The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I went to a new Dr complaining of hypothyroid symptoms. I have had the symptoms for years but nobody would listen and test me. I would say I struggled with symptons since my teens but in the past 3 yrs it has worsened. So finally found a Dr willing to listen and run a full thyroid panel. To weeks later I was told yes, I am hypothyroid oh and by the way also diabetic. My a1c was 6.5 and fasting glucose 152. So I was told to stay away from carbs/sugar and will retest in a few weeks from now. I bought a meter and strips and have been testing fasting and 2 hrs after meals. So far my fastings have been around 114 give or take and 2 hours after meals under 120. I also walk 3 milesa day. So I guess diet and exercise controlled. With the thyroid meds I have lost 17 pounds and still going. I have another at least 30 to go.

Glad to have found this site

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi there, and welcome to DF.

It may be that as you get your thyroid problem solved, your blood sugar will also moderate. Great work with your weight loss! That must be a real incentive to keep going.

Best of luck,
Jen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, and welcome to DF.

It may be that as you get your thyroid problem solved, your blood sugar will also moderate. Great work with your weight loss! That must be a real incentive to keep going.

Best of luck,
Jen

Thanks Jen, that would be nice.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You are doing very well, congratulations! If you stay with this routine, you will lose the rest of that extra weight and be in good shape. Your message left me with the impression that you are avoiding carbs. I hope you meant that you are cutting down on carbs, and avoidin faster acting carbs. i have found that eating 120 carbs per day leaves me with a lot of fatigue. Carbs are needed to supply energy for the daily activities. I am sluggish and even my brain does not function properly if I drop much below 120 carbs per day. Some people can function with fewer carbs than me, we are all different. I am 71 now, and I work out at a gym, so that is part of the reason I need more carbs.

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are doing very well, congratulations! If you stay with this routine, you will lose the rest of that extra weight and be in good shape. Your message left me with the impression that you are avoiding carbs. I hope you meant that you are cutting down on carbs, and avoidin faster acting carbs. i have found that eating 120 carbs per day leaves me with a lot of fatigue. Carbs are needed to supply energy for the daily activities. I am sluggish and even my brain does not function properly if I drop much below 120 carbs per day. Some people can function with fewer carbs than me, we are all different. I am 71 now, and I work out at a gym, so that is part of the reason I need more carbs.

Richard

Hi Richard,

No, I am pretty much eating minimal carbs. They judt react badly with my body. I eat about 50 carbs a day, hardly ever over 75. I sneeze a lot when I eat carbs so I must have an allergy or intolerance. I don't. Have low energy at all, as a matter of fact I have more energy when I avoid them

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Caren :) it sounds like you're making inroads to your weight loss goal there. I'm sorry to hear you were diagnosed with 2 things at once. It must have been a bit of a shock for you... but probably prompted you to get things right. As Richard has mentioned, carbs are still needed, but we're all so different. You need to find what works best for you. Maybe you are wheat intolerant? Maybe stick to oats and vegetable carbs if that works better for you. I'm a person that has to have carbs with every meal/snack. I really notice the difference if I don't as I get very unwell. I don't need that as I'm already unwell with other stuff right now. You'll find good support here. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
About 2 months ago I went to a new Dr complaining of hypothyroid symptoms. I have had the symptoms for years but nobody would listen and test me. I would say I struggled with symptons since my teens but in the past 3 yrs it has worsened. So finally found a Dr willing to listen and run a full thyroid panel. To weeks later I was told yes, I am hypothyroid oh and by the way also diabetic. My a1c was 6.5 and fasting glucose 152. So I was told to stay away from carbs/sugar and will retest in a few weeks from now. I bought a meter and strips and have been testing fasting and 2 hrs after meals. So far my fastings have been around 114 give or take and 2 hours after meals under 120. I also walk 3 milesa day. So I guess diet and exercise controlled. With the thyroid meds I have lost 17 pounds and still going. I have another at least 30 to go.

Glad to have found this site
Hello and welcome to the forum! We have a lot of information here, if you don't see what you are looking for, do a search. I hope you will feel comfortable here and have the time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Shanny if you ever make it to Midland to visit shout out :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Shanny if you ever make it to Midland to visit shout out :)
I sure will . . . here's a little blurb from the Midland Reporter-Telegram when my aunt Faye celebrated her 100th birthday in 2009. She's still there - will be 102 this year!
Best wishes and congratulations to Faye Daily, who celebrated her 100th birthday on Oct. 17. The day was filled with visiting with family and friends between the homes of her and her daughter, Rose McLennan, in Manor Park and her son and daughter-in-law, Marion and Judy Daily.
Eighty-two people from 13 states enjoyed a Texas-style dinner that evening at Green Tree Country Club. Proclamations were read in her honor from government officials, and the story of her life and an accompanying slide show presentation were presented.
The following day, the family attended services at St. Luke's United Methodist Church.
Faye, who is still very active, is an avid reader, enjoys playing cards and bingo, and doing crossword and jigsaw puzzles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts