own meter and do testing at home, it'll be easier, and it only takes a minute.

As for weighing & measuring, I don't do it either. And I don't go hungry - I eat all I want of meat/poultry/fish/cheese/eggs/etc. I don't eat any carbs to speak of, so there's no problem with my blood sugars creeping up. If you're careful in choosing WHAT you eat, and steer clear of fast-acting carbs, you should be able to eat to satiety - until you feel full.

Now if this new account is working for you, we will have to delete the first one you opened, since forum rules prohibit having more than one user name. Is this the one you want to keep?

·
Registered
7 Posts
so far so good about being able to post --

do you have any idea why I got the message about not having permission to post?
thanks again Im really learning alot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts